Old 05-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #15
Extreme Alchemist

Manchester , UK
Chuck,

What you need is what people call a "black light", i.e. a standard dark purple UV bulb as sold in fancy dress shops and some hardware stores. It doesn't have to be anything fancy - the filament and energy saving types both work perfectly OK.

If you check the pictures of the C64 experiments Tonyyeb and I did in the gallery on the Wiki, you will see that we used energy saving bulbs.

If you search UV bulb on Ebay you will see what I mean, don't go spending a bundle on the bulb.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
WOW!
This is great and bout 35 feet over my head.I dont know bout all them tech terms but I do understand slobber it on and hose it off and itll make it white again.I wanna know bout the light too!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
OK dwightdi what say you now?
Many of us non-sceintific commoners would like to know. Bleaching or otherwise it seems to have generated only reported excellent results.
In your opinion as an Airstream owner is there some negative to the "ductile" degradation?
What is the result of ductile degradation? Crumbling ? Brittleness? Fragility? or what?

thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #18
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Yes, this inquiring mind wants to know too. I don't want to do anything that will make the ABS more brittle than it already is from age, exposure, etc. Will using an oxy type cleaner lighten it and or make it brittle in any way?

Thanks, Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

http://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #19
Extreme Alchemist

Manchester , UK
In simple English, no it won't affect the ABS plastic at all; all Retr0bright does it treat the fire retardant, it leaves the plastic polymer alone, unless you overdo it by making the H2O2 strength too strong. About 10% H2O2 strength is just enough to treat the fire retardant without attacking the plastic polymer.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
Thanks Retro dude!
I can almost understand plain english......sometimes.....but i'll give her a shot and see how she works.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Check the website Retrobright originally posted. This was a formula they developed to treat old computer cases to make them look pretty again. Computer cases are required by the US and European governments to be fire resistant. The grade of ABS used is a special fire retardant grade. The ABS manufacturers add a bromide compound to make it fire retardant. Old compouter cases turn yellow because they are usually used in offices that are lit with Florescent lights which give off large amounts of UV light in addition to the visable light.

Your Airstream components that are made from an ABS are made from a grade which does not contain a bromide. The government does not require trailers to be flame retardent. Retrobrite contains oxygen bleach just like Chlorox 2 or Oxichean. It will attack and oxidize the yellow color bodies that are formed when plain ABS is exposed to sunlight for a long time. It would also attack any smoke residuals that might have been absorbed into the plastic. I am not sure if it is strong enough to oxidize any of the other polymers in the ABS formula or whether it will reduce the already degraded ABS and further reduce its elongation or impact resistance.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #22
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Check the website Retrobright originally posted. This was a formula they developed to treat old computer cases to make them look pretty again. Computer cases are required by the US and European governments to be fire resistant. The grade of ABS used is a special fire retardant grade. The ABS manufacturers add a bromide compound to make it fire retardant. Old compouter cases turn yellow because they are usually used in offices that are lit with Florescent lights which give off large amounts of UV light in addition to the visable light.

Your Airstream components that are made from an ABS are made from a grade which does not contain a bromide. The government does not require trailers to be flame retardent. Retrobrite contains oxygen bleach just like Chlorox 2 or Oxichean. It will attack and oxidize the yellow color bodies that are formed when plain ABS is exposed to sunlight for a long time. It would also attack any smoke residuals that might have been absorbed into the plastic. I am not sure if it is strong enough to oxidize any of the other polymers in the ABS formula or whether it will reduce the already degraded ABS and further reduce its elongation or impact resistance.
So Dwight.....

I'm confused. Are you saying it's safe to try or that it might weaken the ABS somehow? We simple folk need a yeah or nay .

Thanks, Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

http://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #23
Extreme Alchemist

Manchester , UK
It will be OK, period.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #24

Allen , Texas
Smile A Safe Polish for ABS Plastic

I'm wondering if Rivet Master or Extreme Alchemist have a suggestion for how to clean and polish my ABS clarinet that I take for companionship on trips. It's old and black and now going thru cleaning, but what's the best kind of polish or wax to use on it so it stays nice looking longer while fighting off fingerprints, those of my grandkids, etc. I don't want to use something that will make the ABS fall apart in my hands as I'm playing.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #25
Extreme Alchemist

Manchester , UK
I would recommend Armor All for your clarinet. It will provide the fingerprint and UV protection you need.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #26

Allen , Texas
ABS Clarinet Polish

WOW! ArmorAll ... that's way too easy! Thx for the insight! I'll give it a try.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Sebastian , Florida
OK..."enjoyed" the chemistry lesson, but still have a stupid question. My bathroom fixtures in the 67 are light blue/green. Will either of these products restore them to the origional color or am I looking at sanding?
Old 02-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #28
Extreme Alchemist

Manchester , UK
LOL,

Yes, your blue-green fittings will be just fine. Retr0bright will restore the color with no problems.