Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2004, 08:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Possible Lounge Chair --> Dinette Conversion?

Hi there, everyone I've been looking at purchasing one of the older Airstream motorhomes, and there is a 1986 model 325 I am thinking of getting soon. Check out the ad here: http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/4/1/75982541.htm . I already looked at it last week, but I didn't buy it because it wasn't laid out in the right way ... right across from the couch were these two lounge chairs, so that the motorhome only slept four :-\ It seems kind of ridiculous for a 32 1/2 foot motorhome to only sleep four, while some of the older '70's Dodges can sleep six ... I was wondering if it would be possible to take out those two lounge chairs, sell them, and buy / make a dinette that could convert into another bed. Would this be worth it? The motorhome was very nice, wasn't clean, but that's nothing a bottle of Windex and Lysol won't fix It really was nice, drove very smoothly, generator worked ... I wouldn't pay the $20,000 for it, though. I'd try and bring him down to $15,000 or something more reasonable like that.

Let me know what y'all think!

=Brendan=
Brendo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:21 AM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm definately no Airstream Motor Home expert. In fact I know very little about them. However, from what I have seen, this plan is not uncommon for the AS MH's. The price is probably in line with the age, if in good condition. I wouldn't let the swivel chairs stand in the way. You could add the dinette or another sofa bed if you like everything else about the MH and need the extra bed. I'd say go for it.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:58 AM   #3
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Welcome to the forum,
Go for it, those babies are sold fast & a dinette or sofabed is no big deal to install. (be sure to bring the price down, you may not know why, but the owner does )

Ron
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the advice there, triple Q What exactly is there to installing a dinette? Would it be easier to build one, or to buy some sort of kit? I'd prefer the kind that converts to a bed, if at all possible.

=Brendan=
Old 10-31-2004, 01:20 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The best bet is to look at one that is already in place take measurements, and build it yourself. The Motorhomes are rarely ever parted out. You may be able to buy a dinette out of another wrecked unit and cut it down to fit. It really depends on your handy quotient. The only real part that is unique is the bracket that holds the top to the wall. That is a standard RV part.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
at 20,000 that is a good buy. Of they came down to 15 it would be amazing for a 325. These are typically 20-mid twenties for a nice example.
The dinette is an easy conversion, you can build or buy the setup....however there are alternate sleeping arrangements that would work for a child, which is what the dinette bed will accomodate. The chairs do give you a bit more flexibility though.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Brendan,
First of all - super idea! Classic Airstream Motorhomes RULE! OK...I"m a little biased but they are pretty cool. I agree with Alan - 325's do not last for long and are typically priced higher than many 345's. We looked at two 325's and really wanted one but ended up with a 345 for the additional sleeping and the slightly cheaper asking prices. With five to sleep in the family I'm glad we ended up in the larger model.

We removed the two barrel chairs when we replaced the floor in ours and never put them back in. The space is nice for stuff like dog crates and a planned media center.

I think a "small" dinette would fit in there. Ideally something that met up with the couch when folded down into a bed. Kind of a giant bed in the front. I'm just not sure if a full size dinette from another model would fit and still allow you to fold down the couch.

I'll measure my couch and dinette tomorrow and post the measurements.

Don't forget about inflatable beds. Perfect for when you need them and they fit in a locker when you are traveling with fewer people.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Interior space utilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo613
What exactly is there to installing a dinette? Would it be easier to build one, or to buy some sort of kit? I'd prefer the kind that converts to a bed, if at all possible.
If it's a bed that is important........

I would agree with Steven about removing the small table and chairs from the curb side.

With the couch in the "bed" position there is not much room left. The most versatile use of the cabin might be to carry one of the new inflatable mattresses, inflate for use, and leave the curb side open for entertainment centers, ice chests, dog crates, etc. while underway.

I have also permanently removed the curb side table and chairs - much more efficient use of space for my needs.

A lot would depend on how you really need to use the space. The interior REALLY gets small when camping with 6 adults. Kids, on the other hand, might be more comfortable on the floor, since the bed would have to be made up each night anyway. Since there are no children in the family, a dinette conversion bed was not important, and when redoing the dinette (replaced the original table with a smaller granite table top) I made the table smaller and non-moveable. A single permanent upright (available at most RV places) was installed, but the upright could be used as a removable since there is a slip in connection on the top and bottom. Be forewarned that most dinette beds are designed for kids, and no one over 5' could expect a good night's sleep in one.

I am not sure of the '86, but the '87 curb side chairs were legal for passenger transit....the chairs and table were not all that difficult to remove.

I gave my chairs to a Forum member, shipping them would come to about 50 bucks each.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Brendan,
Measured mine today; the dinette seat back measures 39" out from the wall. The couch extends to 47" from the wall when opened into a bed. Place across from each other this configuration would still give you about 4" of clearance between the two with everything in the "sleeping" position.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:11 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

You guys are very helpful, thank you very much for helping out with all of that It looks like I might be getting this one soon, just have to see if the owner's willing to come down in price. Looks like I will have enough funds if he comes down to around $15,000 for it.

All in due time ...

=Brendan=
Old 11-01-2004, 03:57 PM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
15K would be a steal. Keep us posted. Don't forget to plan some extra $$$ for all of the stuff you didn't plan for
Old 11-01-2004, 07:49 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hammock

If you wind up with this unit, and you do the dinette conversion, and still "have to have" sleeping space for one more somewhat small person, you can rig a hammock across the front seats to hold a youth up to 65 or so pounds, the parts are available in many garden departments of Wal-mart and K-mart.
Terry
Old 11-02-2004, 06:40 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

That's a pretty neat idea, never occured to me about that. Perhaps I could make a dinette that could fold out to sleep adult sized people, a dinette in which the one side folds down to open the dinette up for more footroom ... just an idea, but I could use something like the seat releases on an old car from a junkyard, maybe ... Crazy me.

It would be something like this:
__
Dinette folded up --> |__ i __|

Dinette in adult-sleeping position: |_______

=Brendan=
Old 11-02-2004, 05:50 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
That's a pretty neat idea, never occured to me about that. Perhaps I could make a dinette that could fold out to sleep adult sized people, a dinette in which the one side folds down to open the dinette up for more footroom ... just an idea, but I could use something like the seat releases on an old car from a junkyard, maybe ... Crazy me.

It would be something like this:
__
Dinette folded up --> |__ i __|

Dinette in adult-sleeping position: |_______

=Brendan=
Another idea, why not get a side gaucho, like we have in our trailers? use a credenza table for meals between the couch on one side, and the gaucho on the other. My gaucho will pull out to a twin and a half bed, or pull out to its' full width, with the use of a cushion that stores against the wall. You would also have the added advantage of having more storage under the gaucho, also.
Terry
Old 11-02-2004, 06:26 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Sorry, I don't know what a gaucho is Could you please clarify what exactly your idea with the gaucho is?

=Brendan=
Old 11-02-2004, 07:26 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Sorry, I don't know what a gaucho is Could you please clarify what exactly your idea with the gaucho is?

=Brendan=
A gaucho is a combination couch and bed, it folds down and out to make a bed, and with the addition of a cushion that is stored behind the upright cusion, it makes an almost-double bed. My idea was for you to locate one from an Airstream trailer with a side gaucho, and install it where your two seats are. You would then have seating for three, and sleeping for two adults, or by leaving the extra cushion out, a generous bed for one, or two children. These things came with storage bins under them, so you could add to your storage area along with the increase in sleeping capacity.
The advantage to this is you would have an additional 12" of aisle space when the extra cushion is left out, and you would keep the more open feel you have now in your MH, because the seat would go down the wall, instead of permanently sticking out into the aisleway.
Terry
Old 11-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that I flew down to Fla. and picked up a lovely 345 Thanks for all your help, but I have the great R.V. I've been hoping to get for a long time.

=Brendan=