Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Charlotte , North Carolina
glass tiles????????

Curious if anyone has ever used those 1x1 glass tiles in the kitchen. If you did, any problems with cracking or falling off the wall. Just wonder if it is possible to do and what adhesive anyone used, would you caulk the grout lines rather that traditional grout.
82 34Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The closest I have done is ceramic tile in the bath of a couple of RV's. I glued it down with Liquid Nails and used silicone based grout. My current project includes some tile on a short wall - we will see how that works.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
I've installed them as a backsplash in a house but never in a trailer. When your setting glass tiles you use a flexible white thin-set and sanded grout. You need to skim-coat the wall with thin-set so it's completely covered or you'll be able to see the wall through the glass tile (unless it's opaque glass). I don't think I would try sticking it to either aluminum or vinyl walls, it would probably fall off.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
I want to do the same thing, My plan is to take the tile off the backing and glue on very close together (no grout lines) and use a white adhesive caulk. I'm only doing a 3" back splash so keeping my fingers crossed

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 34Limited View Post
Curious if anyone has ever used those 1x1 glass tiles in the kitchen. If you did, any problems with cracking or falling off the wall. Just wonder if it is possible to do and what adhesive anyone used, would you caulk the grout lines rather that traditional grout.
I finished my complete kitchen counter make over earlier this year, Replaced the counter top with a "Corian" type solid surface material and a under mount stainless sink. I used a stone and glass tile layout for the back splash that I bought at Lowe's. It came with a mesh backing in about 3" by 8" pieces. I did not mount it directly to the A/S wall. I used a piece of Hardy Board siding cut down to 3" wide that I then screwed to the A/S wall with a 1/8" gap above the counter top. I also put in a small spacer at the bottom of the Hardy strip so that it would sit level with the counter top. I then used regular tile adhesive and sandless grout. I did not put any grout in the 1/8" gap between the tile and the counter top. I also made a record of where the screw are that hold the Hardy to the wall so I could remove the entire back splash by digging out a little group and removeing the screws if need be. I finished the back splash with a strip of Oak trim on top and the ends screwed to the wall with stainless screws and washers to match the other trim in my remodeled kitchen. Since completing this project I have traveled over 6,000 miles and everything is still intact and looking good. The attached pdf doc has pictures of the project from start to finish with the tile back splash starting on picture 17.

Just a note, I have had a lot of people ask me about all that extra weight from the tile and corian counter top. The few tile pieces for the back splash weighed only a few po8nds. The corian counter top with the sink and oven cutout in the long run did not add that much weight over the old plywood and Formica top that I removed. I had also removed my old range / oven a few years ago which also eliminated a lot of weight as well.

Don
1976 31' Sovereign
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream counter top.pdf (3.85 MB, 104 views)
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote