Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
LED strip lighting in closets

My 64 has a closet opposite the sink in the kitchen. I'm keeping everything original, but that closet is getting converted to a pantry. Nobody needs 4 closets for hanging clothes. Really.

Anyway, when I had my belly pan open, I added some waterproof LED strips in the area with the pop out stairs so I could light them up at night, then ran the wire into the closet since I knew i had to put a switch somewhere. Then in the closet, I did a full loop of LED strip lights inside the door frame. Lights up every inch inside the closet with no shadows.

The trashcan is a slide out, and I'll add a slide out shelf for a microwave and a really good silverware/catch all drawer on self closing slides, but I'm doing everything in the original red oak and matching stain so it'll look as close to something they might have put in back in 64 as possible. For the switches, I could have gone retro, but these round switches are just so convenient.

I got a "U" shaped piece of aluminum left over from when I put in the hot water tank, and I brushed it with an orbital sander, the drill the holes to pop in the switches. It screws from the backside into the frame. Very solid feel to it, and almost looks original except i didn't use old style toggle switches.

The picture doesn't do it justice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	245849  
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote