Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
New Wrap-around Dinette

This story begins last spring when my wife and I took delivery of our 1985 Soverign. One of the first things we did was remove the existing Gaucho and replace it with a better fold out for our two kids to sleep on. That idea didn't work out as well as we had planned so at the end of last summer we decided to do a major reno starting during the fall. Unfortunately I was unable to start really working on the trailer until about 4 weeks ago.

Here is what has been accomplished so far. All carpet, underlay, staples, backing board has been removed. the gaucho (sofa), side table, side storage and any other misc parts have been removed. We built three sections of the new wrap around bench. That project started 2 weeks ago. Since then I have had to modify the frames on the benches slightly, I've added the hinged covers, sanded sharp corners and screwed everything down. Now we need to find flooring we like, install it and hopefully be ready to go. The before pictures are what the trailer looked like when we got it last spring. Other projects for this year are to replace the kitchen counter top, sink & stove/oven.

I will do my best to update as more and more projects get completed. Thanks for looking and all comments are appreciated.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before 1.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	79913   Click image for larger version

Name:	before 2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	79914  

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	79915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	79916  

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	79917  
timmy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Looks good but a bit on the heavy side?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
How do you plan on finishing off? Like AS did, with a table that can be collapsed to make a completely flat sleeping area, or just as a wrap-around couch area?

Wish you were closer, I'd make you an offer for the old gaucho, assuming you still have it... If you still have the side cabinet, I would hold onto it, just in case the next owner might want to change it back.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Tim, looks good! I have been contemplating the same thing. We have an 87'
23ft. with front gaucho and a foam topper and aren't real happy with it. I'll be following your post, keep the pics coming. I have a side dinette so wouldn't want a table. I like the wraparound couch idea for our purpose. I may hit you up for some dimensions in the future. Thanks for posting.
Campaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Please keep the photos coming!!!!!!!!!! I think it looks terrific. Do you have an easy way for the table to be to go up and down?? please let us know your plan for that. Happy Streamin!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
looks pretty sweet. when i did mine, i used 3/4 X 2" ripped lumber. yours looks a bit beefier, which you may like its strength especially if you have kids jumping around or heavy action when folded down into a bed !!. i think the actual weight difference is so minimal anyway. what dimension plywood did you go with? are you cutting the foam and upholstery?
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Thanks for replies

I used 1/2" plywood for the base, 2x2's for as many horizontal pieces and 2x4's for vertical pieces. I did use a 2x4 for the back "header" just so I could offset it slightly due to the natural curve of the wall. The completed frame work differs slightly from the original sketches I had and I think I needed 1 more 2x2 to complete the design. I will try to get a couple pictures of the floor on here tomorrow. Everyone who looks but doesn't read the post will either cringe or laugh. I will leave it at that for now. Thanks again for the positive messages. So far I have been very pleased with the work. This coming weekend is the big test as we are heading off to Banff.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Temp Floor - Emphasis on Temp

Here are 2 pictures of the temporary floor I laid down to get us through this upcoming weekend. I used extra maple laminate from my wife's studio I built for her about 5 years ago and a couple pieces of cork laminate from our foyer reno 2 years ago. I'm sure there will be a few stubbed toes and maybe even some pinching going on but it's better than walking on the subfloor. I do really like the cork because of the look and the warmth of it but I think we are leaning towards Marmoleum. My wife brought home some samples and the colours are amazing. Hopefully over the next month we can redo the floor and maybe the kitchen counter top/stove/sink. Enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 290.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	80126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 291.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	80127  

Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Good job..keep us posted with pictures.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
WINDSOR , Ontario
do you still have the gaucho? looking for one to restore mine to close to original. thanks
MAVERICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Responce

Hi Maverick. I do still have the gaucho, unfortunately it sat outside all winter and was subjected to the all the elements that mother nature handed out this year. And this year was a tough one. The cushions were in rough shape to start and now there is quite a bit of rust on the frame work. It's yours for free if you would like it but I can't guarantee that it's going to solve any of the problems you are having. Good luck.

Tim
Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Tim, Looks fantastic. How did you get the radius?? Trying to figure it out..The only thing I know is make a cardboard template. Your the man!
WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Responce

Thanks for the nice words Texas. Unfortunately we didn't do anything different than use a cardboard template for the top plate. Even though the template was close there was still lots of fine tunning to get it to fit. And even then, the fit was not perfect but it was close enough. Since then I have added kick plates with routered holes to allow the heated air from the inverter to escape. I've also replaced some of the subfloor at the rear on the driver's side because of rot. Good luck if you are planning the same thing. With the long bed/couch on the driver's side my buddy who is 6'6" can sleep without having to curl up.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Tim, Do you have more photos of the new work? Excited to see the progress. The inverter heat you speak of, it that the thing in the front below the windows resting on the subfloor? Or is this something that was added by you?
New and learning...Thanks, WildrTexas
WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Wildr:

One technique for fine tuning the radius (after using a cardboard template to get close) is to position the piece and then use a flexible hose or something 1/2" or so in diameter against the wall and trace it on the piece.

I just finished a 5th bed in the rear of my Sovereign and it took at least 10 cuts or so to get it right (but it was a solid piece all the way across side to side). (the height changes the dimensions as well, as the walls curve both ways)

I chuckle when I read those who would trash existing fixtures to "fashion" their own in the curved areas. It is easier said than done.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
It's looking really good Timmy. I'm impressed by your corners. About 5 years ago, I tried to convert the gaucho on my 13 foot Boler (fiberglass, like a Scamp or Casita) to a dinette, but the radial corners (very similar to an Airstream) drove me crazy. I tried and tried and finally gave up and reinstalled the fiberglass gaucho. You should see how much cardboard I went through! ;-) I have been out working on the Boler again this week, and I'm going to try making a dinette again. (Call me stupid). I'm going to take Pizzachop's advice and try a flexible hose. I love my Boler because with it's size, my projects are manageable (and very low-tech).

Thanks for your inspiration!

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #17
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
pics

Wild and Lisa, try using a piece of onion skin paper next time. Lay it wher you want with the extra folded up against the slope of the wall. Take either an exacto knife and cut along the curve or take a nail and poke holes every inch or so then connect the dots and cut. No matter what you do please remember that the curve on the floor will not match perfecty to wherever you are building the bench/table/dresser. It'll be close but don't epect miracles. As Pizzachop mentioned, you'll be doing lots of cutting and filing.

We are on our way out of town for a week to Wells Gray park in British Columbia for 6 days then 2 days in Jasper. I will have my camera and I will try to shoot some pics of the finished job.

Wild: that is the inverter under the bench that comes stock with all trailers
Old 07-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Thanks for the advice. Have a great trip!

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Holly cow, I used 1x2 and 1x4 to build mine, and that is bomb proof.. Yours will last the next nuclear attack.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Scribing is another way to catch those corners

Easier to show than describe, but dead simple, and probably the most accurate way to do it (not to mention fast).

Have a look at this segment of the DIY guy doing flooring. A little bit over half way, he shows how to do scribing with a modified paint stir-stick and a marker.