Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
JoeyOC

1961 26' Overlander
San Clemente , CA
New Table is Wobbly - Suggestions Needed

Hi there! I just purchased a 1961 Overlander...I'm new to Airstreams. We pulled out the couch/bed setup and installed a great wrap-around booth with a great table with a fun checkerboard that a friend handcrafted. The table drops into the bed section. (See photos)

Our problem is that the table is really wobbly. We can cut the removable pole to make it a bit less wobbly, but I was wondering what my options are?

We had first looked for an adjustable pole for the table, but found very few options on Amazon. We purchased an adjustable one for $170, but it was way too high and the manufacturers measurements were way off, so we opted for a fixed position pole (in the photo).

I know we can do a two-pole setup for stability, but haven't found any for sale online. We are going to rent this Airstream out, so we don't want the table broken from rough-housing or people sliding in and out of the booth.

How have other people resolved this issue?

Ideas welcomed! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1008.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	351699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	351700  

joeyoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyoc View Post

...I know we can do a two-pole setup for stability, but haven't found any for sale online. We are going to rent this Airstream out, so we don't want the table broken from rough-housing or people sliding in and out of the booth.

How have other people resolved this issue?

Ideas welcomed! Thank you!
Nice job Joeyoc! It looks very similar to the project that we just completed, where we installed an inexpensive electric table lift purchased online at AliExpress. It comes from China, but only takes a couple of weeks for delivery. So far it's working really well and makes the conversion into a bed or vice versa simple. If you order it, just make sure you select 12v. We got model B, which is the heavy duty one and easily supports the solid walnut table we had made.The kit comes with a wall mount switch and a remote. Installation is straight forward. Good luck with the rest of your renovation.

Here's the link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32815565645.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5f144c4dyjt Ekxem/32815565645.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5f144c4dyjt Ekx[/url]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rosie rear table.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	351727  
Old 09-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You need is a much larger "post" if you are going for a single support design. The alternative is to latch one side to the wall of the trailer and get stability that way. The issue isn't just how much it wobbles. You also need to support that bag full of beer ... errr ... groceries that gets put on one side of the table.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #4
JoeyOC

1961 26' Overlander
San Clemente , CA
Hi Jerry,

Thanks so much for the great lead on the table lift...I had search all over for these. I did go to the site and it wasn't clear to me the lowest height it goes to?

A couple questions:

1. Did you just mount it into the floor with woodscrews? No going deeper into the subfloor to get it lower (like other tables we've seen).

2. Our Airstream is only on 110 (no 12v at all). How did you run the wiring? Your unit looks really nice, but I'm wondering if we're going to have a power issue? We do have a 110 outlet nearby, but it would look awkward plugging in in. We did build a lot of storage seats under the bench seats, so there could be a possibly to run wiring through there?

It looks like a great option, the base is much wider and I will definitely consider it...the price is right!

Thanks so much,
Joey
Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
JoeyOC

1961 26' Overlander
San Clemente , CA
Hey Bob,

Thanks for your reply. Agreed not stable to support groceries or beer, let alone the beer wobbling off the table. Any idea were to source wider bases?

Thanks again,
Joey
Old 09-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyoc View Post
Hey Bob,

Thanks for your reply. Agreed not stable to support groceries or beer, let alone the beer wobbling off the table. Any idea were to source wider bases?

Thanks again,
Joey
Hi

The base is not at all a common item. They are pretty RV DIY specific. I have never seen a "proper sized" one, but they must be out there somewhere.

One option would be to buy one as a replacement part from JC. You might have to go through a dealer to get that done.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Joeyoc
Looks like one model lowers to around 12 inches and raises up to 28 inches and runs on 110v . Looks like it would work for you.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
You might consider changing out the hardware. We used this one: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/imtra...ck--P017190836

It's rock solid and the bump on the floor is minimal.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Valley Village , California
I've created a replica of your dining area in our '93 Excella ... and created the same problem.

I had a different bottom "receiver" bracket that set down into the floor about 3" (rather than sitting on top of the floor like yours does). I was afraid to use it as I don't know how much room there is under the floor (have only had ours for 6 mos.) so I used one just like yours and it wobbles (spilled coffee already a few times!).

Now I'm wondering if that "inset" bracket would be more stable? Anyone know?
stevesiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
Very nice
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
[QUOTE=joeyoc;2286525]Hi Jerry,

Thanks so much for the great lead on the table lift...I had search all over for these. I did go to the site and it wasn't clear to me the lowest height it goes to?

Lowers to 12" and raises up to 28". It's perfect for our bed and table height.
A couple questions:

1. Did you just mount it into the floor with woodscrews? No going deeper into the subfloor to get it lower (like other tables we've seen).

Ours is a Classic motorhome so I couldn't speak to your floor. We ran 4 bolts up and through with a custom frame around it to secure.

2. Our Airstream is only on 110 (no 12v at all). How did you run the wiring? Your unit looks really nice, but I'm wondering if we're going to have a power issue? We do have a 110 outlet nearby, but it would look awkward plugging in in. We did build a lot of storage seats under the bench seats, so there could be a possibly to run wiring through there?

It's hard wired, but if you already have power nearby then wiring it up shouldn't present any real difficulties.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #12
JoeyOC

1961 26' Overlander
San Clemente , CA
Yes indeed...the size looks right height-wise. Now I need to figure out how to run the power? I'm only on 110...hmm, any suggestions!
Old 09-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #13
JoeyOC

1961 26' Overlander
San Clemente , CA
Ahh...I didn't read this thread Jerry...scrolled too fast.

My Airstream is a 1961 and I don't think I want to mess with the subfloor to make it work...don't want to mess it up. You bolted yours...I don't know if it would stay with only wood screws?
Old 09-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #14
JoeyOC

1961 26' Overlander
San Clemente , CA
Thank you Janet! I'll check it out!
Joey
Old 09-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #15
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I used the Springfield pedestal (just one) in my 25FB.

The best source I found was here:
https://www.llebroc.com/product-p/spr-1660230.htm

I have a detailed view of the product here:
https://youtu.be/kq8f_dU8HGk

Works great and quite steady even with two not very careful teens in my trailer.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I used the Springfield pedestal (just one) in my 25FB.

The best source I found was here:
https://www.llebroc.com/product-p/spr-1660230.htm

I have a detailed view of the product here:
https://youtu.be/kq8f_dU8HGk

Works great and quite steady even with two not very careful teens in my trailer.
That pedestal is quite a find. In the end how wobbly is it? Did you just screw it to the floor?

Just subscribed to your channel, lots of cool ideas there. Thanks! Hey, maybe that table upgrade is worth a video!
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #17
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
That pedestal is quite a find. In the end how wobbly is it? Did you just screw it to the floor?

Just subscribed to your channel, lots of cool ideas there. Thanks! Hey, maybe that table upgrade is worth a video!

We don't baby our trailer and I have a 200lb kid that sleeps on the dinette every night, so I think that's a pretty solid testimonial.

The table has an extra piece of plywood under it to give the pedestal screws a little more meat to screw in (and, as luck would have it, it makes the table adjust to exactly the right height for the bed when all the way down).

I have it just screwed to the floor with stainless screws. I think they are #14, but I'd have to double check that. I figured I'd let it sit like that for a couple seasons and see how it's held up (so far: great!) and then if I felt it needed additional support I'd pour some epoxy in the screw holes next time. Not sure I'll ever need that.

Does the table move a little bit when you put your weight on it? Sure... but not much! I have not felt like it's "wobbly" at all, and like I said, it takes a beating. If you want, I could shoot you a quick iPhone video of me and my boys leaning on it for reference.

Thanks for subscribing. Probably the best views of my pedestal table in place are in the "gel lighting" video, but I'll attach a photo here too.

I might do a video on the table mod... good idea!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8868.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	352650  

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote