Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminati
It didn't take Mark all that long to install the table-hinge contraption, once we got the instructions from Pahaska. And, it works!

Oh, by the way, Neil, we did have those two plastic deelios (they were hiding). We still can't figure out what they're for.
Anyone?

Cheers!
Karin
Hi Karin

The dinette in my Excella has two black plastic blocks on the seats away from the wall near the aisle to support the table when the leg is folded and it is lowered to make a bed. I have included a photo below. Could the mysterious plastic thingies be meant to be used like this? It is pretty dark down there, so the illumination from the flash is harsh, but you can get the idea. (I took a second photo after seeing the dust on top. The dust actually adds definition. The second one is nothing but a blob of black.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table_Block1_DSC00416sm.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	57280  
Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Karin

The dinette in my Excella has two black plastic blocks on the seats away from the wall near the aisle to support the table when the leg is folded and it is lowered to make a bed. I have included a photo below. Could the mysterious plastic thingies be meant to be used like this? It is pretty dark down there, so the illumination from the flash is harsh, but you can get the idea. (I took a second photo after seeing the dust on top. The dust actually adds definition. The second one is nothing but a blob of black.)
I was thinking that I was going to add such "blocks" to support the table when it becomes a bed. But I am concerned the blocks might be annoying when sitting on the gaucho. Do you find that so? When our "children" were children we had a very nice tent trailer. The table rested on a cleat that ran along each gaucho seat.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Not At All

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
I was thinking that I was going to add such "blocks" to support the table when it becomes a bed. But I am concerned the blocks might be annoying when sitting on the gaucho. Do you find that so? When our "children" were children we had a very nice tent trailer. The table rested on a cleat that ran along each gaucho seat.
Neil.
Hi Neil,

I never even notice them. The cushions overhang a little, so I have never even bumped them once.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Could the mysterious plastic thingies be meant to be used like this?
Those are totally different than the ones we have . Ours are smallish, approx. 1"x .16" white plastic. Unfortunately, my husband took the trailer back to our storage unit so I can't photograph them right now. I'll try to post some photos later though.

re: dust
Dust, Rust and Lust never seem to rest! Learn to embrace it!

cheers! Karin

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Dust

Quote:
Those are totally different than the ones we have . Ours are smallish, approx. 1"x .16" white plastic. Unfortunately, my husband took the trailer back to our storage unit so I can't photograph them right now. I'll try to post some photos later though.

re: dust
Dust, Rust and Lust never seem to rest! Learn to embrace it!

cheers! Karin
Hi again,

I was afraid of that, but they are the only plastic I saw when I replaced the table top, other than the laminate on it. I will be buying one of those table hinges and a folding leg when I replace the seats and put the complete old dinette in my Trade Wind. There will be some delay, so even if I found out then it will probably do you no good.

And there is Steve Winwood’s “Dust” off “Arc of a Diver.” What a classic. I’ve been listening to it on iTunes while I replied.

Let us know if you find out what they are.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Hi again,

And there is Steve Winwood’s “Dust” off “Arc of a Diver.” What a classic. I’ve been listening to it on iTunes while I replied.

L
Love Stevie...amazing lyricist and musician.
Attached Images

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
...and another thing!

Quote:

Vaughan,

Since we're slightly off-topic, have you ever heard Steve Winwood's version of Georgia On My Mind (1966!), with the Spencer Davis Group?

He was a mere 18 years old.
Check it out:

Karin

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Hey, Neil,

We have the same plastic blocks as Vaughan on our dinette (except I think ours are white, so the dust is not as visible ), and they are never noticed unless we are sitting on the couch looking under the dinette. I have never had them get in the way while sitting on the dinette (as an adult, your legs go out from the seat too far to touch them, and as a kid, the cushion goes out beyond the dinette frame enough that they won't be felt and they are too high up to kick). They are merely little bumps to support the table when it is down.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Troyer Products

Kim, at Vintage Trailer Supply answered my request for instructions with "none were provided by the manufacturer, Troyer Products." I located their (Troyer) catalog and it shows all the parts available including the white "wedgies" but no instructions. I have no fear of figuring this out but those weggies are really bugging me. Here is the catalog.
http://www.troyerproducts.com/catalog/LIFTABLE.pdf

Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 03-31-2008, 09:58 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Name That Clip!

The illusive J-021 white clip...

Name that clip for $$$$

What is it? Where does it go? What do it do?
Karin
Attached Images

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Covers (Versions)

Quote:
Vaughan,

Since we're slightly off-topic, have you ever heard Steve Winwood's version of Georgia On My Mind (1966!), with the Spencer Davis Group?

He was a mere 18 years old.
Check it out:

Karin
Hi Karin,

No, that was new to me. Thanks! Winwood and Spencer Davis, what a combo. As long as we’re off topic, one of the best covers I have heard was from an unusual artist (to me) and location (also for me). Coming back from Taos on a business trip, I was staying in a motel adjacent to the Quarter Horse Hall of Fame in Amarillo. I had a couple of drinks in the bar, decorated appropriately for the Hall of Fame, a younger customer came up with a CD. They played an excellent cover of “Sweet Dreams.” When I asked who it was, the first response was “You’re probably not going to like it.” and they held up a CD showing Marilyn Manson in full makeup on the cover. My response was “Aw heck, that’s just Alice Cooper’s act warmed over!” They thought about it for a couple of seconds, and then agreed.

It served me well a few years later when I was long-distance dating someone in DC. We were leaving her apartment with her teenage daughter and her boyfriend who was wearing a Marylyn Manson T-shirt. Without thinking, I turned to my friend and asked, “Have you ever heard Marylyn Manson’s cover of Sweet Dreams?” This froze the young man in his tracks. He just couldn’t believe I said that. It really is a good cover, though.

For real favorites, check out Gene’s thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...nes-31858.html. There are just too many to list, and more come all the time.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Helena , Montana
Send a message via AIM to MontanaArgy Send a message via Yahoo to MontanaArgy
Little white thing-a ma-jigs

I put my table bracket in last night. Looks like to me they are used to hold the wire from coming (up) out of the wall bracket. Mount them, one on each wall bracket, on one of the upper screws. They will hold the wire from comng up out of the bracket when moving the table up and down. If the wire needs to be removed, loosen the screw slightly and the plastic thingy can be easily swiveled up out of the way.
MontanaArgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaArgy
I put my table bracket in last night. Looks like to me they are used to hold the wire from coming (up) out of the wall bracket. Mount them, one on each wall bracket, on one of the upper screws. They will hold the wire from comng up out of the bracket when moving the table up and down. If the wire needs to be removed, loosen the screw slightly and the plastic thingy can be easily swiveled up out of the way.
Could you post photos? I have nothing that I would call wires. Perhaps what I would call “rods”, you are calling “wires.” In any event, I have nothing like that.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Helena , Montana
Send a message via AIM to MontanaArgy Send a message via Yahoo to MontanaArgy
Wire

OK, call it a rod instead of a wire. You have a pair of brackets on the wall. You have a pair of brackets on the table. You have a rod which is bent. The rod ends are attached to the table by the table brackets. The middle part of the rod is attached to the wall brackets, and can be popped out upward. These wall brackets are where the plastic parts go as previously described to keep the rod from being popped out upward.
MontanaArgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Ok, makes sense now. The brackets in my Excella have metal parts that slide up to fulfill the same function.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
I will try to get a close-up of the brackets, but meanwhile here is the end result (without the little plastic deelios!). Doorgunner and his main squeeze, Linda Lu are on the right and my hubby, Mark is seated on the left. He built all of the dinette, table/bed and check out the new Marmoleum floor!
best to all, Karin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark, LL &DG.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	59006  

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I have been fiddling (no Karin I don't do fiddles like you) with trying to mount my table. I know how it works but our coach has a 'sill' or shelf that is along the gaucho walls. I don't want to remove that but it isn't high enough to accept the upper folding table brackets...the cupped brackets you normally would mount onto the wall. It looks like this drop table idea goes bye bye for me. I am going to replace the table and it's hinge then cut 2 ply boards to span the space between the seats. I will put cleats on the fronts of the seats for the boards to rest upon. I will make a storage holder for them and the table leaf in the space behind the dropped table against the front wall. Nice work on your table and floor, guys,
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 04-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Neil, that sounds like it will work. Each Airstream has its own peculiarities. Mark had a heck of a time getting the table to sit just below the drapery channel.
Karin

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Neil, that sounds like it will work. Each Airstream has its own peculiarities. Mark had a heck of a time getting the table to sit just below the drapery channel.
Karin
Yeah, Karin, I think so too. I was amazed when after we bought the Trade Wind that AS had not thought of the bed/table option. When the 'kids' were kids we owned a couple of nice Coleman tent trailers. Their tables, of course, had to ride between the seats when the trailer was folded. But even better the table had a set of fold-up legs to where the table could be used anywhere....like an extra table in the house for the company for the Holiday feast. Maybe I could duplicate that by locating some fold up table legs. The PO left us their solution which was two 2'X6' planks stashed under the twin mattresses. We used the dinett bed table option last year when our daughter and baby needed to bed down in the trailer because she needed to nurse during the night. What a hassle to pull up everything to make that bed up!
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid