Old 04-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Help and advice needed, bathroom cabinet.

This all started as a plumbing problem! Leaking pressure relief valve. Then after ordering TWO new relief valves, I discovered that my main water regulator was the real culprit, DUH....it was not regulating the city pressure at 65 lbs and that was making my pressure relief valve open at 60 lbs and drip. drip, drip!! Double DUH!

Important useful info: 76 Sovereign Intl. 31 ft., rear bath.

The main Regulator and pressure relief valve are located in the far right rear streetside corner! A tight space and nearly impossible to reach from the rear access door.....Then....I also discovered that there is a badly rotted wet patch of floor in that corner, as well!! There is an obvious inside or outside water leak....I'll figure that one out. So, I got to get at it from inside the trailer in order to make an effective repair on the Regulator, relief valve and the floor (I'm thinking ROT Doctor).

Now to the purpose of this thread......I need to dismantle the lower part of the sink cabinet, that part that is below the electrical breaker box. And.....I want to do it in a way that will allow me to reassemble it so it looks good. I will also remove the commode just to have room to work (UGH). My bathroom is carpeted, including up the wall on the sink cabinet.

So, how do I do this without doing serious damage that will show when I reassemble the cabinet? Everything plastic is old and brittle. Can I still buy the plastic strip that covers the rivets in the aluminum extrusion?

Thanks, Bill

Old 04-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We had a 'high pressure' pop off valve that went bad in this one...it is at the rear when you open the compartment...it will be a 54 dollar replacement. But when you talk about tight spaces you ain't kiddin!--almost have to ball up in a fetus position sideways on the floor to get to things.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Help!

Sorry, got to keep this thread alive!

Where are all those who have disassembled cabinets, etc for a total strip-down and a rebuild?

Give me your tips on how to do it with minimum destruction!

Don't let that experience and knowledge go to waste. Bill
Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Madison , Mississippi
I don't know about a '76, but in my '78 the aluminum trim with plastic insert in the sink/ counter cabinet hide rivets. The bottom aluminum channel is screwed to the floor. Most of the bottom channel screws can be reached through the rear access door. Pull the plastic out, drill out the rivets. There was a lot of silicon caulk that needed to be "slit" with a razor knife
Old 04-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #5
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdwell57 View Post
I don't know about a '76, but in my '78 the aluminum trim with plastic insert in the sink/ counter cabinet hide rivets. The bottom aluminum channel is screwed to the floor. Most of the bottom channel screws can be reached through the rear access door. Pull the plastic out, drill out the rivets. There was a lot of silicon caulk that needed to be "slit" with a razor knife
Thank you, Birdwell.....just the kind of advice I need. I believe that the plastic insert in the aluminum trim that hides the rivets is very stiff and brittle and will break when I try to removed it. I tried to remove some similar plastic when I removed my furnace for cleaning and it broke. Luckily, I was able to get one end of the kitchen cabinet trim loose, pull it away from the wall and slide the plastic straight out. I saved most of it. Can this stuff be purchased somewhere? ....or a suitable matching substitute? Would heating the plastic insert with a hair dryer make it more pliable? ......or perhaps it would shrink it!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Madison , Mississippi
Another month, more or less, I'll be looking at re-installing my bathroom. Check out this thread, look at post 20.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...e-50923-1.html