We went the Elmers carpentry glue route with the veneer and clamping worked fine - for all the cupboard tops/edges - separating from humidity I guess. But to save any further damage by catching the top of the doors with finger nails we decided to trim out the tops with anodized brass - to pick up on the 69 brass trim package used. Those with the silver could do the same with silver trim.
We just had the one door where a 6 x 2 inch section had been pulled right off. So we borrowed some from the closet backing - not totally the same grain but the right thickness. So it is patched rather than replaced to keep it totally original.
The trim looks really nice on the tops and bottoms of all cupboard doors including the closet - it comes in 8 ft lenghts and applied with industrial two sided tape.
I had posted this a while back but could not find the thread - so here it is again for anyone who might be new. That shot was taken last Spring.
Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.