Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
If someone is looking that hard at my finishes, I'll kick them out of the trailer!

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Best product to use ,General Finishes Arm R Seal, mixture of tung oil and urethane

Ramble On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
All of the above info is good, or most of it. I'm not about to disparage anyone who has experienced success with a particular product or technique.
I built and varnished about a million sq ft of boats for 12 yrs. Then opened a cabinet shop which has evolved into an Architectual Millwork business. Anyone can build a cabinet, a door, or molding, it's the quality of the finish that sets the exemplary apart from the so-so. We used to say a good finisher could make a mediocre carpenter look great.
First thing is to buy the best (usually most expensive) natural bristle brush available. Can't recommend any as we've been spraying for 20 yrs.
Any of the varnishes mentioned above are good but one not mentioned was sold under the Ben Moore brand. It didn't have a uv filter.
I would skip the shellac as a primer or undercoat and go with a vinyl sealer. This is a very quick drying product that is a great filler and will lend some water-resistance. Don't use a good brush, it will require lacquer thinner as a solvent unless you throw the brushes away. Personally I don't do well with polys, one of my finishers does wonderfully with it though. I'd use a high gloss natural varnish, much harder without the fillers needed to dull it, then a satin, 60 to 80 sheen, for the finish coat.
The vinyl requires about a half hour to sand and the varnishes about 24 hrs.
Good luck.
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master
1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
I have been a professional furniture finisher/restorer for fifty years and all I can say is that you can get excellent results with any number of finishes and methods. Remember you are doing cabinets, not a boat ;so don't get hung up on the idea that because something is "marine" it will be the ultimate finish. I do not use any poly products in my work as I don't like a number of their qualities and they are hard to repair if the finish is damaged in the future. My suggestion is to buy a variety of materials in small amounts and experiment with them see what you like and what gives you the best result. No matter what you use some key points are - it has to be clean and properly sanded to start, sand between coats , keep things as dust free as possible , take your time. Good luck!

63air is offline   Reply With Quote