Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #1

2008 27' Safari FB SE
denver , Colorado
Fulltiming mods to 2008 Safari SE 27FB - a puzzle

Hi all, Need some advice from the wizards on the AS Forum. We've been enjoying "Luna", our 2008 27FB, on the week or two at a time recreational outing. We are thinking of going on an extended walkabout and fulltiming in her for 2 or 3 years. We are pretty sure this will work great with a couple of exceptions, so we are thinking about some living room modifications to make it more comfortable as a full time home and overcome the space limits that no slideouts imposes.

The issues are (1) a little more kitchen counter space / storage (2) more comfortable TV viewing / reading seating (3) office area for computer, printer etc. The puzzle is that we can think of how to solve 2 of the 3 ... but not all three!

Here are some ideas ... tell us what you think please!

We have found that we spend all our inside time at the dinette. This works for laptop usage ... but it would be nice to have space for a printer and perhaps our IMAC desktop. We find that we seldom use the sofa under the wall mounted TV. So removing this section of seating and replacing it w a small cabinet - the right custom cabinet would have a small amount of counter space and storage across from the sink, and create a space for the computer office ...

The dinette always has one looking at the TV sorta sideways and we'd love to replace it with a couch or recliners. The space to the left of the door seems large enough ... but then where do we eat?

So we are basically thinking of redoing the "L" formed from the TV around to the door to accommodate these needs. Dining, sitting area, and Desk.

We don't want to spend a zillion dollars but we are in Denver so we'll probably break down and pay to have Timeless Trailers do the mods. Unless you all have other suggestions ... we want it done well (although TT is pretty expensive)

Ideas?

Ideas?????

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
hectormlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It sounds like the classic but reversed floorplan with the couch and credenza/desk. It's the heater that will give you a challenge perhaps. I think the couch will fit but it would extend in front of the door if it folds out to make a bed. Some people leave the table down and use as a permanent lounge with tv or free standing tables. Or could you have post swivel removeable snack tables in the arms of the sofa? I agree about making the side lounge shorter and making storage under the tv as a chair storage and counter and drawer. Sounds like a good plan to me. That's what I wanted to do and had arrived at your same conclusions, however I found it more cost effective to sell the FB and get the Classic, but no longer have a rear door and pano but the appliances are in the right places.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
_

. , .
the main problem with removing AND of the reconfigured furnishings (dinette, sofa,lounge...)

is LOSING the built in storage. those crappy a/s furnishing are FULL of nifty storage nooks.

also the stuff WIRED in/under needs to be addressed.

a minor issue is HOLES in the sheet flooring where the stuff was screwed down.

IF the plan is to go to TT, they can quickly offer layout variations.

but then the primary problems become COST 2do and TIME LOST not using the stream.

i doubt u wanna read or consider this but the real issue is bedroom layout.

a twin bed arrangement is simply better for 'double purposing' that space.

(or even a side/wall positioned DOUBLE bed)

imagine tv watch'n or lounging on bed conversions, or a simple desk/puter station on one side.

the bedroom space (especially with REAR bed models) is the most pliable space in a stream...

because plumbing, wiring, appliances and entry/exit do not muddle up tweaks.

conversely, trying to convert the primary space (galley/lounge/dinette/entry) into a MORE FUNCTIONS doesn't work as well.

what wheel found is ultimately the quickest, cleanest and least costly way to remodel...

trade for a unit with a floor plan that better suits your needs.

fabrics and coverings and surfaces are MUCH easier to REDO that floor plans.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #4

2008 27' Safari FB SE
denver , Colorado
Interesting indeed. Thx guys. We certainly don't want to trade her in! We not only love our AS but we bought Luna new and would take a major depreciation hit i'd imagine. Frankly could make a go of it as she is.

Intrigued about the comment to redo the bedroom instead though. There isn't anything under the bed that needs fiddling with.

We are just 2 ... and want a double bed, so twins isn't the answer ... but ... if we could shift things around to make room for a small desk, that might be interesting ... this may be completely kookoo ... but anyone have any experience with a murphy bed?
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
hectormlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
_

. , .
yeah the M' bed has been the topic of many dream'n streamers...

it's sorta the holy grail of bed layouts that don't really exist for these trailers.

the primary issues are...

1. reliable attachment points (the shell walls really don't qualify)

2. WEIGHT of the mass and HEIGHT of the mass in the UP/stored position.

3. dealing with MOVEMENT and the integrity of the mechanism and frame and mattress.

lots of old threads on this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...bed-11602.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ueen-1326.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ces-44804.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...bed-12265.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/m...oys-40068.html

a simple approach would be a futon style sofa/bed frame (bend/slide out/up) along the wall.

or pullout flex steel style sofa beds now in use (SOME are very comfortable for sleeping)

then the issue is "making the bed" nightly. a real hassle.

this is why 'gaucho' styled sofa/beds were so popular in old streams,

they really do allow 2 functions (actually 3 with dining)

or 4 functions if one includes the storage and mechanicals tucked inside .
_________

no doubt there's emotional attachment to the trailer (especially a FIRST one)...

but once the COSTs of a really good REconfiguration are realized...

it's about the same as the PRICE of trading units and dealing with depreciation/selling/purchase issues.

at least the daydreaming HERE is very inexpensive....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I was all for the queen bed until we used the trailer for several years. The queen used too much space and afforded too little convenient storage. I recently converted to twins and really like the change. The amount of storage I gained is terrific. I put a 3-drawer dresser between the beds against the back wall, but a computer setup would work just as well there.

I also ditched the couch up front and replaced it with two lightweight recliners and a front cabinet that I built. We use little bamboo snack tables that I bought for $10 each at Bed Bath, etc when we eat more than a snack.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote