1965 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
It is a awsume job. Sweet

Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Carlsbad , California
Cabinets

I love those cabinets and want to try it in my Trade Wind. Did you use solid maple or maple veneer? Also, how thick was the maple?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks for the warning! I will be careful... I thought the advantage would be that I can hang towels on them!...

You are right, it is Louis and Company... I always get that wrong.

I keep the pantry closed by wedging my folding chairs between the cabinet and the stove. I have in mind some kind of extension pole. You know the kind that is spring loaded? I haven't found anything yet that is sturdy enough. Shower curtain rods are the right diameter, but too long. Most curtain rods are too flimsy. So I will keep looking. The pantry is really heavy when loaded and I forgot to wedge the chairs in place one time and the pantry popped out and came off the track. It was not an easy fix, so I don't want that to happen again.

Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
It looks maaavelous!

The pulls are available at Hafele and most other large cabinet hardware supply companies, and, I believe the company you refered to is Louis and Company. They have a lot of outlets in the western US. They also have pulls that are similar to yours, but bow-shaped, in various sizes. The advantage being that you cannot catch your clothes on them. How do I know this?

I work in the cabinet industry, and I have the same pulls in my office as you have in your AS.

I've ruined two pairs of pants and a sweater on those pulls

Be careful, Rich

Hey, Pamelake, how do you keep the pantry closed during travel? I'm looking for a creative solution for that myself.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I am having a senior moment! I think actually the cabinet doors and drawer fronts are birch (solid) and the body is made of maple ply... or vise versa! Either way they are solid wood and pretty heavy. I have a call into my carpenter and I can ask him how thick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfuller678 View Post
I love those cabinets and want to try it in my Trade Wind. Did you use solid maple or maple veneer? Also, how thick was the maple?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I love the round sink... I use a round plastic bowl in it for doing dishes and it works great. The only thing I would do different is to use a faucet with a sprayer in it. I looked every where when I put mine in and couldn't find anything with a single pedestal. I have one on my sink at home and think it would be so helpful in the 'stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Thanks for the information.....the cabinets/countertops look fabulous....we are using a single sink in our renovation as well....I hope we like it as much as we think we will.......enjoy...paula
Old 03-31-2009, 01:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
For a concealed latch we sometimes use a magnetic activated lock, also from Rev-a-shelf. It's called a Rev-a-lock. It is drilled into the back of a door or drawer front, and has a latch that drops when a strong magnet is placed in front of it. It also can be set to not latch at all, when you are not on the road. There is no visible part on the face of the door, so it is a totally clean look. Ask your cabinetmaker about them. I bet he's seen them before. I'm not totally sold on using them yet in a rv due to the bouncing that can take place as you travel. It may be enough to pop the latch open in some cases.

What I really like is the original latches used on the large doors in the '64 Airstreams. Those are the coolest thing I've seen in a cabinet in a very long time. They latch like crazy, even if you slam the door, and they must be turned about 1/4 turn to release so there is no chance that they will pop open on you no matter how much your trailer bounces. I'll try to post a pic of one of mine below.

Oh yeah, they also have a threaded stud on the front, so you can put your own knobs on them. Way too cool!

I haven't been able to locate them new, though, so I'll probably have to scrounge for old ones.

Your cabinets do look like maple to me, but pics sometimes make it hard to tell the difference.

Your ride is lovely May you get many years of enjoyment from it!

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 SAFARI 155.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	77691  
Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I forgot something,

Do not tell your cabinetmaker that you wedge your chairs against the front of your cabinets!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Pam, WOW!!! You and Your friend have done a really great job. The new cabinetry looks mighty fine. The pantry I am sure is a pleasure to use. I have put a few in some of the kitchens I have built, They are so convenient, easy to load and surely a great utilization of space. With the warping as a rule on door slaps you must treat each side the same as far as finishing. Give each side the same number of coats of finish. And also do not lean them up against a wall for any period of time when not installed, lay flat only. Sometimes they will warp no matter how careful you are, just the nature of the beast.

You might be ready for a home warming party soon. What's next on your agenda? Any road trips planned?

SL
Old 03-31-2009, 09:04 AM   #23
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Beautiful work.. really looks nice.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hey, Pamelake, how do you keep the pantry closed during travel? I'm looking for a creative solution for that myself.
Do you have access to the slider from the door under the pantry? If you do you could pin it closed from there, just a thought.

The interior looks GREAT!!!

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #25
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Similar Pulls

What great looking cabinets. The wood, pulls, install, all terrific.

We have similar pulls in our home that we bought at Lowe's.

So far no torn belt loops, but a couple of close calls.

SRW
Old 03-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks Rich.... I actually have Rev-a-Locks on all the cabinets... and I love them! I haven't had any problems with them holding during travel, they are just not strong enough to hold the heavy pantry. The drawers are full extension with a 'catch' when they close that has held during travel without any problems. I love the old Airstream originals... Pam

Quote:
For a concealed latch we sometimes use a magnetic activated lock, also from Rev-a-shelf. It's called a Rev-a-lock. It is drilled into the back of a door or drawer front, and has a latch that drops when a strong magnet is placed in front of it. It also can be set to not latch at all, when you are not on the road. There is no visible part on the face of the door, so it is a totally clean look. Ask your cabinetmaker about them. I bet he's seen them before. I'm not totally sold on using them yet in a rv due to the bouncing that can take place as you travel. It may be enough to pop the latch open in some cases.

What I really like is the original latches used on the large doors in the '64 Airstreams. Those are the coolest thing I've seen in a cabinet in a very long time. They latch like crazy, even if you slam the door, and they must be turned about 1/4 turn to release so there is no chance that they will pop open on you no matter how much your trailer bounces. I'll try to post a pic of one of mine below.

Oh yeah, they also have a threaded stud on the front, so you can put your own knobs on them. Way too cool!

I haven't been able to locate them new, though, so I'll probably have to scrounge for old ones.

Your cabinets do look like maple to me, but pics sometimes make it hard to tell the difference.

Your ride is lovely May you get many years of enjoyment from it!

Rich
Old 03-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:

I agree Rich...the '64 door latches are really cool. We have them in our GT. I haven't been able to find modern replacements in the 7+ years we've had our trailer...I have a couple from a friends "donor trailer" as back-ups for ours and they do come up occasionally at vintage rally swap meets or on ebay. Not very often though, I believe they were only used for a year or so - most '63s & '65's have different styles. If on ebay, plan on paying "a bunch" for them.

Another similar one that is just about as cool, is the bakelite version that is in our '56 Safari...they are pretty hard to come by as well, they were used a couple more years though so they are slightly more available - they came in black & white - some years had black, some had white. I got several white "spares" last summer...again at a vintage rally swap meet.

Here's a pic I found of a black/brass one...mine are white/chrome.

BTW, Pamelake - your cabinets do look great! Good job!!!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
For that very heavy pantry door you may want to consider using a standard keyed cabinet lock just for that one door. Not to hard to put in I am sure that your friend could do it for you in under 15 minutes. You might be able to do it yourself if your handy. All that you see is the round top of the lock.

Cam lock / Camlocks