Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2003, 11:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to spaceghost65
New idea for Cabinets.

Hello all,

As i have settled into my new home here in Austin,TX I am looking forward to getting started redoing the cabinets in my '66 Safari. A friend of mine owns his own small construction company and i have "stolen" an idea of his as part of my reburbishing of my trailer. I am wanting to totally redo my cabinets as they have been damaged beyound repair. (well not really, i just want to make them look neat) I am rebuilding the cabintes to the same size and and all that but i am using thick pine plywood, and staing them a nice deep almost cherry red. but heres the fun part. I want to do the doors of the cabintes with just the frame and a thick piece of plexiglass behind it. Then surronding the glass on the frame i want to cut strips of 1 in wide aluminum slats and scrw them to the frame of the door to "outline" the glass with the metal. then some stylish handles and some well placed strong magnets will be used to keep them shut. This way The cabinets will Almost like china cabintes but be sturdy enough to resist the beatings that they take while on the road, AND ill be able to "see" inside them without having to open them.

Let me know what you think! ill try and mabey get some sketches up soon.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:49 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Well ....

Sounds like you may have picked up some ideas from the International CCD with its translucent upper cabinet fronts and interior lighting in the upper cabinets. Frankly, that is one of the features of the CCD that I find to be not at all practical and, for the same reason, I'm not enthusiastic about your idea.

In real life, the contents of cabinets in a trailer are not terribly scenic. On reflection, there is not one cabinet in my trailer that I would want on public display. The contents are arranged to prevent damage, not to be seen. I have pieces of foam and anti-slip pad jammed in here and there as necessary to prevent things from rubbing and items are rightside up, sideways, or upside down to fit the space and to ride safely.

Of course, then there are the two overhead cabinets that contain all my sweaters, T-shirts, socks, and underwear. Not terribly attractive.

As to being able to see what is in the cabinets to find things, that is not really necessary. I know exactly where everything in my trailer is stowed.

I'm here in Austin, also, and I would be glad to let you see a "working" Airstream.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:02 AM   #3
Contributing Member

Invitation

spaceghost65

How about coming out to our Vintage Weekend the end of this month at Hudson Bend, with or without the trailer? You don't have to be a WBCCI member.

http://irwin.home.texas.net/HLU-VW.html

This is a not-to-be-missed chance to talk to other vintage owners, see other vintage Airstreams, and interface with some of the local vendors that specialize in Airstreams. You can also get to hear our banjo band at lunchtime.

If you can come, please call the numbers listed on my web page and let them know you are coming.

I would be pleased to meet you out there.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-09-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thank you for the invitation and I will definitely keep it in mind. Also thank you for offering to show me your trailer. I could use some help with the plumbing and electrical issues my Safari has.
Here are a few shots of the cabinet that my friend built that gave me this idea. The metal trim immediate reminded me of my trailer and the response to the idea has been generally positive.
Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet1.jpg
Views:	897
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1213  
Old 01-09-2003, 06:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Front View
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cabinet2.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1214  
Old 01-09-2003, 07:05 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Cabinets

I think the aluminum cabinet trim might be very striking in an Airstream, especially with simulated rivets. That was not my concern.

What I was questioning is the transparent cabinet fronts. Besides the contents of the cabinets not looking very photogenic, things will invariably vibrate up against the cabinet fronts and plexiglass will get scarred up real quick. I lived with plexiglass on airplane canopies and glider canopies for a lot of years and you have to be very careful even wiping it clean to prevent scratches or worse.

I used Lexan to make sliding panes for the spice shelf in my trailer and I noticed the other day that even it is getting marked up by the containers vibrating against it when under way.

By the way, I will have my 2003 trailer at the vintage get-together as a contrast to the vintage trailers.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-09-2003, 07:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I see. Hmm maybe it’s not such a good idea. Just thought it looked nice. Your input is both valued and appreciated.
Also, can u supply me a mapquest link to the area where the meet is to take place. I have the meet taking place relatively close to me and I live in West Campus! I often gaze at the new Airstreams at the new dealership on North 45 in Houston when I visit my girlfriend on weekends. Simply awesome. Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:52 PM   #8
Contributing Member

A map to Vintage Weekend

Here is a quick map. The event is at the Fishers place. Those who want to stay overnight (me included) can make arrangements to stay at the campground on the map.

Please call and let them know you are coming and with or without a trailer. The phone numbers are on the link I posted above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vintagemap.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1216  
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-09-2003, 11:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
But I LIKE that idea!

Spaceghoust,
I'm all for your idea of the plexiglass.....but can appreciate Pashka's comments for longtivity of the plexi or lexan. However, one idea to consider is putting a "frost" on the plexi, making scratches and items on view a non-issue. I'm partial to the CCD interior...I just can't afford it. I too have been mulling over what to do with my cabinets. I've considered covering them with leather (sort of Ralph Lauren or Pottery Barn-ish), or with either galvanized metal or metal colored plastic laminate (slightly easier to work with than metal). Or...rebuilding them in birch. But first, still sewing my cushions together...... one thing at a time I suppose! Let us know what you decide, and post pics of progress!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:16 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

A company called Cyro makes a plexiglass with an abrasion resistant coating. It is called Acrylite AR (AR meaing abrasion resistant) AR-1 has the coating on one side and AR-2 on both. The coating is supposed to work well, and eliminate the scratches that appear from cleaning and other mild abrasion. Something similar to the coatings on plastic eyeglass lenses I think. I havent tried it yet, but im going to replace a corning window with some and see how it works, it has a ten year non-yellowing warranty.
You can find info on it here:
http://www.tapplastics.com
They sell it along with a host of other plexi products
-Andrew
amfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Why not use chicken wire? I think Martha did that once. Things can breath too.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
You could use the floresent light panels you can by at any home center.
Make each door sort of like a 4 pane window for strength.

The panels come in several paterns, some see thru some cloudy.

Just a thought.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote