Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks Brent. The wood was bought as ribbon Sapale. The ply ( side of cabinet) was pre finished mahogany. I sanded it heavy and then applied 3 or 4 coats of Captains 1015 spar varnish. It is used for bright work on boats.

I will post pics of what I did with the solid stock. I explained it somewhere else, but basically I took some exceptional straight ribbon Sapale and cut thick veneer. ( I actually should of gone a lttle thinner) Then I face glued it to some other ribbon mahogany that wasn't quite so pretty. I stuck with the same type of wood as the substrate so the movement would be about the same. I used titebond 3 which is water proof but mainly it is flexible when cured that I was after. By the way, this is good for many things in wood working, but not every glue up need. For instance, perhaps, not good for bent lamination if spring back is a concern. You need a lot of strong clamps and cauls when face glueing.

I applied the Varnish with a Jen brush. The finish is far from perfect, but I can live with it without shame.

I have hear good things about Le Tonkinois tung oil/linseed oil varnish. Never could find it. Calais66 your cabinet looks good. Thanks for the link

Anyway I will round up the pics of the glue up.

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Hi Folks,

Here are some pictures of the face glue up (Skinning I guess). It is a lot of work and time and I tried to talk myself out of it and was unsuccessful. I am glad I did it now that it is over. I like the results.

I figured, I guess, after all the demo, prepping, painting of the frame with POR15 , new epoxied floor, new black and grey tanks, belly pan and all the rest that I did to the best of my ability and with the help of a friend that knew more than me and all the folks here on the board and then the VAP it would be crazy to just cover it up with a ho hum interior. Yet, again I know it is a trailer and not a piano and I do want to use it. I almost hate to admit I have been at it full time for 8 months. It is tough to miss a whole season. My wife and I learned what a staycation is.

Anyway I hope the pics help someone even if they use it for a project other than the trailer.

By the way the first picture is the 1/8" (give or take) veneer and the solid stock it is going on.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3441.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	195226   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3423.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	195227  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3433.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	195228   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3443.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	195230  

Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Nice work!
That's a large collections of clamps you got going on there.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote