Old 09-26-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Oval Bed

I love my 22 ft CCD - but the mattress is cheap foam and was already showing wear on the middle of the right side. It's a front bed, next to the window, wedged between the nightstand and the wardrobe. There is about a 4 ft opening to get in and out of, and it's up high enough that you have to slide out. Because the left top and bottom corners are curved the mattress could only be fliped from end to end, not from side to side.

I've never been fond of foam mattresses - they are hot and squishy.

So I went to "The Original Mattress Factory" and ordered an oval innerspring bed. The only thing I didn't count on was how much heavier this new mattress is than the foam one. Getting it in the trailer - whew! I was grunting like a woman giving birth to twins! Thank goodness this one actually has HANDLES, I'm going to flip it but it's going to be heavy work to do it.

I slept on it last night and it's wonderful!

Tin Lizzie

Old 09-26-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Paula,

With the oval shape of your new mattress, how do you hide the ugly plywood underneath?

Did you ever get an air bed for the dinette?

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Beddy bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
Hi Paula,

With the oval shape of your new mattress, how do you hide the ugly plywood underneath?

Did you ever get an air bed for the dinette?
I have six pillows. Two go over the inside curves which are pretty well hidden by the wardrobe and nightstand anyway. I suppose I could have had two pieces of foam custom cut to fit there, but why bother?

I also got a wild hair that I could hinge the plywood under the bed since it is in two pieces. I thought it would be easier to lift the lid than to crawl UNDER the bed and move 3 or 4 containers to find what I wanted. Used a six foot piano hinge - used 5 heavy screws on the far side to hold the smaller curved piece of plywood to the frame, then used the small screws on the rest of the hinge. Thank god for electric screw drivers! Worked great without the mattress, when I was sleeping on the featherbed. Now it's really heavy to lift by hand... Either have to drill some holes and use a dowel rod to hold it up, get some really heavy duty pneumatic lift cylinders or at least get a dowel rod or two to hold it up once I lift it.

I might also be able to use a standard table leg to hold the lid up when I'm accessing storage; which leads to my idea for the dinette. I'm thinking of reconfiguring it. Turning the back seat 90 degrees and setting it over the wheel well. Making a cushion or wood cover for the fuse panel - to make it into an end table or hassock, and building an entirely new longer narrower table that is moveable and adjustable height. I'd use an ironing bed type of crossover legs to adjust the height.

I don't have too much company, but it will all have to fit together to make a bed just in case I need it. Alternatively, I'm going to try to move the dinette forward three inches - I just hate the fact that the bathroom door bangs into the dinette seat and that getting into and out of the desk area is such a tight squeeze. I use my desk almost nightly and it just bugs me that it's just a tad too confined.

(I guess in a way I wish they'd made the 22ft CCD a 23 footer - a tad wider bed, a couple more inches here and there.)

Tin Lizzie
Old 09-27-2005, 05:52 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
And I thought...

people bought new Airstreams because they didn't need any work Paula, sounds like the modifications have begun. I hang out with an eclectic group of campers and when we do get together the most fun is seeing what everybody else has done to modify/personalize their campers.

BTW we want to see pictures

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Sneerk.....Zzzzz.... Sleep

I've been sleeping on my new oval mattress for over a week. It's wunnerful, wunnerful! If you spend a lot of time in your camper, seriously consider replacing your mattress with a high quality one - either innerspring or foam. A standard innerspring bed would have cost me $311 with tax. My custom made one (longer than standard AND 4 corner cuts) cost $415 with tax. If I'd opted for high quality foam the difference between standard and custom would have been less. It's very affordable, and spread over 10 - 15 years useful life, it's dirt cheap. If you consider the safety factor of a good night's sleep for the Walmart boondock, it could save your A/S or your life.

I didn't even check but I'd also bet that even an Aero Bed would have been more comfortable than the original mattress.

How good is the new one? Well I fell asleep reading a book with half of a cup of tea in my hand. When I woke up 2 hours later it was still there, not tipped over because I'd hardly moved I was so comfortable. And my stabilizer jacks were UP. I'm not going to take any more beverages to bed though - don't want to push my luck.
-----------------------

Dinette Modification

Spent about 15 minutes lying on the floor looking at my dinette from the bottom up. (NOT alcohol related - don't go there Vern.) The dinette legs wrap around the circuit breaker box and in fact form the box. I can see how to remove the legs, and it wouldn't be a huge deal to have a new box fabricated out of aluminum. The side of the dinette next to the wall is simply supported by small "L" brackets under the seat, so turning the seat would involve having a curved bracket made to support the portion of the seat that would now be above the wheel well. I've figured out how to do that. The main weight of the seat would rest on the wheel well, so I could just use a piece of 2"x4" about 15 inches long, cut the top side to fit the bottom contour of the seat and lay it on the wheel well, "L" bracketing it on each side to the outside wall. I could just glue this to the bottom of the seat. One small problem is that there's a receptacle on the wall about 3 inches above the wheel well. The seat would cover this and make it inaccessable, but I could run a power strip from this outlet to the aft edge of the sofa and just velcro it to the wall or put it on the floor. Moving the whole dinette forward about 3 inches begins to look simpler.

Perhaps I'll call the factory first. Andy at Inland, your opinion?

Tin Lizzie
Old 10-04-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Paula,

I hope you get the digital camera before your modifications, so we can see them. I have also considered a gaucho/bed to replace the dinette. I would also design it to be restorable to it's original condition, in case I were to sell it. My monster battery and bracket (see my member photos) on the tongue is removable, so I can put the original battery box and Grp 24 back on.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Oval Innerspring Mattress

Paula, i assume you got a larger mattress. We would be looking for 2 for the rear twins. How long did it take for the OMC to make your mattress? We are fulltiming so I guess we would just wait around for them or come back. We like firm beds so i guess you can get any firmness you want?

Thanks,

Lee

Full Time.....keeping the shiny side up

Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #8
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Lee,

The upgrade beds for the rear twins in the Excella are inner-spring, and they are pretty comfortable, too. I think if you wait a while, you'll find somebody here removing a nice set to install a queen-size, and you might pick them up very reasonably. My PO ordered them from Airstream! (And then took the trailer out three times during the next six years. He also bought a "Tropical Porch" from Zip Dee that had never been installed. I benefitted from both of these.)

Regards,

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Custom Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis
Paula, i assume you got a larger mattress. We would be looking for 2 for the rear twins. How long did it take for the OMC to make your mattress? We are fulltiming so I guess we would just wait around for them or come back. We like firm beds so i guess you can get any firmness you want?

Thanks,

Lee
The mattress I got was thicker top to bottom, but pretty much the same size as the original. If you want rectangular mattresses, just give them the dimensions and a credit card. They will tell you when to pick them up. Usually 3-5 days - mine being odd shaped took longer.

Tin Lizzie
Old 12-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
I am enticed by the Bear Bed as they will build them to any size and confirgurations that you want for an extra 75$. When the Army releases me in March, I plan to full time for 3 years and while I am a bad sleeper to begin with, I certainly don't want that to be worse by a bad mattress. I understand that the Bear Bed is the RV version of the Sleep Number bed. Does anyone have an evaluation of their product?

Jennifer