Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
How the '50s and '60s wood cabinets are built

Does anyone have pictures of how the 50's and 60’s wood cabinets are built. I would like to see how the joinery is for the “boxes” and overall construction. Any peek into them would help. Any description/explanation would be great.

I have seen some really nice newly built wood cabinets by talented woodworkers on the forum. My only concern is they seem like conventional residential construction and seems like they would be quite heavy. I don't know if it is so.

Also how are they attached to the walls?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tony S

Old 03-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I've been refinishing the cabinetry in my '62 Tradewind. They're just basic frame type cabinets that are screwed to the walls. Definitely not fine woodworking, but are clearly designed to be lightweight. Drawers are stapled together at the corners, as I recall they're rabbited and glued as well. I think the drawer bottoms are floating in dado's. I'll have to look tonight to verify that. They're largely oak veneered plywood on the visible sides; just standard plywood where things don't show. There really isn't any real joinery anywhere to be found.

They're mostly just screwed to the walls with panhead screws. Some pieces are attached with alluminum "brackets" riveted to the walls

If there is anything specific you'd like to see, I can take pictures tonight.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Site Team

, Minnesota
Generally as Thalweg states. 1"×2" pine framing, stapled together. Panels are mahogany or birch veneer (or oak, depending on vintage) plywood, 3/16" thick. Doors and drawer fronts are 3/8" thick veneer plywood. Panhead screws to mount to aluminum walls or floor. 1959 Tradewind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 003.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	182051  
Old 03-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Having owned one of each ('56 Safari & '64 Globetrotter) I can tell you they are each built very differently even though they were built only 8 years apart. The 50's were more solid birch wood face frames and boxes and the 60's were more light weight ply and even some plastic "bins" instead of drawers.

I have some detailed pics in my "It's a Girl!!!" thread (lots of cabint pics starting around post #308 & #376) of our '56 and on my old website for the '64 Globetrotter. You can also check out the Photo Archives for lots of cabinet pics - although not many close-ups.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks Thalweg for your reply.

You have a nice trailer size and vintage. Do you know about the Vintage Airstream photo archives site?

One thing I noticed in the pic is the plywood grain was matched well, in many cases.

1962 Tradewind 24' - Vintage Airstream

If you were willing I would love to see some picture of how the upper cabinets are built and attached to walls.

Any shots you could take of the bed construction. If you had a dinette, the construction of it. I don’t want to put you to work but if you have the time it would be great. Just the basics I can fill in the gaps.

One other question I have is if you have sliding doors on the upper, what keeps them from sliding back and forth in the track as you go up and down the road?

What I am strongly considering doing is changing out my plastic interior with wood interior. I am amazed at how well it has stayed together. My interior is nice but it isn’t wood.

Anyway thank you very much for your efforts. I know woodworking generally and if I can return the favor by answering any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks markdoane that is what I needed to know. I figured the pine framing. I will kreg screw joint mine. The material is thinner than I thought, by a little bit.

Inside Out your thread has been book marked for a long time. I have admired your work. The cabinets are great along with the rest.

I have a saved the same hinges you have used, some old Amerock stock. See Picture. How are they holding up?

There was a little play in my hinges and I didn't know if it would be a problem.

Thanks all
Tony S
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5457.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	182056  
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Maybe this will help

Some pics from this week
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dissassembly bed.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	182070   Click image for larger version

Name:	dissassmbly counter areas.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	182071  

Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Go to the link below and you'll see how I did my sisters vanity by stripping off the old wood and replacing it with new.

The Midllife Crisis - 1960 Airstream Restoration: How Reinergirl saved my bathroom vanity

Is that cabinet an example of your skills? Really nice!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Tony,

I loaded photos of the cabinets on my Photobucket page (link below). I've been on the Vintage Airstream site many times. It's a good resource. That is a nice trailer you linked to. In my photos you'll see that most of my cabinets aren't attached. I sanded them down last fall to get ready to shoot lacquer on them, but didn't get it done before it got cold. So I've been waiting for spring to finish them. Getting close. They're just sitting in the trailer so they didn't clutter up the shop over the winter.

As a woodworker, you can make much higher quality cabinets than the stock ones. I initially intended on doing that as well, but my cabinets were in pretty good shape and just needed refinishing. It didn't make sense to start from scratch. I loaded pictures of the latch for the upper sliding doors (a little blurry). They're a hook in a little block of wood that rotates into an eye-screw to latch... pretty cheesy. I was wrong about the drawer boxes. The fronts are put together with lock joints. So there is a little joinery. Let me know if I can help further.

Airstream Photos by bsobotka | Photobucket
Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thank you all

The combination of replies gives me a good idea of what they did. Ironically in addition there is some upper cabinets for sale on the classifieds from a 1964.

Reinergirl good job good use of energy. I think you got it. I did the mixing of different Minwax to get the color I wanted on my quarter sawn oak kitchen cabinets.

Thalweg, thanks again for posting the pic in photo bucket. The uppers look like they have a little weight to them. Same with the draws with that wide runner.

One follow up question. I take the ends of the cabinets are screwed into the bulkheads and at the back or in the back at the bottom they go into a metal trim piece, my question is in front at the top do they screw into the aluminum any old place or are they hitting the rips only or something else.

many thanks

Tony
Old 03-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
Hey Tony, on our '68 Overlander they used a small piece of bulkhead trim riveted to the ceiling and then the middle divider was riveted to that... no screws in the ceiling.
like this: http://overeasy68.shutterfly.com/pictures/20#19
Pat
Old 03-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Thalweg nice job on your interior rebuild. Did you use marmoleum on the floor? I see you put down ply over the subfloor? I've used your paper template system to put flooring in several of our trailers. Easy way to go.

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Thanks Bob. Yes I did use Marmoleum, and I did put a 1/4-inch plywood underlayment on the floor. I did that because I couldn't get all the old asphalt adhesive off of the original floor. The Marmoleum adhesive said bad things would happen if I put the new adhesive on the asphalt. There was a special sealer available that I could have used but it was crazy expensive. The plywood was the next best solution that I could find.

Tony, there are a couple of aluminum tabs riveted to the wall that the center divider on the upper cabinets rivet to. The tabs are just bent sheet aluminum, and I'm not sure, but I don't think they are on a rib. Other than that, they're only attached at to the closets at the sides, and screws into wall on the bottom. No, they aren't what I'd consider stout cabinets. I don't think I'll be too comfortable putting a lot of weight in them.

Brent
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Pat, your Overland pictures showed a lot thanks. You have a project on your hands, who doesn't?

Brent, that is what I thought basically when they went to plastics they basically used most of the same construction techniques. Maybe adding some more metal connectors.

What is amazing about the cabinets both the wood and the subsequent plastic is it is hard to believe how well they have held up and built as basic as they are. I do understand the weight issue and all. I have a tendency to over build in normal life. I guess I always figure if something goes wrong building stout might get me by, sort of an insurance policy.

Thanks

Tony
Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Well, I thought I would post a few pictures of my first cabinet. It is the galley base cabinet. I am pleased at how it came out so far. I am going to have to take a break from the trailer, but I will be back to it. It hurts to stop after 8 months of getting it to this stage.

Pat, if you see this, do you have a new link to your pics of the cabinets you provided earlier, the old link to the pictures that I found very helpful is gone.

If anyone else has pictures of how the upper 1960 sliding door, upper cabinets are built that would be great. Would love to see close up of the tracks and any
locking system that hold doors in place while traveling.

Thanks

Tony S
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2133.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	195071   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2136.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	195072