Old 09-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
How Did You Add Storage in Your Galley Cabinet?

If you have the galley with the round sink, introduced 2005 or 2006 (?), you may have unutilized storage space. I’m hoping some of you have made this space useable and can share brilliant tweaks. Please point me in the right direction if this topic has been discussed before—but I couldn’t find anything using search.

This is the galley I’m talking about.

If you pull the drawers out and stick your head in you can see the biggest space, which is behind the waste basket partition. This space, in my unit (2009 FC 25’ FB), could also be accessed from the magazine rack. It is about 21” wide and 23” deep, although only 9” deep where the wheel well sticks up.

Unexploited spaces are:

1) Behind the propane leak detector.
2) Below the existing deep shelf and behind the waste basket partition.
3) Behind the three drawers but in front of the aluminum skin.
4) Below and around the cut out for the waste basket.
5) Between the under-oven compartment and wheel well.

Anybody use these spaces? Anybody make modifications to their cabinet? And if you did, were you happy with the results?

Some more photos:

Drawers removed—empty space behind propane leak detector below bottom drawer.

Waste Basket Cut Out.

Sink shelf depth 34”—hard to reach the back of it as is.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
My wife and I bought a 2013 flying cloud rear queen model some months ago. After looking at a lot of airstreams new and old we came to the definite conclusion after we had bought ours that the first 10 minutes of looking around gives you that wow factor your eyes long to see but several months later you're seeing all these areas that should be used and could be used? I came to the conclusion that our trailer among others was one of the worst for utilizing space for storage. My wife and I have taken up the general idea that if we want storage we're going to have to make it ourselves.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
How Did You Add Storage in Your Galley Cabinet?

I just hate the idea of having to hire professional contractors to come in and do what I think airstream should've done in the first place.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
How much more storage do you need? For what? How much will the added storage area and the items weight? Know this before you start. The trailer was only designed for so much weight I would be careful not to exceed the design parameters. adding weight up high can also effect the handling and weight distribution.

I will say shelving in the current cabinets can also increase the carrying capacities of the current storage.

Best of luck. I personally like the limited space, makes us prioritize what we take with us.

Joe D
Old 04-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I use odd shaped spaces for the storage of soft things, such as paper products, also items placed into ziplock bags....squishable, is the key.

Round, lightweight, stacking containers from the Container Store are under my round sink area, with flour, oats, etc., in them. They come in various sizes, allowing me to utilize most of it.

Personally, I wouldn't go to the expense of having a contractor make you something...adapt your storage to the provided spaces.

Maggie
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #6
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I use odd shaped spaces for the storage of soft things, such as paper products, also items placed into ziplock bags....squishable, is the key.

Round, lightweight, stacking containers from the Container Store are under my round sink area, with flour, oats, etc., in them. They come in various sizes, allowing me to utilize most of it.

Personally, I wouldn't go to the expense of having a contractor make you something...adapt your storage to the provided spaces.

Maggie

I think for us, it's really a matter of whether or not you call your airstream your "home" or "camp trailer" . These guys were never intended to be your only residence. That's where you ask yourself, "where on earth do I put this crock pot?"

Take that beautiful kitchen at home with the island the size of your AS galley...... you get the idea, contractor anyone? :-)

Personally, we're trying to do both... light, functional home that moves. Crock pot? In a storage unit until needed.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We/I travel in the Interstate up to 4 months at a time, so being the chief cook I wanted with me everything that seemed necessities...like a crockpot.

I stored mine in the back of a cabinet, under one of the rear benches...easily accessible, but not in a prominent position as something used every day.

I recently left that at a Goodwill donation center, replacing it and a hot plate with an Instant Pot....serving many functions, one item, one space utilization.

My Interstate kitchen is not quite as well equipped as the one at home, but it is close, and I can and have cooked just about everything in it.

It depends on what you you want, and feel like you need.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your decisions and outcome.

Maggie
Old 04-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We were quite surprised not to find Airstream curve specific storage containers.

It's a business opportunity hanging out there with no one willing to fill the need. Why would that be?

The use of all available space with special consideration given to minimizing polar moment and keeping the center of gravity low is worth the effort. Minimizing what you take in the coach is likely less expensive and much easier. Give it a thought. An AS is an RV. So focus on the smiles and the recreation.

And if you find those curved containers, let us all in on the source. Pat
Old 05-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
Mike & Kristin Ryan Photo

2017 27' International
Pocatello , Idaho
We are in the same quandary, maximizing space but also re-prioritizing our "must-take" list!
I did find some lazy susan quarter rounds that are a nice fit for the shelf under the sink and against the plumbing for tidying up my cleaning supplies!