Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
New Style Cabinets

We are interested in the newer style cabinets in the AS's -- the ones that look like hickory wood. They seem to lighten up the interior of the TT, and we like the mix of aluminum walls with the hickory.

Does anyone know where any can be picked up, either new or used?

I called Colaw's RV Salvage today to see if they have any interiors they pulled from salvaged AS's, but they said they mainly do Moho's now as there are more parts for them to resale, which, of course, brings them in more $$.

Does anyone know if Jackson Center stick builds them on site, or do they have them made elsewhere and they install there?

If nothing else, I'm thinking we can use plywood to build something similar, but it would be a lot simpler if we could find them and just set them in.

Thanks.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Deb,

JC builds a lot of stuff onsite and I think cabinets are among them. In recent years they have been using hickory. They may only sell them, if they do at all, through an Airstream dealer. Or you can go to the service center and have them installed there. I guarantee it will be very expensive.

Any good cabinetmaker can copy the cabinets and make them in his shop. You can take pictures of them at a dealer and use them to show what you want. Then you can mount them yourself and save on the labor costs.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Hall View Post
Does anyone know if Jackson Center stick builds them on site, or do they have them made elsewhere and they install there?
Our tour guide when we were there last fall told us that while they used to make them in the plant, they out-source them now.

But, assuming that they had some that would fit into the curves of your '71, I'll bet they would sell you a set.

Or for a little bit more, you could buy a whole new trailer.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks for replying Gene and Aage. Aage -- I can pretty well assure you that we won't be buying a new one -- not in our plan anytime soon, anyway. (Oh, that was the first Smilie I've used -- it was really easy!) Also, $98/hour labor is just a little more than we care to spend right now too.

I think I'll call JC to see if they do sell them to individuals -- it's worth a try. I have a feeling they are going to be pricey.

The ones we like are the ones which are rounded at the kitchen sink -- if it wasn't for that, I think we can manage to build them. I'm just not certain how to get that curved effect, aside from curfing the wood in the back and/or wetting it, bending, and holding in place until it is dry. Actually, we thought about just doing the doors (which would be the rounded part) totally out of aluminum or very thin gauge stainless steel.

Thanks again.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote