Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacStreamer
Was the wood that bad underneath? Could it be lightly sanded and stained? Unless someone knows were we might find the 1998 Airstream wallpaper, it will look funny if we just do one wall with new paper. But leaving it wood might look ok. We have 4 walls that have the wallpaper. And that Burgundy trim paper is starting to peal up in spots. I have never been a fan of wallpaper. Did you peal all the paper off the curved outer trailer wall? What was underneath?

Dana
The would could have been sanded, it wouldn't take much. I did not remove the paper off the curbside, I simply scraped off some of the bumpy areas and put it right over. Haven't had any adhesion problems yet and we made it through 117 degrees in Redding on the way to Salem.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Roger,
You did a wonderful job and it looks great.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Would you please provide the source of your stick on paper? My 93 25' Excella would be forever in your debt.
It was ONE of 4 places, Home Depot, Target, OSH or Lowes. I think it was the latter. The first try was nice but I could only get one vertical strip out of each roll and I needed 3 strips. We went back to find the rest (Target, I think) and there were none. The second (OSH?) was the blue in the first set of photos but it was very thin also. The final set, which is thicker, was from Lowes, I believe.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees
It was ONE of 4 places, Home Depot, Target, OSH or Lowes. I think it was the latter. The first try was nice but I could only get one vertical strip out of each roll and I needed 3 strips. We went back to find the rest (Target, I think) and there were none. The second (OSH?) was the blue in the first set of photos but it was very thin also. The final set, which is thicker, was from Lowes, I believe.
Thanks so much!!!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Went to Target tonight and found some - in the kitchen area. Had both a brushed stainless and brushed aluminum - $6.99 a roll. Looks great!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Youngsville , North Carolina
As for peeling of the wallpaper. I'm in the AS right now pulling mine down. It is more gentle on the wood behind it if you pull from the top down. When I pulled from the bottom, it would try to pull layers of the wood apart from each other...but when I pulled it down from the top, it came off without any problems other than being just really hard to get off. I have most of mine down now but there are a few stubborn areas that I think I'll need to apply steam.

Also, my wood behind the wallpaper looked really good and is easily sandable...the only concern is where the wood was stamped at the wood plant. I think it shoudld sand off without too much trouble.

1976 Sovereign 31 ft by the way.

Josh
Fish36991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Sheet Metal

MacStreamer,

A friend had a similar problem with the paper pealing behind the sink. He had brass finish faucets and used a 4" brass door kick plate for the splash plate behind the sink. If you want to stick with aluminum most of the big box stores have aluminum sheets in various sizes located in the hardware department along with the threaded rod and angle iron.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote