Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Port Townsend , Washington
Ideas for new dinette/bed

Hey folks:

I have a 1979 Tradewind that I acquired early last year. It spent most of its life in a shed in a mining camp and is in excellent shape. However, I just don't like the look of the fake wood. So I am about to launch a renovation, beginning with dinette/bed in front. My plan is to pull out existing dinette and replace it with something in maple, with a center pillar under table rather than the wall mount.

I'd love to see some picture of things you have done. Or hear any suggestions. Thanks!
douggant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We are building a horseshoe dinning area. This is the start of the seating Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0724.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	336193. So we can watch TV comfortable and have the table free standing on the floor.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Port Townsend , Washington
I like that. I'm thinking of same thing -- put table on a collapsible pedestal rather than existing swinging wall mount, then have the ability to sit on the sides or front (tongue end).

How are you managing weight, or do you think you're keeping things about the same?

Doug
douggant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Airstream now provides "U" shaped dinettes in a few of their bigger models. We built such a dinette in the son's 69 Globetrotter. It has a collapsible pedestal support for the table. We also built "leaves" for the table so they could be folded up into a coffee table at the son's request.

Here is a photo of the completed project. He can sit six to seven for his evening games, and them collapse and crash on a big sleeping surface. It works for him and his family.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1604 Dinette Done 2 (Small).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	336309   Click image for larger version

Name:	1604 Dinette Done Bed (Small).jpg
Views:	345
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	336310  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggant View Post
I like that. I'm thinking of same thing -- put table on a collapsible pedestal rather than existing swinging wall mount, then have the ability to sit on the sides or front (tongue end).

How are you managing weight, or do you think you're keeping things about the same?

Doug

Doug. We are weighing everything. Being this is in the rear of the trailer. So far it’s not a lot. The swing table was solid hickory we are installing a much smaller table to help with weight.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
SANTA BARBARA , California
I'm in the process of doing the same thing in my '76 Argosy. The dinette is not original and the previous owner didn't build it to convert to a bed. The existing table legs don't collapse, so I was going to order a shorter set for when I'd use it as a bed. Unfortunately, these Sequoia II legs aren't available anymore so I have to come up with another afordable idea.

What I'm thinking now is using the 4 wooden short table legs when I use this are a bed. Also, if I ever needed to, this shorter table could be used outside for picnics.

Bummer is, I still have to make the cushion to go on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5193.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	346934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5194.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	346935  

SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
I installed a new dinette table in my 75 AS. I used a single telescoping center rod for stability. however on my cabinets I had one drawer on the longer bench seat open into the center hall and the back of that seating area accessible by the bench on hinges opening upward. The other side the drawer opens into the entry way.[we put shoes in that one].And the back part of that bench also opens upward on hinges. I had the total distance across the entire span divided by 4. That was my width of each cushion. Each cushion is 4 inches thick. So when the table goes down the back cushions are put on the lowered table top to make a bed. I had custom cushions made $900, the upholstery guy asked us questions about the soft/hardness desired in the foam also did we want top and bottom bead put on {of coarse} and he also put air holes in the bottom of all the cushions. {So when you sit down, the area next to you doesn't raise up} It's to hard to get photos on this website. If your interested in seeing my finished product you would have to send me your e-mail and I will send you them. Happy trails.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote