Old 02-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Question Further Armor All question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0bright View Post
I would recommend Armor All for your clarinet. It will provide the fingerprint and UV protection you need.
I am not sure if someone is pulling my leg or not about an ABS Clarinet...but I would like to know if Retr0bright is telling us to use Armor All on our Airstream ABS items.
And if so, does he suggest that this only be done after the "bleaching" chemical cleaning treatment?
That is; if it is done before the "bleaching", would that negate or hinder any subsequent "bleaching" from taking effect?

By the way I am very glad to see this thread resurrected and glad that Retr0bright is still with us and monitoring it.

SEE ALSO >>>> http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Using+Retr0Bright

and

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...tic-50799.html

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #30
Extreme Alchemist

Manchester , UK
Yup,

I would only suggest using Armor All or a UV Protective paint after the Retr0bright treatment; the idea is to seal off the surface of the ABS, to prevent oxygen from re-attaching to the bromine and making it go yellow again.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Ithaca , New York
Send a message via AIM to SilverSky Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSky
I had already sanded my bathroom fixtures for painting. I am definitely going to try this on them. Then I'll consider the window wraps and end caps.

One question for RetrOBright or anyone who has tried this... how much does the original recipe make? In other words, how much coverage will I get with one recipe? A rough idea would be helpful so I know how much stuff to buy (save multiple trips to town, save gas).

Besides being happy to find this solution to try, I also think it's great that RetrOBright (Merlin) and others are making old computer equipment and other items more appealing for continued or re-use. Kudos!
WBCCI 8185
TAC NY-123
SilverSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #32
Extreme Alchemist

Manchester , UK
At a guess, a pint of the gel will coat a 17" monitor with about three coats. I suppose that is about half a bathtub in area.

If you are looking to save gas and cash, buy a 5 gallon of Urine Rescue; that stuff is 35% peroxide and will make 15 gallons of the optimum peroxide strength. A 1lb. tub of Oxiclean will go a long way, as will a pint of glycerine and a pound of Xantham Gum.

Could the guys that have treated large areas on here give a better estimate of the coverage?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Ithaca , New York
Send a message via AIM to SilverSky Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSky
I started the RetrOBright process on my '73 Safari 23' ABS plastic bathroom fixtures. The directions on the RetrOBright web site were pretty clear, but I wasn't sure how long to wait between applications (ok to wait days in-between or no biggy either way?) and how thick to put the goop on. You can read more about my experience and see (poor quality) photos of the results of one application on my blog. I'll post more photos after the next round.

WBCCI 8185
TAC NY-123
SilverSky is offline   Reply With Quote