Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Locking Airstream drawers

Howdy!
I know yAll have a solution for our Airsream drawers sliding open in transit.

We have balanced tires, verified the builtin retainer operation of the drawer slides, installed the Centramatics and we have solutioned 90%. However, it appears Texans are no longer repairing the roads around here because all the drawers were open and even clothes fell off hangers in our trip up I35 today.

Guess I need to try something else on the drawers... The clothes, well, different hangers might help. Thanks in advance!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Not sure what type your 1999 uses but for the drawers it's probably the back of the drawer type catch. This was discussed on another thread and a good solution was this... Easy RV Mod -> Upgrade Your Drawer Latches | Wheeling It I swapped the out the drawer catches on some of my problem drawers and haven't had an issue after numerous trips.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
While you research more technically manufactured options, a plastic jar of bungees at Wal-Mart for a few bucks might be your salvation. I got a jar of variable lengths and just connect them between handles (high and low) which has worked flawlessly for years. Both Texas and Louisiana have undulating road beds which seem to match the oscillation rate necessary for opening cabinetry and breaking the plastic catches.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Petaluma , California
I'd found the Wheeling It post mentioned above and have ordered those latches but not yet installed. I love the idea of the adjustable tension so you can out a little more pressure on the ones full of cans and bottles and ease off on the silverware drawer.

Dave
Advodna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Great tip! There is a Lee Valley store just a couple of miles from my home so I will pick up some of the latches and give them a try.

The worst culprits for sliding out in our trailer are the large drawers under the queen bed so I will give them a try there.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
+1 on those latches. Now the drop down base on the jackknife sofa stays UP. Must try the I-35 test soon...

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
If you don't want to completely change things the latches Airstream uses come in 2 different strengths. I believe they are 2 and 10 lbs pull but not certain. Airstream uses the lower. Know this won't help much but there was something in the Blue Beret some years ago about how to visually tell the difference.

If you're still under warranty andf having problems with drawers opening while underway Airstream will replace the latches. They have the stronger ones available as replacements. Had 3 done on my 2007 20' Safari.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks all! I will research what ours have. From what I thought I recalled was no "rear" catch. Just the little raised area at front of slide.

As for bungies... I have considered them...but that won't work on single drawers in bedroom... At least I WILL give it a better look!

Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I really can't take credit for this because the PO built it. Our AS has four drawers, one above the other. The PO made a stick the length of the drawers top to bottom and wide enough to slip down through the handles. On the top of the stick he glued a wedge to keep the stick from falling through. This has kept our drawers closed over some really terrible roads.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
A possible solution...

I found the website for the drawer slides in our Excella!

Houck Industries Recreational Vehicle Drawer Slides