Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Jim and Susan

Have not seen it since you enclosed the fridge, looks great! The color looks even better than the pictures.
Many bad experiences w/ uv esp. on fabric, but also on wood, keep it covered.

Kevin

Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #16
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking looks good....

your friend Eric has a really nice cabinet shop.....really really really nice and the work that comes out of that shop is beautiful....

ok...one question...the small pieces can be stained and put up in place....stained then installed....

when doing a wall piece as in a full sheet attached as a wall would you think that it should be stained in place...as in put the wood up and then stain...i have a project that needs walls and i am thinking of putting the wood up then staining it.... any ideas....

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Real Wood over old laminate

Replaced some of the panels in my 72 Tradewind and used Veneers on the rest. Stained after cutting before installation. Jim's birch looks really good. I used Red Oak. Closely matched the original Maple look and goes with the Tambour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0774.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	94581  
Old 01-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Looks Great!!!

You found some exceptional birch plywood. Most of the stuff I have gotten doesn't have nearly the character that does. The finish still doesn't look as dark as I was expecting from your initial post. That will also make fading less of an issue.

I would still close the curtains/blinds when I wasn't looking out the windows.

I look forward to more photos of your progress. My '83 Excella has what may be the penultimate ugly plastic on the bulkheads. If you look at the top in this photo, you can see the plastic peeling back! I'm looking at options for redoing the bulkheads and cabinet fronts.
Yuk! That is a mess! And way too dark, IMHO. I picked up on a post by Uwe (one of our resident geniuses here on the forums) in his '63 thread. I have been going thru the birch at our local Lowes for the last couple of years and every time one of 'em looks nice, I grab it. There does seem to be a wide range of looks when it come to the birch plywood. In case I didn't mention, this is plain old 4' x 8' birch ply. I think the stain helps the look a bunch.

Thanks for the advice on the UV issue.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
Jim and Susan

Have not seen it since you enclosed the fridge, looks great! The color looks even better than the pictures.
Many bad experiences w/ uv esp. on fabric, but also on wood, keep it covered.

Kevin
Thanks, Kev. Beer and BBQ next weekend, if yer game.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #20
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefields View Post
your friend Eric has a really nice cabinet shop.....really really really nice and the work that comes out of that shop is beautiful....

when doing a wall piece as in a full sheet attached as a wall would you think that it should be stained in place...as in put the wood up and then stain...i have a project that needs walls and i am thinking of putting the wood up then staining it.... any ideas....
Eric and his shop are available for hire if you need them.

All of the woodwork has been cut/stained/poly'd while in the shop or my back porch, with the exception of one bulkhead (the one next to what will be the sink). The one that was insalled first and then stained and poly'd had problems with runs in the poly phase of the install. I learned from that the best way was to have to wood laying horizontal when applying the coatings.

It probably takes longer to do it this way, but I only want to do this once if possible. We're at the phase where stuff is really starting to look great. I'm a little anxious to see how it's gonna turn out.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Yuk! That is a mess! And way too dark, IMHO. I picked up on a post by Uwe (one of our resident geniuses here on the forums) in his '63 thread. I have been going thru the birch at our local Lowes for the last couple of years and every time one of 'em looks nice, I grab it. There does seem to be a wide range of looks when it come to the birch plywood. In case I didn't mention, this is plain old 4' x 8' birch ply. I think the stain helps the look a bunch.

Thanks for the advice on the UV issue.

Jim
Agreed! Way too dark. In fact I probably wouldn't have stained the birch that you have at all, but I'm leaning toward someting really light for mine.

I was originally thinking ash or birch finished completely natural. I have some friends that make custom corporate jet interiors who have offered to let me pick through their veneer scraps. I saw a piece of birdseye maple that started me thinking, but it is a premium veneer. There is a lot of area in a 34' Excella too. I'm trying to come up with the extra cash for that, but it may take a while.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #22
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
..... I have some friends that make custom corporate jet interiors who have offered to let me pick through their veneer scraps. I saw a piece of birdseye maple that started me thinking, but it is a premium veneer......
Now THAT would be a great resource!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Staining the easy part

Used the Minwax Provential 215 Stain. Just rub it on and its done quickly. It would be a mess to do in the trailer. Used Red Oak veneers and glued over most of the plastic panels. Then added a coat of urethane to protect it. That I did after install with a spray can and a brush.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Jim,
Thank you for all the great info about your wood replacement. My 70 model does have the plastic veener...hate it. I love yours and definately will replace the plastic walls. Mine is mostly gutted. In the process of replacing the floor rot and adding a grey tank. Looking forward to the day I can move on to a more fun project. Are you replacing your kitchen cabinet too?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Wow, the interior is looking great, Jim! Has this been posted on your other thread yet? Did I miss it? That birch looks fantastic. You've done a great job at picking through and finding some very nicely figured pieces.

And I agree with the others-- keep it all closed and dark to protect the wood. If you're doing custom curtains, you might consider blackout lining on the backside to protect the good front side that shows to the interior. I still need to get some photos up on my thread and blog, but after they finished my mattress covers and bolster covers, I had my "sweatshop" create some new curtains in the bedroom, and they lined the curtains in this manner. It completely blocks the light so no chance of sun damage, plus you can sleep in as late as you like whilst camping!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #26
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Wow, the interior is looking great, Jim! Has this been posted on your other thread yet? Did I miss it? That birch looks fantastic. You've done a great job at picking through and finding some very nicely figured pieces.

And I agree with the others-- keep it all closed and dark to protect the wood. If you're doing custom curtains, you might consider blackout lining on the backside to protect the good front side that shows to the interior. I still need to get some photos up on my thread and blog, but after they finished my mattress covers and bolster covers, I had my "sweatshop" create some new curtains in the bedroom, and they lined the curtains in this manner. It completely blocks the light so no chance of sun damage, plus you can sleep in as late as you like whilst camping!

-Marcus
Thanks! I haven't updated the Full Monte thread yet. I was going to wait until I get the cedar installed in the clothes closet and the cupboard shelves in. The doors are going to wait while we build the new "gaucho" type seating area up front. Eric has a really nice piece of cherry that he's going to trim out around the units in the pictures above. This is truely the fun part of the resto.

Thanks for the tips on the curtains. Susan and I are still arguing, er, discussing how to make those. She wants me to hire those out, I want her to take a shot at it first. Maybe I'll have to learn how to sew (Danger Will Robinson, Danger!).

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #27
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
Jim,
.......Looking forward to the day I can move on to a more fun project. Are you replacing your kitchen cabinet too?
Yep, it'll be built along the same lines as the other woodwork, but we don't have a final plan yet.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 01-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Yep, it'll be built along the same lines as the other woodwork, but we don't have a final plan yet.

Jim
I've just begun mulling over designs in my mind for the galley cabinetry myself. I am pretty sure I'm going to go down to a 1-bowl sink to gain back some much-needed counter space, and I'm going to build in a counter-height pull-out pantry, inspired by the work done by Uwe on his 63. Eliminating the extra sink bowl, as well as removing the old furnace, should give me enough room for this addition. I hope!

On the other side, the tall pantry will still be used for some food and dishware items, but it will also house the microwave (as it currently does) and serve as the media closet where the satellite receiver and DVD/Blu-Ray player will be remotely located.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote