Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Installing Tambour Doors

Just recently purchased my first Airstream, a 1973 Safari 23'. We need to replace the tambour doors. Have found a place to buy the tambour sheets. How do I install the doors after cutting them to size. Have to replace all of them. Also some of the tracks are missing, where can I buy replacement track for an Airstream???. It would be appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction. Regards, eddo
eddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hi, and let me be the first to welcome you to the forums! I'm new too and have already gotten a lot of help. Regards your tambour, where did you find it please? If I decide to not re-do my tambour, (just not sure yet) you can have my tracks. -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
welcome to the club

I'd like to do the same, but I figure there's no way I'd ever match the original tambour, or the fake-walnut interior of the trailer. So unless I find junk parts, I'll wait 'till I do the whole enchilada. (like that'll ever happen hey, I can dream, right?).

meanwhile, here's what I've found:

Inland-Andy told me that he has some of the scrolls. Airstream Innovations at Inland RV Center, Inc. (951) 734-8130

you can also get some stuff here: http://www.outwater.com/catalog04/outwater/opi386.htm

I also found this, which helps explain how to install/remove and fix existing tambour:

http://www.silvertwinkie.com/tambour/index.html [on edit: link is broken 12-10-06]
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Eddo,

I too would like to know where you found a source of the tambor sheet. I am going to have to rebuild my interior from scratch and may or may not want to use tambor doors. I would at least like the option.

Thanks,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
you could try www.winonamanufacturing.com
Airstream 1975! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
These people will sell you an entire roll. All you have to do is cut to length and attach hardware.
Airstream 1975! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
New Tambour

Back in June I replaced all of the tambour in our '71 Tradewind (except for the white tambour in the bath). It is not that difficult.

Bought tambour from Winona Manufacturing - white maple veneer if I remember correctly. The tambour from Winona is slightly too thick for the original tracks. To make the tambour work I had to use a router to shave the fabric and and a small amount of the veneer off the back of the tambour where it slides in the track. Easy to do if you have a router and a table.

From there you need to come up with handles for the doors. Using a band saw and the router again, made new handles for all of the doors. Hardest part is deciding how big to make the handles. Attached the handles to the tambour with screws and glue. (The tambour comes with a wide slat on the edge that is intended (i think...) for attaching handles).

We finished the doors with "Dark Walnut" oil finish from Watco.

I'll try to post some photos (trying to get back into the work routine after a 4 week, 6k mile trip with the trailer....)

- Mark
qjktx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

tambour repair guide

Eddo,
We repaired many of our tambours a couple of years ago, and I posted some pics of the repair process. You can follow the steps even if you're starting with new materials.

here's the original post with the URL of the "guide":

I've tried several methods for repairing tambour, some of which I learned on this Forum. I just finished up a couple of tambour repairs this past weekend, and have posted some photos of a repair process (along with some comments of what methods haven't worked for me) at:
http://www.silvertwinkie.com/tambour/index.html

A couple of the photos show the installation process, which may help answer one of the previous posts concerning how the tambour spirals are mounted.

gary
garymacf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:19 PM   #9
Zee
Zee

This has been a great help. Thank you all.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #10
Zee
Zee

Interior walls?

Can anyone tell me what the official material name the brown interior
walls in a 1971 Overlander are called? Its the curved brown partition walls
that I'm trying to replace in my gutted airstream. Any info would be a great
help.

Zee
Old 08-07-2005, 12:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Another place to get tambour doors is tapease.com. They have metal,wood, vinyl and laminate.

Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
Eddo,

I too would like to know where you found a source of the tambor sheet. I am going to have to rebuild my interior from scratch and may or may not want to use tambor doors. I would at least like the option.

Thanks,

Malcolm
Malcolm,

Here is a link for the tambor sheets,
http://www.surfacingsolution.com/Tambour.htm
Old 08-09-2005, 09:47 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the offer on the tracks, The place that I found was http://www.surfacingsolution.com/Tambour.htm hope this helps, they seem very nice there and a 4x8' section is about 95.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
hi, and let me be the first to welcome you to the forums! I'm new too and have already gotten a lot of help. Regards your tambour, where did you find it please? If I decide to not re-do my tambour, (just not sure yet) you can have my tracks. -tim
Old 02-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
cass , Texas
I am missing the ones on top in the kitchen. I repaired one the the bedroom, just for it to fall apart in a different area. I have gotten the others to roll better with silicon spray, and cleaning. I have been told you can buy them brand new? Wonder if I put them under my pillow tonight? Is their a Tambour fairy?
krazeekalvin is offline   Reply With Quote