Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Question new vinyl over vinyl cabinets?

Hi, all.

My '74 Sovereign has all the cabinets and overhead compartments in that dark wood vinyl, and I'm wondering if anyone has attempted applying new vinyl over them to update the look and freshen them up?

I know that to really finish that idea off I would have to replace the tambour doors with new tambour as well, but that could come later. The dark is just too gloomy a colour, it's making me mildly morose.

I've searched here and lots of threads on painting them, but I can't help but feel that paint just won't age too well in the close quarters of a TT, although I could be wrong.

Did many searches here BTW, nothing I could find.

I want to use one of those Self-Adhesive wood grain wall contact papers you see around. I'm going to ask the mfgr if they know if it will stick, just wondering who here has already tried it.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Wood laminate on 72 plastic panels

I am currently re-doing some of the plastic panels on my 72 Tradewind with real wood veneers. I looked t replacing the panels with 1/8 inch maple panels but instead opted to cover the existing ones with a oak veneer that is being stained with maple. The goal was to have some real wood in the trailer and match the existing vinyl since the trailer is loaded with it. Will know tomorrow how it looks.

Richard
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Question

Richard,

Looking forward to the photo's

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
I am currently re-doing some of the plastic panels on my 72 Tradewind with real wood veneers. I looked t replacing the panels with 1/8 inch maple panels but instead opted to cover the existing ones with a oak veneer that is being stained with maple. The goal was to have some real wood in the trailer and match the existing vinyl since the trailer is loaded with it. Will know tomorrow how it looks.

Richard
I have considered that solution. I am very interested in how it turns out, too. Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out!

Best Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Is vinyl final?

I hope that it isn't. I mean, should the vinyl over vinyl approach work, it could be re-done at a later date by me or by another owner, because as we all know, AS TTs will outlast any of us!

I also thought over the possibility of real wood veneer, but discarded it due to cost.

I can get a wide choice of vinyl contact paper for about 88˘/sq. ft. and I have not seen wood veneer anywhere near that. Real wood veneer isn't tough to put on, but I don't see how it could be as easy as the cut|peel|stick of vinyl.

Plus, I question wood veneer's potential to withstand all the flexing that cabinets make while travelling that it will have. I think that both wood veneer and vinyl should be better at withstanding the bumps and grinds of human touch than I see for paint, but again, I'd appreciate hearing from those who have re-panted on that subject.

Rich, you can add me to the list of the "very interested" in the results you get!

The choice of vinyl patterns is suprisingly good, too. As well as solid (and even "neon") colours and, of course, the regular flowery wallpaper patterns this is only page one of five pages of wood:

I like both the beech and birch finishes, they remind me of the colours in many of the new AS TTs. Although, I've also admired the very dark wood finish in other ASs, like the blackwood.

But my question remains: has anyone gone this route yet? I am hesitant to waste the time, effort, and money only to find that it's a bad idea...

Will let you know if/when I hear from the mfgr.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I doubt the adhesive will hold in the heat of a closed TT and that the under grain will show through.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcru View Post
I doubt the adhesive will hold in the heat of a closed TT and that the under grain will show through.
I guess I'll wait to hear from the mfr on that. But why would this vinyl paper do that if the original does not? Curious...
Old 04-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Wood on Vinyl

Saw some of the panels today. My goal is to compliment the massive amount of vinyl in my Tradewind with some real wood. May take on more of the trailer in a phase 2 if I like how it turns out. Am also replacing one strip of wood vinyl with some formica that I'm using to replace counter tops with. Will post photos when we're done (better be tomorrow as am heading out for a trial run on Wed.)

Richard
Old 04-07-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, I spoke to the company I found that sells the vinyl product on the web, and found out a few things.

First, as regards heat, she claims that heat does not bother it at all, and told me that they have panels on glass mounted in a south-facing window, and since they did it last summer, no fading, no curling or coming off at all.

Also, I got the name of the manufacturer: it's called D-C-Fix, and their site is at www.d-c-fix.com Unfortunately, the interesting part of the product description is all in German, but still I managed to wade through using Babelfish and find out that a lot of the designs are also made in 36" wide rolls, something that the US web-seller does not mention (or stock, apparently).

I will order a couple of samples today, and try some tests in one of the the closets of the trailer to see how it fares during the summer heat. There's no rush to do this, and I have lots of other things to keep busy with, but I am encouraged so far.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I would think it would be like window tint (or vinyl shelf paper) - if not installed properly, any air that is trapped would expand in the heat & bubbles could appear. It would be a cost effective solution if the installation technique is perfected and the chance of bubbles is eliminated.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
I would think it would be like window tint (or vinyl shelf paper) - if not installed properly, any air that is trapped would expand in the heat & bubbles could appear. It would be a cost effective solution if the installation technique is perfected and the chance of bubbles is eliminated.

Shari
Shari,

Apparently (from what I could gather on the German pages of the actual mfgr) the installation involves a squeegee to avoid the bubble problem, and a pin to let air out should any bubbles get missed.

Yes, I can imagine all the cabinets in my TT done in a very pale birch, or perhaps a beech finish, and all the brown tambour replaced with shiny metallic, then a very dark "wood" floor... Mmmmm...

Well, not next week, of course.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I'm really interested in how your vinyl testing goes ... as I had considered using aluminum tape on a few trim pieces.

FYI: last night I used Fusion to paint the front tambors (covering the old 8-track stereo, et. al). They have more/different texture than my brown laminated ones... Today it looks beautiful and they slide very well. No idea about the long term effectiveness.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Not vinyl but

I am using .028 thick, vertical laminate to redo the panels in my trailer, so far I have done the partition panels and bathroom door.

I plan on making but have not done so yet making new tambour doors for the beds and overhead out of 1/8" tempered hardboard, gluing a ducked cloth on the back and the .028 laminate on the front and cutting the grooves in with an In-Groove CNC Insert Engraving / Signmaking Router Bit System by Amana Tool

bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

[quote=Aage;684807]Shari,

Apparently (from what I could gather on the German pages of the actual mfgr) the installation involves a squeegee to avoid the bubble problem, and a pin to let air out should any bubbles get missed.

This is where you may have a problem, not in the short-term, but probably later. the original surface this was applied to was flat and smooth but with the texture of the woodgrain surface you now have it will be hard to tell if the air is all pushed out or not. I have seen old cabinets that have had this done to them and they often will have developed bubbles between the layers of vinyl. Heat is the thing that makes this happen, as the air expands. The difference between the suppliers display in a south-facing window of a (probably air conditioned) office, and an enclosed airstream in the heat of summer is probably significant. I would only trust that they would like to sell it to you. Beyond that, I would do my own in-trailer test with it , through at least one hot summer before covering a lot of square footage with it.

The other thing to consider is, if it fails, what will you do then? We refer to this stuff as "fly-paper" in the refacing part of our business, where we come across it once in a while. I'll let you guess why!

The up-side is the very low cost. I can't argue with that aspect at all.

Happy streaming, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Photos of Veneer over Vinyl

Here's a couple of pics of the Oak veneer with maple stain in the 72 Tradewind. Problem is now I want to do more of the trailer. Second pic you can see the new wood in front and vinyl in the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0157.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	78454   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0158.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	78455  

Old 04-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hey, lookin' good! What did you do to prep the vinyl, wash then TSP?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Veneer over Vinyl

Good question. Didn't do it myself. I think it got sanded before glued but I will find out.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Wood veneer over Vinyl

They wiped it down and used some super type of glue that I'm told will bond it together. We'll see.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
They wiped it down and used some super type of glue that I'm told will bond it together. We'll see.
OK, well, please keep in touch on this. I find it interesting, because as with the vinyl, there are a zillion differnet types and colours of wood venner one could use.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
No experience here whatsoever, but talked to an office furniture guy who sells new and used furniture. He can and does replace these fake veneers - with something that is like contact paper but a bit thicker and with a less stretchy material than the vinyl in contact paper.

He always removes the original, then applies a replacement. I haven't seen him lately and never asked how he got the old glue off. I'm guessing some sort of solvent.

Will try to find out what he does to get the original off cleanly.

Paula