Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Inovative Ideas for Interiors

I'm sure others have seen this item but, I thought something like this would be a great idea for Airstream to install as a goucho for families with young children as an optional sleeping arrangement.

A good example of thinking outside the box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inovative Ideas.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	138735

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Wonder if this would fit in a 24 ft. Argosy?
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Do you have a link for that. I am interested in dimensions and availability.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
DOC a sofa bed that converts in to a bunk bed in two secounds

It looks like it is only available in the U.K. what a cool couch! I wonder if it is comfortable?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
2Vets,

Thanks for posting the link.

After seeing the video it looks like a great idea for a bedding solution.
It operates on gas pistons and they also have an XL version.

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I would be a bit concerned about wall clearance for the top bunk. At the height that the top bunk is, the walls have started to curve inward on an Airstream. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Burlington , Vermont
OK two idea's i've been though experimenting on (haven't done any research yet)

1) Murphy Bed - a bed that folds into the wall to accomodate a shared space when not in use - granted the bed would stil use condierable space while retracted, but you could store bikes, etc. in its place while on the move.

2) collapsable shower - when not in use you're shower is truly dead space, so what if you slid a closet into it or had it collapse on its self . . .I can't quite think of how to maintain a waterproof seal with a collapsable function . . .
MORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Inovative Ideas for Interiors

Greetings MORA!

I love your ideas, and they put a couple of thoughts into my head . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORA View Post
OK two idea's i've been though experimenting on (haven't done any research yet)

1) Murphy Bed - a bed that folds into the wall to accomodate a shared space when not in use - granted the bed would stil use condierable space while retracted, but you could store bikes, etc. in its place while on the move.
The biggest issue that I can see would be in adding the vertical structural support to securely fasten the bed to the wall while in transit . . . something that shouldn't be terribly difficult with a steel cage attached to the chassis. Such a design would add several options . . . .
  • When folded into its cabinet, a fold-down dining table (similar to the Credenza Tables in Vintage Airstreams) could be built into the base along with a storage pocket for four folding chairs (similar to those included with Vintage Airstreams that had drop-leaf dining tables). The bedroom could then serve double-duty as dining area or game room. When in travel mode the table and chairs would be securely stored in the base of the Murphy bed allowing floor space to carry bicycles or other camping equipment that might prove difficult to carry otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORA View Post
2) collapsable shower - when not in use you're shower is truly dead space, so what if you slid a closet into it or had it collapse on its self . . .I can't quite think of how to maintain a waterproof seal with a collapsable function . . .
The Tow Low was a hard-sided travel trailer manufactured for several decades. It was equipped with full bathrooms and the sidewalls collapsed to about 4-feet tall for travel/storage. Their shower stalls telescoped, and seemed to comparatively trouble-free. I don't really know whether there would additional storage provided with a collapsible shower as whatever were stored in that position would have to be moved unless it was something that would always be utilized outside of the coach when camped.

On second thought . . . I could see how it might be designed such that a half-height wardrobe or a cabinet of that approximate size could be designed to slide forward into space normally occupied by the shower to increase room in the bedroom area . . . a sliding entertainment center that would be over the foot of the bed when the shower is in use . . . or in the shower's space when the shower is in storage position . . . .

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
folding bathroom

Trailmanor, folding hardsided trailers, have bathrooms where the side walls fold down on top of each other. Quick and easy. If the walls were built sturdy enough the top could be used as a table or eating surface when not a bathroom.
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I wanted to minimize the dead space of a shower or tub when I remodeled my '72, and came up with a solution involving a shower pan that is normally stowed under the new queen bed platform, via a slot in the bathroom wall. When a shower is desired, you slide the pan out into the space in front of the commode, nesting the drain of the pan into a floor drain, and hanging a shower curtain all around the inside lip of the pan. This takes just a couple minutes set-up and take-down time, and has worked well for us.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Any submariners out there? I bought a complete, folding toilet/washroom from a submarine. Its all stainless steel and fits a 1940/50's style. It is actually pretty cool. I have to have that special project for this one.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
I wanted to minimize the dead space of a shower or tub when I remodeled my '72, and came up with a solution involving a shower pan that is normally stowed under the new queen bed platform, via a slot in the bathroom wall. When a shower is desired, you slide the pan out into the space in front of the commode, nesting the drain of the pan into a floor drain, and hanging a shower curtain all around the inside lip of the pan. This takes just a couple minutes set-up and take-down time, and has worked well for us.
How do you keep the used shower water from splashing out, of I assume, a tank, when towing?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Andy- I plumbed the floor drain directly into the main drain pipe in the rear of the trailer, there is neither a trap nor a holding tank for the used water. So- if we're on campground sewer hook-ups, it goes directly down the slinky while showering. For boondocking, we use a 5-gallon bucket or a blue-tote to collect the water (about 4 to 5 gallons total, for wife and I) and then we can haul it back in and dump it down the toilet into the black tank. Or you could treat it as you would for the water from an outdoor shower (whether one of those solar bags hanging from a tree or a plumbed exterior shower head on the trailer) which is, obviously, to let it disperse on the ground. If this were the case, a bio-degradable soap would be in order, along with some kind of filter.
It may well be a better idea to have a holding tank below decks, and some kind of drain plug to avoid the splashing out you mention; what I have rigged up was a compromise between space, labor, parts, and convenience. Works for us.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Any submariners out there? I bought a complete, folding toilet/washroom from a submarine. Its all stainless steel and fits a 1940/50's style. It is actually pretty cool. I have to have that special project for this one.
You know the drill. If you are going to talk about something unique, you need to post pictures.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote