Old 07-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
need new doors

I was looking at the cabinet doors in our 72 Tradewind today, and every single one of them is broken. They are tambour type, everytime I tried to open or close one they just break in a different spot. I must say not the highest of quality. So my question do they make replacements for these or has anyone tryed replacing the plastic with real wood ones? Is this even possible?

My Husband says I should be thinking more about drilling pop rivets and removing panels so he can fix the rotten floor than worrying about cabinet doors.

Annette

Old 07-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You can buy tambour. If you have a specialty wood supplier, they may have it in stock. If not, you can order it online from various suppliers.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you like the tambour, simply carefully remove it from its tracks, get a piece of unbleached muslin and a can of 3M spray contact adhesive. Lay the tambour on a table or workbench face down, measure the muslin to within an inch of the edges where they slide in the tracks, cut out the muslin, spray the glue on the back of the tambour and one side of the muslin. After the adhesive dries, place it on the back of the tambour and press it onto it. After it sets, replace it in the track, and continue to enjoy your tambours.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogsmom View Post
So my question do they make replacements for these or has anyone tryed replacing the plastic with real wood ones? Is this even possible?

Annette: have a look at this video. Shows you how to do it, looks pretty simple...
Old 07-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
WOW Aage, that is a great video, I waited for the credits then found Winona manufacturing on the internet, then a local distributor. One about 50 miles from us. So tomorrow we are going to stop at the place on our way back from ordering our axels. But I was a good girl today and drilled rivets and cleaned up more mouse poops,gee I hate the demolestion part it always so dirty, I like the putting back much better than the ripping out! But one more day and it should be finished.

Annette