Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
1962 19' Globetrotter
Vian , Oklahoma
Question Luan for cabinets

Has anyone used Luan for the cabinets? I can get it in 1/8 & 1/4 inch. I was thinking about whitewashing the upper cabinet. It had the white vinyl covering on it. But its coming off in some of the corners or was peeled off. I need something in 1/8 inch to fit the metal track. Pam
blondie3265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie3265
Has anyone used Luan for the cabinets? I can get it in 1/8 & 1/4 inch. I was thinking about whitewashing the upper cabinet. It had the white vinyl covering on it. But its coming off in some of the corners or was peeled off. I need something in 1/8 inch to fit the metal track. Pam
Pam from what I've seen the vinyl covered wood on our 24' rear door was luan under the plastic. I have found that Luan is pretty flabby stuff. You can get Euro-Ply in 1/8" and it is much stiffer. If you don't need the extra stiffness you can use Luan, it is also called a Door Skin.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Laun would be consider a construction grade plywood. Not good for cabinets. Here's a link to a good introduction to cabinet grade ply. -Highland Hardwoods: Hardwood Flooring, Retail Hardwood Lumber, Wholesale Hardwood Lumber. Click on " Other Products" and the "Plywood". It will tell you pretty much everything you need to know. This is just one company there are many many more. A lot of these companies sale mail order or you may find a company the carries cabinet grade plys right in your area.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would also vote no. I made a replacement panel for my kitchen cabinet out of Luan. I used 5.2mm (3/16") underlayment. I was stiff enough, but I had other problems with it.

It sheds long, sharp, and hard splinters. It looks ugly when you stain it. If you paint it, you will need to use a sealer and then a surfacer to get a nice surface.

I'd use something else.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
True laun is treated with chemicals that is suppose to provide water resistance, and was made as an under-layment for flooring. It was not laminated with staining in mind, so it is very porous.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Actually it was never intended as an underlayment for floors although a lot of contrators continue using it for just this purpose.I stopped using it for underlayment about 15 yeras ago but certainly used my share before that.A lot of people think it's kind of a cheap Mahogony but it isn't and most true Lauan was logged out years ago. Lauan is just a generic name for a cheap wood laminateI. t's not even true plywood. I don't use it for anything anymore .it's just to cheap and poorly made for much of anything except maybe packing crate sides.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I would venture to think that the term "Luan" is very generic, and used loosely by both manufacturer and suppliers.

My supplier said their manufacturer treated their "Luan" with chemicals for waterproofing, with floor work in mind.

Did they tell the truth? I don't know, and as far as cabinet work is concerned, don't care. Point is, it's not anything you want to use for cabinet work.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Spiffy Gem, take a look at this site. Click on underlayment. Import Plywood Marketing Group, Inc.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Craftsman, thanks for the link. I really didn't realize that there was a difference of concept with regard to lauan, until your earlier post.

According to the lauan link provided, "Lauan was the generic name". Looking under the Lauan/Meranti link they say

"As is the case with domestic plywood and lumber, each producer has their own unique "quality stamp" that can be seen in the quality of their production."

This could make any discussion about any domestic wood products very inconsistent, depending on the producer.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
1962 19' Globetrotter
Vian , Oklahoma
Thanks for all the info! I knew there was a reason i was dragging my feet on this. Thanks again!!!!! Pam
blondie3265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

You might also check into sign material suppliers. (R & J Sign Supply, Sign Supplies, Vinyl, Graphtec Vinyl Cutters, Sign Software, FlexiSIGN) they offer aluminum clad plywood & vinyl clad plywood in various thicknesses. Check the substrates button. Also can purchase vinyl in brushed aluminum or aluminum deck tread look for many AS applications.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote