Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2003, 11:26 AM   #1
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
New Countertop

I am installing new countertop. This is the beast after the original counter is removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	countertopbefore.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1555  
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
smily,

Will you be doing it just like the old but in a different color? I want to do the same but keep all the original trim and backsplash details. I have even thought about changing the color, maybe using epoxy or similar paint. Mine has the harvest gold color formica, in good shape, just the wrong color. I do need a new sink, for some reason mine has a hole corroded through it, maybe a nice and shiny olympic rivet will do the trick!!

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
in with the new

I did cut out the new countertop just like the original. I bought a nice pice of prefabricated countertop with backspalsh for less than 50 dollars.

The new countertop was not as wide as original so I had to get a little creative with the backsplash.

HD sold the matching laminate in small pieces to trim up the cut areas.

I am making a dining table using matching laminate. very affordable.

Smily
Old 02-21-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
When I did mine....

I removed the whole countertop and peeled the laminate off. It was very easy to remove. We didn't like the yellow color of the original. We purchased new laminate at Lowes. Photos are in my album at the photo site.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 12:39 PM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
laminate prices

I have found that laminate by itself is expensive. for some wierd reason, it seems that you can buy prefabricated countertop for as much or less than ther price of laminte that you will have to cut, glue and edge.

Sometimes you have to buy laminate only, when you are doing restoration work, such as Pick has done.

Smily
Old 02-21-2003, 12:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Ken, I paid $39.95 for the laminate, and the adhesive was $8, then $12 for the roller, and $15 for the laminate trimming tool for the router, which I had already.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 02:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
When I did the counters in my Argosy, which by the way was a much simpler design, I also was able to peel the old laminate off and reapply the new. The tricky thing on the one in my Overlander is the way they have the laminate rolled up at the back for the backsplash. I have never tried to do that, which I guess requires a heated rod or something. I probably wouldn't put a prefab hardware store top in it, but that is just my opinion. aren't they real heavy?

Chas
Old 02-21-2003, 03:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Ok you laminating folks...I just bought a Dremel tool to use to route the laminate edges and do a counter top in my kitchen. I have done lots of projects but never worked with laminate. How about some tips on how to route the edges so they come together ok? If I do well I'd like to make a new top for my fold out rv dinette table, although I have the two matching tables that go with it, aso I would have to try to match the laminate as closely as I can. I appreciate any tips you might offer.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 03:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

"I probably wouldn't put a prefab hardware store top in it, but that is just my opinion. aren't they real heavy?"

I used a prefab counter in my remodel (see my photos). The factory counter was made of laminate over plywood which was a bit thinner than the new particle board counter, so the replacement was heavier. However, by the time I cut out the hole for the sink and stove there was not a lot left! The end result is that the replacement counter is only a pound or two heavier.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:22 PM   #10
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Comparison

I know that this is biased but as Pick has identified, he has purchased several items to do the restoration. All of the items listed certainly imply fabrication, (time consuming and subject to human error.

I have laminated countertops and had a great amount of satisfaction that came from that but I still store the cutting tool, a half a can of adhesive, a router, a roller........ and I still have the human induced flaws.

The truth is that if you have a countertop or surface that is not typical, then you will have to buy laminate and cut the laminate, glue both surfaces, route the edges and hope that your measuremants are precise.

If you have an area that will accomodate a factory countertop, then I believe that the two pounds is an impact that the trailer can stand.

Yes the countertop is heavier but it is due to the fact that the original countertop is really just not quite the quality of todays countertops. I have my original to compare and it is quite literally "flimsy"

A note to the fella thinking about laminating, a router makes all of the difference. If you want that factory edge, only a router will do it. ( I have seen some craftsman, that laminate every day, do it with there old timer pocket knife).

Smily
Old 02-21-2003, 06:09 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

pinopolis , South Carolina
Smily
I just installed a Brass countertop in the bambi today. With it polish out it looks .
Old 02-21-2003, 08:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Granite

Ok, I'm typing this for the third and last time, everytime I have hit submit my pic has been too big and I've lost my whole message. I' ll learn.

Anyways, as I was saying, I have recently installed granite countertops which I am sure will have the thing listing noticeably
Seriously a friend does tilework for a living and talked me into letting him do it. He did it for a buddy price as long as I take him on a couple of buddy trips . I think they look great and along with the new laminate floor have really taken her up a couple of notches. Fantastic Fan just came in yesterday, so that will be next.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream-18a.jpg
Views:	998
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1565  
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:18 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Thumbs up wow

dave

thats nice!

no more worrys about setting a hot pan down!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:24 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

also

We made a new plywood base with 3/4 (maybe it was 5/8) using the old as a template. Instead of using a cement backer board we used this thin flexible material that has indentions on both sides to hold thinset mortar. It is thinner, lighter and more flexible. the project required 14 12" pieces of granite. Here is a pic of the new base and a piece of the material that was used as a base.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream-14a.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1566  
Old 02-21-2003, 10:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Dave-O,

Very nice! A bit over the top, but very nice!! What's next, a double oven? a Sub Zero? I think I will wait until after I get granite in the house before I start in the A/S.

Chas
Old 02-22-2003, 06:47 AM   #16
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Slept on it

While I was sleeping last night it came to me, (I know I am eat up with it), Airstream installed many Corian countertops. Now that is some heavy stuff!

I believe thay have been installing corian for over twenty years. There is a thread somewhere on this topic.

Fred, cant wait to see the Bambi!

Brass countertops, wont they tarnish?

Smily
Old 02-22-2003, 06:57 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Chas,
So you think the red leather couch will be too much?

Yes the granite is a bit much, but how do you turn it down when the whole shooting match cost about $300?
Yes, I have heard it from the wife who does not have granite countertops (yet). But it is easier to justify given the smaller dimensions of the trailer. Better materials at that level are only incrementally more.

Besides, I will probably go with Pleather as opposed to the real stuff \

I did match my sink covers and fridge fronts to match the stainless steel, but it was with spray paint. I wish I could find cheap stainless steel inserts for the front of the fridge.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:05 AM   #18
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
metal fab shop

Stainless is cheap!

I buy it from the local sheetmetal shop.

I bet you can buy two panels cut to size for less than buying a set from a RV dealer. Some number 2 stainless would suit you just fine.

I think about 75 dollars will cover the bill.

Smily
Old 02-22-2003, 08:50 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Not bad, thanks Smiley! And you are right about the laminate by itself being expensive. I checked Lowe's for some Wilsonart stainless steel laminate and they wanted like $550 for a 4X8 sheet (you had to buy a whole sheet). That's when I went to the spray paint aisle!
Old 02-23-2003, 01:29 PM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have done a number of laminate projects on the motorhome as well as around the house. A router or laminate trimmer (lightweight very high speed router) is a must for the true/clean edges.

I see only one issue with the counter that Ken ahs used (preformed from HD) and that is the presswood base. Considering the number of cutouts and exposed edges I would be concerned with mouiste getting into the base and causing the dreaded swelling.

One of the reasons that the countertop that are premade cost less: The formica material is not as thick, this is to allow for the heating and bending to make the one piece backsplash.

When I did the counter in our Argosy MH The original base was Plywood, but the backsplash was presswood. The presswood fell apart in my hands. The plywood I saved and reused scraps for other prjects on the MH.

The biggest problem with learning how to laminate is that soon you think everything can be freshened up with just a sheet of laminate..................
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote