Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Well there you have it, it's a "Travel Lounge"!

Stephen
Old 06-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Goucho - Have the fabric done right the first time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Do you really have a Gaucho in your Airstream?

Gaucho can refer to:
  • Gaucho (Gaúcho in Portuguese, Cowboy in English), a word for a South American cattle herder.
Now depending on your gender and marital status this might be a welcome find, of course I would prefer a Goucha or Cowgirl, but neither was found in my Airstream.
I do keep looking though!

• Gauchos are a style of very flowing and loose fitting, flared pants with an elastic waitband, commonly worm by young dancers, but also worn casually.
Again, a young female dancer would have been a nice find. I bought a used rig and old loose fitting cloths were found during the cleanup of my, but what I found fell more into the category of bloomers.

There was an Ammonia aroma one night, but that turned out to be the Dometic refrigerator failing. I did find some cleaners under the sink like
Ajax and bleach, but thankfully no Gaucho.
  • Gaucho, an album by Steely Dan.
While I like Steely Dan, I'm not familiar with this particular album. It has not turned up in the rig.
Clearly this would be pushing the GVW of my 28 foot Excella.
Just the mention of finding a sports team squatting in your Airstream, would undoubtedly, start the Airstream community on a heated and passionate debate on axel replacement, loading and pre-loading, drum brakes vs disk, beefed up frames, tire pressure, and the 70's.
Of course an astute owner, just by looking at the angle of the torsion suspension, would know that a sports team was lurking in the coach.
Therefore, even if the University of California, Santa Barbara, Gauchos sports team were living in my 28 foot Excella, I'd PM someone first.

GMC Gaucho a mid 70's full-sized van model produced by General Motors
Nope, no 70's full size van was found in or around my rig.
No Portuguese speaking natives of Rio Grande do Sul, popped out of the under bed bins.

No football players fumbled with the wheel chocks.

Renato or Ronaldinho were not found, but a VCR tape of "Nothing but trouble" staring Chevy Chase was discovered wedged between the empty space next to the water heater.
Now, despite my best efforts, a Gaucho has not shown up in my Airstream? What I have found is a sofa that folds out into a bed, but after sleeping on it for one night I did wake up a little Gracho?

Michael

Definitions courtesy of Wikipedia

Michael is a fulltime "Artist at Large" living, working and traveling in his 1995 28 ft. Excella.
Welcome to Camp Stream
Michael:

Nice job on the Goucho research! Good hearing from you, brother. How was your trip down to Mexico after the 4CU Quartzite Rally last November?

I've got your prints up just below the speakers on either side of my Goucho... Pix attached... Anyhow, this is a Goucho discussion; I've attached some before/after snaps of it. I pulled it out and over to a local upholster shop - bought FAA aircraft-approved fire retardant fabric and the dude hooked me up!

Headed to Burning Man this year? - - I'll be missing it until I get back from the sand box; send pictures if you make it there!

Take care,

Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Interior Main Cabin Looking Fwd.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	105239   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Interior Previous Owner - Inside left couch.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	105240  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Wedding Day c.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	105241   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Interior AB and Velcro.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	105242  

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
As events have turned out

Hello, As Events have turned out we still do not have the gaucho repaired. Reason is 1) I am lazily confused.
2) We saw a model with the gaucho out and two comfortable lean back chairs in its place. Wow!
The latter really looked good but what was more important was the comfort which they were.
I appreciate the photos of the excellent looking gaucho above but what is bothersome to us is the age of our Airstream and the costs for the chairs; a new blukhead over the batteries etc. ----to be continued.
Regards
Brian
Brian Hobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 24' Tradewind
Canoga Park , California
Love this do you have a side sofa diagram?
TeamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Davenport; Chesterfield; Couch; Gaucho

Where I come from they called it a "Davenport". I removed all of the above from the Argosy and installed a dinette;
Or is it a breakfast nook?

Davenport; Chesterfield; Couch; Gaucho: I forgot "Sofa"
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
The cushion on our front lounge was a one-piece item that we simply replaced with a much thicker, hinged "futon type" cushion. The tricky part was getting the arms out so the fabric could be replaced with matching fabric. Your's is probably too new to have the damage mine had to the wood frame supporting the arms. This worked just fine for camping but, when we went full-time, we wanted more comfort. I removed the whole thing and replaced it with a dual-reclining love seat. Not only is this sooooo comfortable but, also, it makes getting to the fuse box, battery cover, and converter really easy.
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
ps. & BTW, getting rid of the old lounge was easier than I expected. The almost-new futon mattress went immediately to someone suffering from collapsing cushions. People stood in line to get the front panel with the roll-up doors. The arm support frames went to the kindling pile. The plywood disappeared? The metal frame was the hardest to get rid of but, after a couple of weeks behind the barn, it was totally parted out. Amazing !! Like it never existed.
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
for TeamD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamD View Post
Love this do you have a side sofa diagram?
I think this is what you are looking for. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I thought is was called a sofa bed.

But, has been called a Fifth Avenue Lounge in the 70's.

Or called a Front Lounge in 94 or Sofa in 2008.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 24' Tradewind
Canoga Park , California
Gaucho options

I saw this recently and I am considering converting our front sofa...gaucho... to this family size couch!

And thank you so much for the side bed.. couch... gaucho...diagram!

We just started cleaning up a 1968 Trade Winds and I am so excited! I too will be reseraching upholstery shops. I found some great blogs but still over my head!

Susie
Attached Images

TeamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
1984 31' Sovereign
warwick , Rhode Island
In Regards to the Gaucho design...How does this thing fit together?

Looking at our '78 Argosy 30, the frame is there, the arms are too and the upper filler part is attached to the wall under the window. But the cushion was replaced with a futon, the plywood (luan) is new and seems to make the sleeper lay "side ways" not "length ways". So I guess the question is-Is the bed actually turned side ways to the front in use?

Also-Is there a second piece of luan attached to the back foam? If not, what's supporting the weight and the cushion as a sofa or a bed? (in the 30 ft the water tank is under the aluminum frame.)
And does the curved part of the cushion sit upon the filler when this is set up as a sofa?

A picture of an original underside of the cushions would help clarify i guess. I have no real frame of reference for the actual workings, so I'm confused.
stgerdonly is offline   Reply With Quote