Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Install Safe in 22' Bambi?

How & where to install a safe? I have one to fit 15" laptop. Not sure where I can put it. Anyone done this?
LuLuAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
I use a small valuables safe with a steel cable. I just loop the cable around something solid (e.g. Clothes Rod) and lock it up.

Other alternatives I suppose are securing a safe with lag bolts or similar.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Possibly more important to keep things HIDDEN than to keep them in a safe. Who would look through your smelly socks to find your laptop? So how about keeping it 3/4 the way down in a laundry basket? Or better (really worse!) if you have a cat, make a litter box with a false bottom. NO one gonna go lookin' for buried treasure there!

Seriously, back up your computer to a flash drive, figure out how important your data is and whether you should have the computer ready to destroy it if someone unauthorized logs in.

Someone who'll steal from you will tear the lock off of your trailer door, and start smashing up your whole trailer if they get frustrated by finding a safe there. There is a lot to be said for taking reasonable precautions - and perhaps leaving out a cookie jar to be stolen than super protecting everything.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Our 86 Limited has a fire proof lock box under the dinette cushion close to the wheel well. The owners manual says it's for valuables like jewelry or cash. Oh oh, I just let the cat out of the bag so to speak. Please don't tell any thieves.

We have never used it as we don't have anything valuable.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdnutt View Post
How & where to install a safe? I have one to fit 15" laptop. Not sure where I can put it. Anyone done this?
Safes are a mixed blessing. The harder it is to find, then the harder it is to access, and thus the less likely you are to actually use it.

Laptops are cheap, data is irreplaceable. So protect your data— with multiple flash drives and/or external hard drives (one of which should be left at home or in a safe deposit box at your bank), an account on a cloud server, or whatever works best for you. Let your insurance worry about your laptop.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
You have gotten some great advice here. Back up your data and forget it. You need all the space you can find for things you will use every day. Put your safe in your home.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Our gently used 28' has a safe under the bed..the door is unlocked to the safe. Nice safe and the key has TS cut into it..hehe The Safe.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
One of the 70's model trailers I owned had a drawer, similar to a safety deposit box, mounted inside the kitchen cabinet. There was a plate steel box, bolted to the floor into one of the cross members, that the drawer fit into. I bought it without a key and I sold it never opened. I still wonder what was in there. It rattled.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I installed a "safe" from Sprinterstore.com under the passenger seat of my 2005 Interstate. It was just right for a laptop and papers.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Thank you all!

This is really good advice. I will be gone for a couple months at a time so I will need to take some valuables. Although I may or may not have a laptop I will have other items I am sure. Will look to see if I can secure something in the tow vehicle. Thanks agsin.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Bell Buckle , Tennessee
The biggest thing with any safe install is to not put it out in the open. If it's visible through the windows it's just inviting opportunistic thieves.
I'd put it under a couch or a bed.

Use bolts with large washers and nuts on the bottom, do not use Lag bolts as they are easily(ish) removed with a swift kick. A nut and washer has a much larger surface area and would have to have tools to remove.
Just my opinion of course
theGMCRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Have thought about this in the past. I don't wish to instigate a thread hijack, but I've considered a safe under the floor of a closet for a handgun. Something big enough for a laptop seems like it would have to be pretty bulky, but for small firearms there are models designed to be bolted under car seats. Seems like that kind of size and construction would be easily adapted to sit within the frame members in a trailer as well.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Thank you. I opted for a handgun safe padlocked to the drivers seat. It is big enough for cash.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdnutt View Post
Thank you. I opted for a handgun safe padlocked to the drivers seat. It is big enough for cash.
Perfect! Glad it worked out.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A neighbor recently showed us the Console Vault in his pickup. He locks up a tablet and portable GPS in it; not sure if a laptop would fit. Very secure for cash and other valuables, too.

http://www.consolevault.com/
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
A neighbor recently showed us the Console Vault in his pickup. He locks up a tablet and portable GPS in it; not sure if a laptop would fit. Very secure for cash and other valuables, too.

http://www.consolevault.com/

Very nice.

$269 is a bit above my budget.

Anyone know of any similar options at a lower price point? Ideally with a simplex lock?

I have a keyed cable nanovault that I store, uh, valuables in the center console. Looking for something a bit faster (no key, no biometrics) as well as upward opening rather than the nanovault clamshell.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:50 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Try Bass Pro Shop, they have wide selection and many are on sale...

http://m.basspro.com/Hornady-TriPoin...ct/1402061012/
Al Boondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Harbor freight has some elcheapo ones. I installed one (location undisclosed ) in one of our trailers. Thru bolts into the floor won't stop a determined bad person but it will slow them down and possibly skin their knuckles
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
I bought a small handgun safe from Sportsmanswarehouse. Made out of steel with a padded interior. I put it in an out of the way place near the bed of my 22' sport and fastened it to the floor with four short metal screws. It's not going anywhere. I use it to store cash and CCards. Works out just fine.

I am thinking about replacing the wood floor in the closet of my sport with a heavier pcs of plywood laminate and cutting a small sub floor in the plywood that would be covered by the carpeted floor of the closet. Problem with that is when we travel the closet is full and I'd have to unload it to get to it. The floor mount may not be hidden but the thief would have to destroy it to get it off the floor. Not the "prettiest" but very functional.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 12:32 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sacramento , California
What about using rivets to mount safe rather than screws (harder to remove). Futhermore this keeps in theme with the trailer?
dmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote