Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Blaine , Washington
Question Need more Sleeping Space! Need bunk starting point...

We need another sleeping space for our new-to-us '78 Tradewind. We have 2 kids.

It has the couch/double bed at the back. My thought is to take the overhead cupboards out (the ones over the couch/bed) and add a bunk.

Gulp! Now I don't know where to go/what to do.

We're newbies AS and to trailer life... so don't assume we know anything!

Ideas rollin' around in our heads (after reading previous posts):
- have a cabinetry maker create some custom bunk
- go to an RV service place (ie, someone who'd know how to keep it "light")
- is there a way to order actual Airstream bunk parts??
- leave the fold-out couch/bed and just add a bunk... um from the ceiling? from the outer wall? or....
- remove the fold-out couch/bed and create two twin bunks there?

I saw in an old post the pics of the canvas bunks suspended by cables in a late 60's model. That was an interesting idea.

Again, is there a way to order actual Airstream bunk parts? I'm new to this and can't seem to find that by googling. (Have to balance "surfing for info" with "actual work in the trailer"-- oh, and keeping "regular life" going meanwhile! LOL)

Thanks in advance for your help. It seems that this question (figuring out how to create another sleeping space) will dictate how we proceed with everything else (flooring, new cushions, etc!!!)

We need pointing in a direction and ideas for possibilities.

m
By the Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need more Sleeping Space! Need bunk starting point...

Greetings ByTheBay!

Welcome to the Forums and the World of Vintage Airstream Ownership!

I am afraid that the hammock bunks in their various forms dating from the 1960s and the 1970s have been out of production for quite some time. About the only way to get a factory bunk is to find a coach in a salvage yard that has the complete bunk -- the problem is that the bunks were quite often separated from the coaches early in their lives. The factory hammock bunks were separated from my coach ('64 Overlander) by the second owner who purchased it from the original owners in 1980.

I am not certain from reading your description whether you are wanting to add a bunk above a center double bed or over the front lounge. The more feasible option would be to work with the center bedroom location as you won't encounter the addtional problems posed by the ABS plastic front endcap. A cabinet maker or skilled finish carpenter could surely construct an attractive bunk -- I would hesitate to have a dealer make this type of modification -- I had my favorite dealer replace a cabinet side panel when my new refrigerator went in and ended up having a cabinet maker install a new panel as the one from the dealer just wasn't up to the quality of the factory cabinetry in my Overlander. if you decide to go with a cabinet maker, be sure to advise him/her that it is necessary to anchor to wall ribs as well as the floor -- if it is just anchored to the wall, the anchor will eventually pull out.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: I don't believe that Airstream ever offered the "cabinet bunks" that were a familiar feature in many box-type trailers of the 1960-1980 time period. The various forms of the cable suspended hammock bunks were the usual option. In the 1960s trailers, I am aware of at least two that were customed ordered with twin bunk beds in the center and no roof lockers in that part of the coach.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
Hey BytheBay welcome to the forum,

I too have been thinking about getting a hammock bunk, as my trailer seems to have the fittings for one.

A few months ago someone posted some for sale in "Air Classifieds". Keep an eye out!

All best wishes

Yomster
Yomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
The idea I am toying with is too go thru a military supply/salvage person and get the bunks used in cargo planes to install in the trailer, when I was in the Air Force these are the beds we used when transporting troops on C141, C130 planes. These are aluminmum framed and look just like a folding cot but do not fold, only require 2 connections on the rear and 2 cables or legs on the front, the bottom cot actually has legs on each end that attach to the floor. Another thought is to use the same thing as above but leave the legs on them and just let them set on top of the current bed and attach to the bed frame, thus doing away with attaching to the wall or ceilling. These cots are made to hold a 300 lbs person so they could actually hold an adult.
We have the rear twin beds so this would give us 2 more beds in the rear.
We have 5 grandchildren with 1 on the way, 3 that currently travel with us and 1 more that is going to be of age in the next year or so to travel and this set up would give us 4 beds in the rear and the couch/bed in the front for wife and I.
I dont want to make any changes to the living room area because you never know when you are camping that you may have company.
Of coarse if I get the 34 FT I want this would relieve many of my problems.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Blaine , Washington
anchor points/structure of AS?

Great info.

How do I know where the safe points are in the wall structure to affix it, that will bear the weight?

(ie, in a "regular" house one would use a stud finder.... what is the skeleton of the AS?)

And how much weight would the AS structure support? In other words, would there be enough support to have a hanging/floating bunk? or is it necessary to have the floor helping in that support? (I would like to have something that would support 120lbs at least)

(Hope I'm articulating my structural question well enough... pooped out today from pulling out the dirty old carpet....)
Old 07-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Blaine , Washington
yes, bunk above center double

Yes, I mean adding the bunk about the center double (not the front double)
Old 07-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
I like your idea Sarge...Im thinking about adding a bunk over the street side bed in our 31'...that would be PERFECT! Let me knwo if you find any!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
I like your idea Sarge...Im thinking about adding a bunk over the street side bed in our 31'...that would be PERFECT! Let me knwo if you find any!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX
Will do, as soon as my problem with AS is solved and I have more idea on what is going to happen with this trailer or is it going to be replaced.
I will also contact some people I know and see if I can get ahold of some from the Air Force yard in AZ.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I built bunks on one side of mine if you want a peak you can see them here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...r-44644-2.html

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Blaine , Washington
Thanks, Purman, what a coincidence... I had already shown my hubby your pics! Nice bunks!

My first thought is that I want to leave the original pullout double in and create something over the top of it.

The other thought is pulling it out and doing the two bunks.

How did you attach to the wall/floor? (or, geez, perhaps I need to read and not just look at your pics! tell me if you have already described it somewhere... I was skimming for the pics... and could've spent hrs doing that!!)

margot
Old 11-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

bunk bed for sale

I was going to post an ad in the classifieds but decided to do this first. I am finally selling the bunk from my 1975 25' tradewind. Of course, this is a little complicated as the bunkbed is in Portland, Oregon, and shipping it will cost an arm and a leg with some other body parts thrown in. It does have all the hardware except for the ceiling clips which are in the trailer - in Mexico! See, complicated.

Anyway, the bunk is in great shape and my friend who is storing it will send pictures to anyone who's interested.

I do have a pic of the bunkbed in the trailer and I can send that (can't figure out how to attach it to this here post).

And not to further complicate things, but I have no idea what to ask for it. Seems there aren't a lot around to use as a reference.
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You don't have to take out the overhead lockers.

The OEM cot type bunks come up occassionally on ebay, but are pricey and probably will need new fabric.

I made a canvas bunk from aluminum tubing and marine hardware which did the job until I got 2 OEM bunks. In my Tradewind I use 2, one over each gaucho. If you are interested I will sell the first bunk cheap. There is an old post somewhere in the forums with a photo, but I have lost track of where.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My bunk

Here it is:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1191611810
Old 11-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
We have found the perfect solution to additional guests...they are called tents!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote