Old 02-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Head Spinning from Varnish/Polyurethane Research

Hey folks! I'm in the process of rebuilding my 70's plastic interior with wood... birch. Wondering if y'all can point me in the right direction on finishing/sealing it. My plan is just to just something like a varnish or polyurethane without staining it. A few questions...

What type of sheen is most appropriate for an Airstream? Matte, satin, semi-gloss, gloss? Are gloss finishes better for water resistance? The first part of the project is the bathroom and around the shower so that is definitely on my mind.

I think that I've read you can use a gloss for base coats and that a satin, flat, or rubbed effect etc on the last coat or two is all that really matters for the final finish. Is this correct? If so, it sounds great to be able to see how it looks that way and then decide at the end if I want to lay satin or matte over it. Just need to know if I'm on the right track with this.

I'm tempted to go with a product made for marine applications such as something from West Marine. I've read that Epifanes is quite popular.

Drying time is important since I'm going to be doing this on the road (likely at the Texas Airstream Harbor where I am now).

Would something like Epifanes Rapid Clear be good? No sanding between coats, can apply coats 5-6 hours apart...
https://epifanes.com/na/store/varnis...es/rapidclear/

Thanks for any and all advice! I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
In reading on boat forums, it sounds like Epifanes Rapidclear is thin and best suited for base coats. Then, people talk about switching to regular Epifanes varnish or their Woodfinish product. From the Epifanes website, it sounds like that would be used for heavy build coats (in a gloss) and then if you want a matte or rubbed effect, you add that on last.

They also have "Aqua Marine Varnish" described as "a quick-drying, clear, one component interior satin finish based on a polyurethane/acrylic dispersion dissolved in water. This finish gives a rich, sublime, hand rubbed finish with good resistance to alcohol and household chemicals. Preferred on interior work." (this also looks like the most expensive of the stuff they sell.)

Hmmm.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I believe the idea of going with gloss first is that the "flatners" in semi-gloss and satin will obscure the grain or make it cloudy on the way down to seeing the word.

I have only use Captan's by Z spar I believe. I was going to do what you are speaking off with my 1973 Tradewind. I had gotten some ideas from looking at sailboat interior.

You maybe well advised to just play with finishes on a bunch of sample boards.

Label them with the how and what you did to each one. Could do a log with a letter system on the boards.

I would include Experimenting with Shellac as a first coat both clear and amber. Amber will give you an aged look on the birch like the 50's interiors

Zinner brand Shellac is everywhere and is fine for what you are doing. Some woodworker are all into mixing their own flakes with alcohol etc.

You can dilute the pre made stuff if you like.

Good Luck

Tony
Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
You got a 70 model right? I used Spar Marine Varnish from Ace Hardware (high Gloss) ..., But that was only for the wood in this one. But it does great - hard as all get out. And takes about a day to dry good depending on humidity. The inner plastic shell (I think) should only be cleaned up real good and left as is. Also the shell framing in the window over the sink can be brittle so watch out for that. What exact 70 model do you have and do you have pictures. My profile says I am in Kansas - but we are in Altus Ok. right now. I would love to see the Airstream Harbor where your at.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm just finishing up my cabinets in my Bambi II. I used Heavy Duty Varathane in a satin finish first & Miniwax polyurathane wipe-on satin. I cut the varathane with mineral spirits so it could be applied with a rag, thus, no drips. I've used Epifanes for a screen house outside. If you don't have the wood completely enveloped (all sides), water will get in & lift the finish off (don't ask me how I know!). For my cabinets, I put the finish in plastic bottles (like water bottles) so I didn't have to have the mess of a can. I used a cotton rag from a t-shirt saturated with finish. I used blue gloves from Harbor Freight & when I was finished with the coat for the day, I held the rag in a ball in my hand & pulled the glove inside out around the rag & tied it in a knot. Then I threw it in the freezer for then next time I would use it. It made it really easy & kept the mess WAY down. Of course, I had to sand between coats & tack. But if you don't do that, you'll have a crappy finish. I used maple for my wood. Here's a picture of some of the cabinets finished:Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0308.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	179246

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0113.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	179247

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I'm just finishing up my cabinets in my Bambi II. ... If you don't have the wood completely enveloped (all sides), water will get in & lift the finish off (don't ask me how I know!).
Your cabinets look great! Now, on covering the wood... Am I in trouble if I just get almost all the surfaces covered instead of absolutely all surfaces? I covered the back of most I have put in so far with spar urethane but didn't cover absolutely every part and some sides. I'd say they are 90% covered. Do I need to take apart some of sections to cover areas, such as where two pieces are joined flush together?
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Here are some pictures of what I am working on...

Name:	image-2770694208.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	505.3 KB
ID:	179249

Name:	image-4255657945.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	179250
WBCCI #1711
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Tony S - I have seen the z spar at west marine. I will look at that a bit more closely and I have also seen others talk abut shelllac but I don't know much about it. I'll check it out. Epifanes has a product in their system that has some tint to it so maybe that can be another option. I think you have a good idea about testing various combinations of products.
WBCCI #1711
Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Have you considered just using a quality oil wood stain/conditioner like Livos...or others? It sure makes the wood look better and is healthier for you too.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
So, is there a more appropriate sheen than others? (Gloss, semi, satin, etc?) What finish was Airstream using on wood in the 50s and 60s?
WBCCI #1711
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Have you considered just using a quality oil wood stain/conditioner like Livos...or others? It sure makes the wood look better and is healthier for you too.
Do things like that have good water repellant characteristics? I don't know much about any of this and have been looking at the varnishes and urethanes as they seem to be popular based on availability. But maybe I just have tunnel vision at this point since I have just started to understand those options.
WBCCI #1711
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You should be fine. I just had issues with epifanes. I've used spar urethane outdoors & never had it lift off like epifanes. The reason I didn't use gloss is because it shows imperfections in your finish a lot more than satin does. If you're good & like gloss, it's just a matter of taste! Your shower looks fabulous!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Thanks! Here is the outside wall toward the rear bedroom (and that's my dad there to the side who fortunately has the patience to get the details right that I don't)

Name:	image-2826249258.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	534.4 KB
ID:	179254
WBCCI #1711
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I'm no expert, but we've done a lot of new birch on our interior. Due to availability issues and me sometimes just grabbing the wrong can, we actually ended up with a variety of finishes on the inside. So, from a beginner's perspective, here's what I've gleaned:

Varnish vs. urethane - from my research, I understand that true varnish penetrates the wood better than urethanes, so it is good as a first coat. It also takes 24 hours to dry, vs. 4 for urethanes. This slows down progress and also leaves the finish vulnerable for airborne impurities longer. True varnish can be spot touched up at any time since it dissolves into the varnish layer below. It does need to be sanded if urethane is going on top of it.

Brush vs. rag - I'm going to borrow Becky's rag and glove technique for touch ups on wood already installed on our walls. Meanwhile, I prefer a brush. Although I don't get quite as perfect a finish, it works for my setup. I actually like the cheap Chinese brushes since they are more flexible, don't hold as much varathane in each dip and are easier to get completely clean. BUT they shed hairs to an unforgiveable level, so I use a nice, high quality natural bristle brush and only dip the tip in abou 1/4" each time.

Gloss, semi-gloss and satin - Gloss shows every wonderful detail of the grain. It also shows every imperfect brush stroke, every drip (who, me, drip?), and every speck of anything that lands on the surface. It also reflects light with a glare that hides the wood at the glare spot. Semi-gloss is better with the glare, but still fairly unforgiving about the imperfections. I have come to prefer satin as, for my abilities, it gives the best looking finish and still shows off the depth and grain of the wood. I have not had any issues of apparent "clouding" of the grain. Satin and semi-gloss need to be stirred often while working. The dulling agents are suspended in the finish and if they aren't kept stirred in, the less stirred parts of the work will be glossier than others and the end of the can will be much duller than the beginning.

My current finishing regimen is to sand with 220 and wipe with a tack cloth. I use Helmsman indoor/outdoor spar urethane oil based satin clear and a natural bristle brush. Before each subsequent coat, I sand again and then wipe with a paper towel dampened with mineral spirits. I put at least three coats on the surfaces that show, sometimes two on the inside of a cupboard or closet and sometimes just one if it's not going to be exposed at all. I try to get all the edges but I'm not compulsive about it. Airstream didn't even bother putting a finish on the exposed pressboard on some of their closet interiors. To clean the brush, I wipe any excess finish off with a paper towel. I fold a new paper towel in quarters and hold it in my hand with the brush on top and gently dribble mineral spirits on both sides until the brush is saturated but not dripping. Then I work the mineral spirits into the brush hairs and get as much finish out as possible. I use a dry paper towel to remove as much remaining finish and spirits as possible. It may not be conventional, but it's close to what my dad taught me about cleaning up after oil painting to get all the colors out of each brush. So far, the brush still feels as flexible as when new, and that's what counts.

I wish you luck. Finishing is a bit of a daunting process to face, but you'll learn as you go along.