Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
how to remove bed "wall pads"?

hi all,
how do the "wall pads" release from the wall's surface???
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

If the one that functions as a headboard has a couple of large decorative buttons along the center-line, prise off the glued-on buttons to reveal a long screw under each one. Remove the screws and the panel will come away.
Nick.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
The bed bumper in my 78 rear bed also screwed to the wall in several places. I took it off, padded it, recovered it and re-attached it. Helps make the bed more comfortable for two because you're not bumping into the wall.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
cass , Texas
Ours were just screwed in. I removed it and my wife recovered it. I am using new screw with a decorative washer, similar to the old mirror mounts.
krazeekalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Someone have the time to post a picture of the wall pad you are referring to ? I have been thinking of making something along those lines for the Bambi, kind of like the pad that goes around a child's playpen or bassenet.

Does it just function as a headboard or follow the contour of the trailer wall head to foot ?

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
... I took it off, padded it, recovered it and re-attached it...
Judy,

How did you reattach it? I planned to reattach mine with screws like Airstream did, but could not figure out how to keep the screw from bunching up and/or unthreading the fabric while being reinstalled.

I ended up Velcro-ing the panels in place. This has not proven to be a good solution.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Tom, I used a small center punch to open the hole back up, and re-used the original mounting screws to put it back on th wall.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Tom-

You can put a small piece of a drinking straw around the screw to keep it from bunching the material. As you screw tighter the straw will compress giving you a tight fit without catching on the cloth.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI
Someone have the time to post a picture of the wall pad you are referring to ? I have been thinking of making something along those lines for the Bambi, kind of like the pad that goes around a child's playpen or bassenet.

Does it just function as a headboard or follow the contour of the trailer wall head to foot ?
No photo, but the "pads" in our trailer are masonite panels, about 18" high and the length of each twin bed. We actually installed new panels (my wife found the masonite at Home Depot, had it cut, and applied new fabric). The panels make the beds warmer, because your body is not up against the cold aluminum "fuselage".
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
The panels make the beds warmer, because your body is not up against the cold aluminum "fuselage".
Yes Sir Albert ! That's where I was headed with this, a little insulation between my doopah and the wall ! Sleeping solo isn't bad, I can position myself with lot's of room all around, but when I have to share, things get tight & I like my space !

I'd still be interested in seeing what others have done so I can get a couple ideas.......

T & K

Old 02-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
how to remove bed "wall pads"?

Greetings B4WED1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI

The original wall comfort panels in my '64 Overlander International were attached with a combination of snaps, screws, and rivets. The replacements are attached with grommetted upholstery screws (like those utilized in 1960s automobiles). The two photos below are of the new pads as installed by Fowler Interiors about five years ago.

The wall comfort panels (both originals and the new ones) run from the base of the bed to approximately 3" below the windows.

The mattresses in my coach are approximately twice as thick as the originals so much more of the comfort panel is covered by the comfort panel than would have been with the original bedding. The comfort panels extend about 18" above the surface of the mattress -- it has been sufficient for all of my excursions including some late Fall camping into November.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
First, my apologies to Mr. C. Tuna. It was not my intent to hijack your thread, maybe some pix will be of interest to you too ?

Next, Thank you Kevin for your pix. Very nice addition to your home. Functional with a little pizzazz......

P.S. Charlie Tuna........ You've picked a great place to call home ! Few places on the east coast are as beautiful as Itchetucknee. We are headed over that way beginning of March.

T & K

Old 02-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Padded headboards are a testimony to the Airstream environment!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote