Old 07-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Great Northwest , Washington
Drooling

Roger and Roxie,
After I get done drooling over your kitchen wall renovation photos, I am going to go drag my husband in here to show him what I want him to help me with next on our AS. =) I like the swirls. It looks more shiny on the wall then when you first bought it. Did you do something to it, to make it that way? Roxie was right on with the silver wallpaper. I did not care for the blue in the previous photos and when I saw the final one I was in aww. Kudoos =) We have a 1998 Excella so our kitchen looks very similar to yours.

http://www.airforums.com/photo...00&userid=5529

I did a search for wallpaper peeling because ours is having that issues near the sink too. I was thinking of just peeling it off and leaving it wood. But I worry about the wood discording if it gets wet too often. Was it hard to take the wallpaper off? Would I just start peeling away at it? Wet it first? Did you use a chemical? Steam iron? Plastic puddy knife? Jack hammer? =P So besides just stumbling across something like that, where might we find a piece of metal? Was it spendy to have them cut the piece? I might just have to call around to a local sheet metal shop and see what they have =) And about the weight... I think they come in different thicknesses. I can't imagine it making that much a difference. And it looks awesome! =) Thanks for sharing. Dana
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as.wallpaper.peel.06.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	23352  

Old 07-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #16
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Roger - I like the spice rack behind the stove. I am thinking of building one. How is it attached to the wall? When the stovetop is folded open, does it block part of the rack?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacStreamer
Roger and Roxie,
After I get done drooling over your kitchen wall renovation photos, I am going to go drag my husband in here to show him what I want him to help me with next on our AS. =) I like the swirls. It looks more shiny on the wall then when you first bought it. Did you do something to it, to make it that way? Roxie was right on with the silver wallpaper. I did not care for the blue in the previous photos and when I saw the final one I was in aww. Kudoos =) We have a 1998 Excella so our kitchen looks very similar to yours.
The flash from the camera makes them show up even better. They are much more subdued in natural light. The ONLY part that I didn't care for was that I had to take off everything AGAIN (except the upper cabinet) to put on the new paper.

Quote:
You have the Corian. Nice.

Quote:
I did a search for wallpaper peeling because ours is having that issues near the sink too. I was thinking of just peeling it off and leaving it wood. But I worry about the wood discording if it gets wet too often. Was it hard to take the wallpaper off? Would I just start peeling away at it? Wet it first? Did you use a chemical? Steam iron? Plastic puddy knife? Jack hammer? =P So besides just stumbling across something like that, where might we find a piece of metal? Was it spendy to have them cut the piece? I might just have to call around to a local sheet metal shop and see what they have =) And about the weight... I think they come in different thicknesses. I can't imagine it making that much a difference. And it looks awesome! =) Thanks for sharing. Dana
Our wallpaper was coming off up by the cabinet at the top of the pantry so it wasn't an urgent thing, just appearance. I just peeled it off with my hands and maybe a razor blade knife on the small pieces. I knew that I was going to cover it so I wasn't worried about how fuzzy the wood was. It was easy.

As far as finding the metal I don't know where to tell you. The owner of the restaurant supplied it after I asked him where he got it. Never did find out. It probably was about 20lb max after cut. The cost was about $30 to cut it rough. I HAD to buy a Makita grinder to finish the edges to fit better.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Roger - I like the spice rack behind the stove. I am thinking of building one. How is it attached to the wall? When the stovetop is folded open, does it block part of the rack?
The spice rack was in place when my parents gave us the trailer. It does, however, have a curved back to it so it fits the A/S. It is held on by 4 or 6 screws.
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Great Northwest , Washington
whats underneath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees
Our wallpaper was coming off up by the cabinet at the top of the pantry so it wasn't an urgent thing, just appearance. I just peeled it off with my hands and maybe a razor blade knife on the small pieces. I knew that I was going to cover it so I wasn't worried about how fuzzy the wood was. It was easy.
Was the wood that bad underneath? Could it be lightly sanded and stained? Unless someone knows were we might find the 1998 Airstream wallpaper, it will look funny if we just do one wall with new paper. But leaving it wood might look ok. We have 4 walls that have the wallpaper. And that Burgundy trim paper is starting to peal up in spots. I have never been a fan of wallpaper. Did you peal all the paper off the curved outer trailer wall? What was underneath?

Dana
Old 07-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Beautiful!

Quote:
Well, I THOUGHT I had it done. My wife decided that she didn't like the blue tinge to the stick on paper. So we got a more silver version. It is thicker also, which is better. I didn't have to take off the steel or the upper cabinet for this so it was not as bad as it could have been. New photos attached.
Would you please provide the source of your stick on paper? My 93 25' Excella would be forever in your debt.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Was the wood that bad underneath? Could it be lightly sanded and stained? Unless someone knows were we might find the 1998 Airstream wallpaper, it will look funny if we just do one wall with new paper. But leaving it wood might look ok. We have 4 walls that have the wallpaper. And that Burgundy trim paper is starting to peal up in spots. I have never been a fan of wallpaper. Did you peal all the paper off the curved outer trailer wall? What was underneath?

Dana
The would could have been sanded, it wouldn't take much. I did not remove the paper off the curbside, I simply scraped off some of the bumpy areas and put it right over. Haven't had any adhesion problems yet and we made it through 117 degrees in Redding on the way to Salem.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Roger,
You did a wonderful job and it looks great.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Would you please provide the source of your stick on paper? My 93 25' Excella would be forever in your debt.
It was ONE of 4 places, Home Depot, Target, OSH or Lowes. I think it was the latter. The first try was nice but I could only get one vertical strip out of each roll and I needed 3 strips. We went back to find the rest (Target, I think) and there were none. The second (OSH?) was the blue in the first set of photos but it was very thin also. The final set, which is thicker, was from Lowes, I believe.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
It was ONE of 4 places, Home Depot, Target, OSH or Lowes. I think it was the latter. The first try was nice but I could only get one vertical strip out of each roll and I needed 3 strips. We went back to find the rest (Target, I think) and there were none. The second (OSH?) was the blue in the first set of photos but it was very thin also. The final set, which is thicker, was from Lowes, I believe.
Thanks so much!!!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Went to Target tonight and found some - in the kitchen area. Had both a brushed stainless and brushed aluminum - $6.99 a roll. Looks great!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Youngsville , North Carolina
As for peeling of the wallpaper. I'm in the AS right now pulling mine down. It is more gentle on the wood behind it if you pull from the top down. When I pulled from the bottom, it would try to pull layers of the wood apart from each other...but when I pulled it down from the top, it came off without any problems other than being just really hard to get off. I have most of mine down now but there are a few stubborn areas that I think I'll need to apply steam.

Also, my wood behind the wallpaper looked really good and is easily sandable...the only concern is where the wood was stamped at the wood plant. I think it shoudld sand off without too much trouble.

1976 Sovereign 31 ft by the way.

Josh
Old 12-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Sheet Metal

MacStreamer,

A friend had a similar problem with the paper pealing behind the sink. He had brass finish faucets and used a 4" brass door kick plate for the splash plate behind the sink. If you want to stick with aluminum most of the big box stores have aluminum sheets in various sizes located in the hardware department along with the threaded rod and angle iron.