Old 07-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Thumbs down Old Cracked and Brittle Counter top trim

Hi experts!

I was wondering if there is an easy way to remove the broken, brittle trim between the wall and counter top edge on my '92's bathroom counter. I've been trying to get it off and after 30 minutes and 1" gone, I'm saying "There has to be a better way!"? (hopefully?) The 'tail' that is inbetween the wall/counter seems pretty long - this is turning into an aggravating job.....

palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
If you remove the counter top you will be able to easily remove the fasteners holding the tail. The counter top is held down with screws from below. You will need to disconnect the drain and supply too to get it all the way out.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon

I am trying to find this same trim (mine is plastic) in silver.Does anyone know where to get it and what its called.I haven't had any luck.
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Check VTS for Cove Cabinet Welt. They don't carry silver, but might be able to point you in the right direction.

As 62overlander says, you will need to remove the counter-top to get the old welt off. Since the welt is held in by fastening to the counter-top, it is also the only way to install the new welt.
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am not sure what the trim looks like on the original rig in question, but for others who have older AS and Argosy trailers, I read a great tip on one of the posts a while ago about how to come up with replacement trim in various colors and textures. That post suggested taking vertical venetian blind slats, which are available at window covering speciality shops, and cutting them down to fit the trim metal holder. By curving them with your fingers, they snap right in and are just the right thickness.

I had some white vinyl vertical blind material in the basement, and went down and got it out. I cut it carefully into long strips and it works just great! Inland has some original plastic trim insert for bathrooms in the older rigs, but it is only available in one size, and is kind of an off white. it is also $1.75 a foot!

I was able to make pieces up to 3" wide to re cover the faux walnut trim on my original lights in the Argosys I have. Also made some thinner to cover the same overdone wood look in the trim around the lights and kitchen exhaust fan. When I do my counter tops I plan to use it for the edge trim, which currently is the same metal channel with faux walnut inserts.

It is a great way to freshen up the interior of your AS at minimal cost, and with lots of patterns and colors available. One of the best ideas I have stolen from the Forums.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote