Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2002, 09:09 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Pantry

Caution to anyone owning a newer Safari with a slide-out pantry. I have a 2001 25' and the pantry came open on a recent trip. The slides were totally destroyed (ball bearings everywhere) and the pantry ended up leaning against the rear queen bed. Needless to say, food was everywhere also. I called a local Airstream dealer and they suggested a "travel latch" be installed on the pantry door. They sent me one but in reality it was a "bunk latch" and wasn't very usefull. I considered installing a second door latch opposite the existing one thinking this would prevent the door from moving back/forward and permitting the latch to slip past the keeper. I would have to modify the wood inside the pantry for this option so I decided to drill a hole from the closet into the pantry door and insert a nail. With the closet door closed and locked the nail cannot slide out. Problem solved!
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 01:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Have you looked into what may have caused this?

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 01:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

John, there is enough space between the pantry door and the frame for the door to move toward the rear allowing the catch to slip past the keeper. I think the conditions had to be just right (trailer rocking left and back) for this to happen. I also think Airstream should install a second latch on the opposite side of the door. This $10 item would prevent future disasters such as I had.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:24 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Jerry,

From what I am reading you do have the same pantry as I do. Mine is on the street side of the trailer on the right of a cabinet that is to the right of the refrigerator. The Safari has a push button handle that when pushed in locks the drawer/door. Pushed a second time it pops out and the button acts as a pull.

I have twin beds in the rear and a drawer cabinet between the two. On our first big trip out the drawer slid out and fell to the floor bending the rails. Thankfully I was stopping at Jackson Center anyway so I picked up replacement rails. The problem on my end was the bed cover had slightly been pulled into the drawer sides, unnoticed by me. I had the button pushed in and locked but the latch did not engage the strike plate.

My thoughts on your end is more or less either the latch/lock assembly or striker plate which is not adjusted correctly. You might want to see if you can slide either assembly to better engage. You are still under warranty so you should be able to get this problem corrected.....assuming you have a dealer within reasonable drive. The problem could also be that the lock assembly is defective and not extending properly when in the locked position.

Since every drawer and door assembly uses the same lock assembly, I bought a spare when at Jackson Center. I figured if a lock broke while out on the road, duct tape would be the only solution in keeping things closed. The spare lock gives me peace of mind and a quick fix without the mess of tape. You can just purchase the lock/latch component, without buying all the other hardware like the push/pull button and striker plate.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 12:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Jack, I was inside a 27' Safari recently and the pantry is much smaller than the one in my 25'. Mine is on the curb side just to the rear of the sink and it is about 5 feet high. It has four shelves so the weight is potentially twice that of your pantry.
On The Road, USA
Old 09-06-2002, 01:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
I had the same problem with my 93 29ft Excello! The first time it destroyed the latch but I was able to put the slides back in and replace the latch. The second time I just found the pantry out and the latch destroyed. I replaced the latch again and now I keep everything in place by using a small expandable curtain rod with rubber end caps. Since it is spring loaded I just set it once and install and remove it as we travel. It works for me and I have had no more problems.
James
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
My pantry slides failed while driving across indiana on the interstate. I now need to fix the pantry and replace the ball bearing slides. I cannot find the release on the slides. Mine are fastened with screws and donot appear to have a release. Any advice on how to remove the pantry. I have a 1992 excella 24 with a 8" pantry. I think I am going to cut it in half and have two slides instead of the one.
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
2001 Safari 25 SS Houston

2001 25' Safari
Tomball , Texas
Have a 2001 Safari 25SS and the pantry slid out. Putting it back in only seeing bottom hardware slides. Is there more hardware to hold it upright?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I have a 2000 Excella that also has a slide-out pantry. I don't know if the design and latching hardware is the same as yours or not. Right after we purchased our Airstream in 2000, I noted that the latching mechanism could easily work loose from the motion of the trailer, so I modified the factory latch. My latch is essentially a deadbolt with a large finger loop at the lower end. The "deadbolt" is mounted below the slide-out pantry, and is raised up to engage a hidden slot in the underside of the pantry.

I removed the deadbolt, and using a drill press, drilled a small hole across the bolt so that it would line up with the slots that would correspond to the "locked" position. Once locked, I insert a small hitch clip through the hole in the bolt to keep the bolt in the locked position, and prevent it from dropping down. Seventeen years later, no problems, knock on wood. I have pics, if I can figure out how to upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2659.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	295404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2661.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	295405  

Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote