Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2007, 01:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Laminates used in 1967 Overlander

Howdy all. I just acquired a 1967 Overlander (International Land Yacht per the badging) in original or older restored condition. My question is what the original laminates (designs, colors, etc.) are supposed to look like in the kichen and bath. My AS color scheme is an aqua or mint color for the Magic Chef oven and bath. The kitchen counter is currently covered in a white laminate or the bathroom vertical surfaces covered by a layer of white latex paint. But looking under the loose parts of the kitchen laminate or by carefully stripping the white paint with Citristrip, I believe the original laminate is still there in what looks to be decent condition. I will try to post some pics, but the kitchen countertop laminate under the white laminate looks like little white and aqua flowers in a field of a mint color. The bathroom cabinet doors and what looks like the original sink covers are covered with this same design laminate. The shower wall is a different laminate design of aquamarine "squigglies" and silver speckles in a field of white. My question to the experts out there is whether this is the original factory installed laminate.Thanks in advance.
bighowdytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Here's a a link to a 1967 sales brochure:

http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...c=3207&userid=

The kitchen and bath are complementary patterns - not identical.

Below is a picture of my original 1967 kitchen sink laminate.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001134.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	51583  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
That's the laminate in the kitchen AND the bath cabinet doors. the shower wall is a different laminate but sure looks like it is an original installation. No striped laminate.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Here is a link to some pictures I took of a 68 Ambassador, not sure if they will help or not...I am more of a 70's guy As far as I could tell this trailer was pretty much original.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Tex

Take a look here! Good pictures of the laminate you're asking about.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
60s Laminates

My '67 has laminates just like TomW
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks everyone. From the pics that Aaron took and the info everyone has provided it looks like the back surface of the bathroom cabinet doors are laminated in the matching stripe pattern as most of the 67's I have seen in forum pics. Mine are painted white front AND back currently. I will strip the back panel and see what I've got. If the the back panels match what is on the front surface (which matches the original kitchen countertop laminate,) maybe at the factory they decided to use up leftovers of what they had of the kitchen laminate or maybe the original purchaser did some kind of weird custom order. Maybe they did a custom order on the shower wall laminate and bath side sliding panel door...OR it is just a really good bath refurb from somewhere in the last 41 years. We'll see.

Also, a question on the curved bath interior side and roof panel. Is this a single color panel or is it a molded in multi-color design?

Ronnie
Old 01-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighowdytex
Also, a question on the curved bath interior side and roof panel. Is this a single color panel or is it a molded in multi-color design?
Ronnie, the endcap should be one color. It is made of gelcoated fiberglass. Mine is in a color to match the tub/sink/vanity.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I stripped the back of all of the bath cabinet doors AND the shelves in the wall medicine cabinet. The laminate underneath the paint is the same laminate on the front of the cabinets and is the SAME laminate as the original kitchen countertop laminate. I am pretty sure this is all original, but it is not the more common striped laminate I have seen in pics for the bathroom all over the internet. The shower door and bathroom side of the sliding panel door is the strange turqoise squiggles with silver speckles in a white background which I am unsure as being original. However, it looks like none of the bathroom has ever been taken apart for a previous refurb. All the pics I have seen show the more common stiped design.

I am doing a quick fine wet sanding of the plastic sink and cabinets to get rid of the stains and then will use that "N" polish stuff to get a good final polish and shine to it.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighowdytex
The laminate.... is the SAME laminate as the original kitchen countertop laminate. I am pretty sure this is all original, but it is not the more common striped laminate I have seen in pics for the bathroom all over the internet. The shower door and bathroom side of the sliding panel door is the strange turqoise squiggles with silver speckles in a white background which I am unsure as being original.
Yours is the original... just like mine and TomW. I like the stipped laminate, but to be honest it looks cooler in the pictures than it does in-person.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the info Steve.

I noticed that you and some of the other forum members commented on my own particular AS back in September when the PO put it up on ebay. I was the high bidder back then, but it didn't sell since nobody met his reserve. I got a hold of him, drove the 40 miles from Austin to Belton, Tx the day after the auction closed and made the deal for $6500 after a quick inspection (he already had several other interested parties call him even while I was there inspecting it). After I made the deal I had a little buyers remorse thinking I had paid a little too much for it. But that went away away after I made the final payment on a bright Texas October day and followed him on my motorcycle back to Austin through the rolling farmland and curvy country roads east of Austin. It looked like it pulled like a dream and pulled very straight. I should have video taped it. It was like a commercial for Airstream. All kinds of folks honked and waved at us along the way. The Overlander wasn't perfect of course but it did have the new zip dee awning, brand new tires and brakes, and he threw in an equalizing hitch (and the propane tanks were full). I figured all that was probably worth $2-3K easy, plus he towed it right to my new pull through fulltime RV spot in Austin, so to rationalize the purchase, I figured the trailers real base cost at $3500-4500. The interior was all original and, especially the bath, was in good shape, and ALL there (including the propane interior light). It still had most of the original curved Corning windows...only one plexiglass curved replacement. Ithad been owned by AS enthusiasts previously. The fellow I bought it from had had a '55 and '60 previously and the owner before that was a caravanner. It does have some frame rot under the entry door (but is still really solid there) and a small soft spot in the floor at the very rear of the trailer which I am going to do a little repair on. I does look like it took a hard bump on the right side where the bulkhead upright punch a small hole up into the interior panel. I have seen this discussed on the forum in depth. It is not very noticeable though and I think I can fix it. Most of the dents of any appreciable size are on the top of the trailer and very few on the side or on the front or rear bottom panels. I don't think the belly pan has ever been off. I am afraid to take it off to inspect the frame. I am afraid I will find frame rot every where if I take it off, but where I can see the frame outriggers (around the axle and rear of the trailer) it doesn't look bad. My plan is to maybe make 5 big trips in the next five years and 250 mile trips to the Texas coast every two months over that period of time and live it it full time, fixing it up as I go along. I have been living in it fulltime for 3 months now. It is perfect for me, but I couldn't convince my girlfriend to do it. Actually, I think me moving into the AS may have contributed to our breakup. I spend for time with it than her.

I am working on getting the "Leaky Tiki" as I am named the AS this week, ready for the Texas Vintage Rally in February. I am doing a modest rehab and redeocorating job with a rat rod/tiki style interior and exterior. I am hanging window-sized bamboo fencing between the window glass and screens for a privacy screen and making interior drapes from burlap coffee bags. I am making a cover for the existing front sofa from several Mexican blankets sown together. I have a bamboo rug for the salon area and may, if time permits, do a temporary and non-permanent recover of the kitchen countertops and the overhead cabinets with remnants of bamboo rugs. The exterior decor will feature a palm thatch overlay on the existing zip dee awning as well as a palm thatch and bamboo frame awning treatment on the front and rear windows. I am making some brackets for the curb side of the "LT" on which I will mount a 60's vintage surfboard to serve as a shelf on which I can put a small aluminum beer keg style propane grill. And of course who can forget the tiki bar. I have a 6 foot long vintage style bamboo tiki bar that breaks down and stores in the trailer when enroute and 4 stools.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

Ronnie,

Great story! Don't regret for a minute your purchase price. I agree with your math and I'll add that the experience you describe in your story is worth a million bucks!

I see why you were asking about the laminates. I've seen the striped stuff and it would coordinate very well with your rat rod/tiki theme. Check out Wilsonart's Indie Collection they may have something that trips your trigger. There are a couple of striped patterns in the collection.

Based on some of the damage you describe and the fact that you will be using your trailer extensively I would suggest you consider replacing the axles. It is not a hard job and should cost you between $800 and $1600 depending on which axles you choose. There is loads of info on the forum regarding axle replacement.

Good Luck and have FUN... it sounds like you already are.

Tags
1967, 1967 overlander