Old 06-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Now What Did I Do...It's Broken!

Well what started as just removing the center bunks out of our "78" Ambassador to put down new flooring has taken on a life of it's own. The beds came out fine...but then I decided to take down the overhead shelving units to put grasscloth on the bulkheads. One made it out...the other is in pieces. So what now? Do I try to find another overhead unit or dive in and built my own overheads. But then the beds won't match...so...and that's my dilemma. How many have built their own cabinets and bed frames. Anyone with pictures of what they have done would be very helpful. Obviously weight is an issue. Thanks in advance!

Bob
TAC PA-5

Old 06-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Do you have any pictures of the good one that is still intacted? If you do post them. The overheads are really not that hard to make. I have made several.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Bob,

Let us know what you finally come up with for the overhead cabinets...we have the same AS with the center beds, and those overhead's are a bit 'junky' IMHO...the old plastic pieces have outlived their use, and the long span (width) of the tambour seems to have bulged out over the years - sure I could install new tambour, but we'd still have the same old 'junky' cabinets...

I don't have the tooling to build my own new overheads, but would sure like to know someone who does it for a 'reasonable' price - I'd even settle for some cabinets similar to the late Safaris and Flying clouds, the ones that have the lift cylinders and the upper hinged doors...need the older body contour however to fit against the wall properly...I bet that if the mothership would have some of these cabinets built in several lengths, to the older body contour - at a REASONABLE price, they would sell a bunch of em'...one-z, two-z pricing kills this kind of project for me, due to the high cost!

BTW, I laid our flooring (running for/aft) right up against the bed frames (with a small gap for expansion) using a 1/4 round moulding...came out great - I didn't want the hassle of lifting the beds enough to slide the flooring underneath...

Ray
Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Ray...I decided to make mahogany overhead cabinets. One is in and the other is waiting to be installed. I made them so that the doors lift and open towards the ceiling. Used European style hinge system. When I get a chance to get some pictures I'll post them. They turned out better than I expected.

Bob