Old 09-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
That looks sweet! I like the gloss.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Good to get a comment from you Lance. I hope all is well with you and your business. Hey folks, if you need some work done around Texas you might want to get in touch with Lance Top's Texas Vintage Campers, Recreational Vehicles, Nolanville, TX 76559 - index. His work has been an inspiration and a guide along the way.

I don't usually go high gloss, not usually my thing and almost everyone said don't do it including my wife. In my wife's case she was worried about finger prints. She is also worried about it getting so nice we will have to worry about having fun and just using the trailer. I don't want that either. That will be my excuse for not applying more coat. When it comes to brushing varnish I am only as good as I am anyway. Like I said before I want it nice but it ain't no piano.

Tony

Old 09-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Thanks Tony, for the kind words.

I think you'll be really close to a piano when you are done.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Tony,

Looks very nice. I'm having trouble identifying the wood. It almost looks like butternut, maybe an exotic, or maybe stained clear yellow pine. Is it solid or a veneer?

What is the finish, poly, lacquer, shellac,...? How did you apply it? It looks like a French Polish. If you did that, you're a much more patient man than me.

Brent
Old 09-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
I plan on using Le Tonkinois tung oil/linseed oil varnish in the restoration of the cabinetry (and to seal the new sub-floor) in my '51 FC. My past experience is with wooden boats and this stuff is FANTASTIC. Easy to apply, 100% all natural (no chemical driers) and most of all it gives beautiful a deep finish. Since it's all natural, it's more flexible than other spar varnishes, even the expensive ones like Epifanis, so it won't crack or spider when I'm bumping down the road! I get mine from American Rope and Tar - Welcome to American Rope & Tar.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Here it is on a household cabinet I refinished:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2462502321.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	564.4 KB
ID:	195209  
Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks Brent. The wood was bought as ribbon Sapale. The ply ( side of cabinet) was pre finished mahogany. I sanded it heavy and then applied 3 or 4 coats of Captains 1015 spar varnish. It is used for bright work on boats.

I will post pics of what I did with the solid stock. I explained it somewhere else, but basically I took some exceptional straight ribbon Sapale and cut thick veneer. ( I actually should of gone a lttle thinner) Then I face glued it to some other ribbon mahogany that wasn't quite so pretty. I stuck with the same type of wood as the substrate so the movement would be about the same. I used titebond 3 which is water proof but mainly it is flexible when cured that I was after. By the way, this is good for many things in wood working, but not every glue up need. For instance, perhaps, not good for bent lamination if spring back is a concern. You need a lot of strong clamps and cauls when face glueing.

I applied the Varnish with a Jen brush. The finish is far from perfect, but I can live with it without shame.

I have hear good things about Le Tonkinois tung oil/linseed oil varnish. Never could find it. Calais66 your cabinet looks good. Thanks for the link

Anyway I will round up the pics of the glue up.

Tony
Old 09-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Hi Folks,

Here are some pictures of the face glue up (Skinning I guess). It is a lot of work and time and I tried to talk myself out of it and was unsuccessful. I am glad I did it now that it is over. I like the results.

I figured, I guess, after all the demo, prepping, painting of the frame with POR15 , new epoxied floor, new black and grey tanks, belly pan and all the rest that I did to the best of my ability and with the help of a friend that knew more than me and all the folks here on the board and then the VAP it would be crazy to just cover it up with a ho hum interior. Yet, again I know it is a trailer and not a piano and I do want to use it. I almost hate to admit I have been at it full time for 8 months. It is tough to miss a whole season. My wife and I learned what a staycation is.

Anyway I hope the pics help someone even if they use it for a project other than the trailer.

By the way the first picture is the 1/8" (give or take) veneer and the solid stock it is going on.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3441.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	195226   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3423.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	195227  

Name:	DSCN3433.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	195228   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3443.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	195230  

Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Nice work!
That's a large collections of clamps you got going on there.
Mike