Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2003, 03:08 PM   #21
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Mattress cover

I bought the futon cover from Wal Mart

40 bucks!
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:30 AM   #22
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Ken - your pics and info are a great help!! Couple more ??? How thick is the futon? I'm guessing since we haven't been out pricing or looking yet that they come in different thicknesses for range of comfort. Also is it a standard full size same as a bed?]

About the plastic thingys. It sounds like you removed them for remodel, then put them back? right? As i said earlier, several of ours are broken and need replacement. Do you know where to get them? AS dealer here (not the best) did not seem to have a clue. We did not have one to show him, but did our best to explain. Maybe i could use your pic to e-mail to a different dealer? Price (husband) seems to think there are 2 different kinds of plastic things on ours. 1 is a stopper, the other is a guide. you too? Thanks for your efforts. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:25 AM   #23
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Plastic parts

he is correct that there are two plastic pieces per rail.

The "C" plastic part is removed permanently as part of the retrofit.

The piece that is in the end of the rail does not come off. That piece keeps the slide from extending out of the rail. (rail is bottom piece for this conversation, slide is the top).

The futon mattress is definitely not your average mattess that comes with the 99 dollar futon from Wal mart. The futon is at least 6 to 8 inches thick. It is the same size as a double bed.

As far as resources for parts, probably not much chance, you are not the first one who visited this forum looking for Gaucho parts.

I do not recall what I done with the removed parts or I would send them to you.

Good luck,
Smily
Old 09-23-2003, 01:14 PM   #24
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Thanks Ken. ??? answered, now we have some homework to do. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:12 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Which is best the re-rigged queen instead of twin or redesigned gaucho

Ken, didn't you try both - the queen or full size bed mod instead of rear twins and the gaucho mod. In my Argosy I have been sleeping on the twins - 33"! 4 days a week - Then bough a memory foam full futon for $400. Rigged the gaucho slider with support to try it out - makes a great bed but i don't t hink I can fold this thing without cutting it to two cushions - so now I am thinking of the full memory foam mattress in place of the twins up front. What do you think?
ca_argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:18 AM   #26
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_argonaut
Ken, didn't you try both - the queen or full size bed mod instead of rear twins and the gaucho mod?
I have done both and did not cut any mattresses.
I converted front gaucho in an Overlander as depicted in this thread and I converted rear twins to full size bed in an Excella.

Look here for the twins to full conversion
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=twin+beds

Smily
Old 09-15-2004, 06:03 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up More on twins to full

Thanks Ken, you insipe me. I live in this 28' rear twin Argosy 4 days a week commuting to work in Morgan Hills (250 miles from where I live in Santa Barbara) and have contemplated various options - I bought a 8 inch full Memory foam futon - sleeps great but doesn't fold very well on the gaucho frame - so that's why your twin to full mod is attractive to me. Let me make sure - it sits cross wise head to foot curb to road not lenght-wise like the twins, right? So 76" less 50" give 26" to spare - why leave a space of 15" (and not a curved board like the gaucho has) on the rear wall? because of curves?

Thanks,
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
I have done both and did not cut any mattresses.
I converted front gaucho in an Overlander as depicted in this thread and I converted rear twins to full size bed in an Excella.

Look here for the twins to full conversion
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=twin+beds

Smily
Old 09-15-2004, 06:25 PM   #28
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_argonaut
why leave a space of 15" (and not a curved board like the gaucho has) on the rear wall? because of curves?
Thanks,
Bill
You can use the extra space f you like. I have senn it done that way. I think "theNewkid64" does go all the way to the rear wall in his Argosy MH. I did it to match the factory layout of the Trailers with full size bed.
The bed is side to side (not front to back.)

there is about ten inches to spare at the foot of the bed.

I guess the factory did it this way so you could make the bed without crawling around on it.

The head of the bed does contact the street side of the trailer.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:24 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Send a message via MSN to dmadam
I did not know you could get a futon with memory foam. Who makes/carries it? I was plannint on getting some memory foam and have one made around here the foam is going for $2.00"
Old 10-14-2004, 02:16 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Futon w/ memory foam

Well. it works as a bed - doesn't fold on the Gaucho Frame as I wanted. It was from a shop in Santa Barbara - they had it on a Futon Frame - in my opinion it makes a great bed (a full for $400) but not a good couch - I don't like to sit on it for long periods of time - I can get the contact info from the place in Santa Barbara if you want - let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadam
I did not know you could get a futon with memory foam. Who makes/carries it? I was plannint on getting some memory foam and have one made around here the foam is going for $2.00"