Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Re-attaching veneer

Okay, woodworkers: Some of my cabinet doors have been water damaged, and the ply is coming apart. I'm thinking I'll have a local cabinet guy make new doors, but I'm wondering if it is possible to iron-and-glue the cabinet doors back together for the short term. It seems like the plys would have to be moistened and made plyable again...
Old 03-09-2005, 05:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I have a similar problem and will be experimenting with a couple of different products and techniques. Some are beyond repair and will have to be replaced.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Would a program of Gorilla Glue and clamps get you by? The ply on the permanent ledge of our foldaway table has the same problem. We are hoping to use that program to create a temp (or maybe better) solution to the separation rather than new ply with new veneer. I will try to update later in the year.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've fixed a couple spots with Elmers wood glue injected between the separated plys, and then clamped. They've held up very well for over a year. I did this on some panels in the kitchen that I didn't want to replace because I knew I could never match the stain on the rest of the cabinet. They weren't really wrinkled and water damaged though. If yours are really out of shape, you might want to try and get them flat first, then glue them. I don't think you could glue them while they were wet, so it would have to be a two step process. Just guessing though, because I haven't done that yet.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I went the same route with working the Elmers yellow glue down between the seperated plys and clamping togerther for a couple of days. Gorilla glue seems too stiff to get very far down the cracks. And then there's the problem of the glue foaming out and sticking everything together. Just as an aside, I went to the local hardwoods store for some lumber and veneer plywood the replace the cabinet for the folding table and bolster at the front gaucho. A 4X8 sheet of 1/4 in. ash veneer plywood runs $70 so a repair is always an option.
Good luck, Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
Craftsman

Actually Gorrilla Glue is a polyurethane glue and works best when the wood has a high moisture content (10%-25%). If the wood is really dry, moisten it before you apply Gorilla Glue' Without the bit of extra moisture a dry polyurethane glue joint could fail. Also use it sparingly, any extra that squeezes out creates a brown foam when it come into contact with air. Yellow glue doesn't hold laminations as well because of creep or the tendancy of the glue to move even when dry.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lincoln , Nebraska
Gorilla Glue is not intended for veneers, and, it's very messy and difficult to clean up. Yellow wood glue will work quite well but be sure to get the ply clamped down well......i.e. no air bubbles, and get any excess removed from the bare wood as it won't take stain or finish well over the glue.
77 R GO C MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Contact cement

can you get some contact cement in the gap?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #9
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Many of the cabinet doors were made with a cardboard core for economy and weight.The veneer panels on front and rear can be gently separated from the 2 " perimeter frame enough to work in a good wood glue and then reclamped with enough c-clamps and pressure boards to get them back to original. The key is to work on one or two runs of each side at a time as it takes alot of clamps. Glue only an area you can manage to clamp in 10 mins. I actually found a stamp inside that indicated A/S had them made in Japan!!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Japan? That's weird!

I used boards and clamped the piece being repaired between them. Just be sure not to have any on the outside of the piece, or obviously you'll glue it to the boards.

How big an area do you need to fix?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
When it rains, it leaks

Wow, thanks for the great responses! I haven't used Gorilla glue yet, but have seen it used for larger scale construction, ie gluing mdf to studwalls...

The problem areas are the cabinets next to the toilet, where water came in around the glass in the large end window in the bathroom. It puddled on the fiberglass and wicked up into the cabinet. The skylight was shot, water poured in there and the front gaucho doors are pretty shot. Actually, the wood frame of that gaucho was quite a mold farm. Truth be told, when I first saw the rig, I steped in the door and my foot went through the floor, so I was standing on the belly pan. Nearly the whole floor was shot, except for the bath, where it had already been replaced. The cabinetry in contact with the floor suffered... I'll try the glue/clamps/board method, and report back. I can probably have the doors re-made easily, but I'd kind of like to fix the originals.

thanks to all of you

Peter
Old 03-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
The posts on Gorilla glue are great information. Having used Gorilla glue in the past, I am still planning to use it. While it can expand and overflow if too much is used, and it can be messy, it can also be sanded after it is dried.

Luckily, we aren't trying to attach veneer, rather reattach the layers of plywood. We also have trim that runs the edge of the ledge so we have an easy cover-up in our use of Gorilla glue.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
veneer

Hi

I think I'll try the gorilla glue first, but no matter what, I was thinking that it would be good to slowly moisten the veneer, that it might be easier to smooth it out then? It seems to have expanded and spread out when wet, so it won't just lay down flat in the same place again. I thought that yellow wood glue might have enough moisture to do the trick. I had kind of thought of using clamps and big flat boards, and maybe wax paper between the ply and the boards, to contain the glue. Also, the wax paper could be sanded away with a fine grit...

We'll get to this soon.

Thanks for all the help
Old 03-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #14
Craftsman

Right, gorilla glue is not the ideal glue for veneer, but it's perfect for laminations which except for the face, is exactly what plywood is.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
We went the Elmers carpentry glue route with the veneer and clamping worked fine - for all the cupboard tops/edges - separating from humidity I guess. But to save any further damage by catching the top of the doors with finger nails we decided to trim out the tops with anodized brass - to pick up on the 69 brass trim package used. Those with the silver could do the same with silver trim.

We just had the one door where a 6 x 2 inch section had been pulled right off. So we borrowed some from the closet backing - not totally the same grain but the right thickness. So it is patched rather than replaced to keep it totally original.

The trim looks really nice on the tops and bottoms of all cupboard doors including the closet - it comes in 8 ft lenghts and applied with industrial two sided tape.

I had posted this a while back but could not find the thread - so here it is again for anyone who might be new. That shot was taken last Spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabs back in.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	10928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flooring.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	10929  

05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote