Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Flip up table details.

I am leaning towards a flip up table(s) as I redo the front living room in my 61' Ambassador.
Does anyone have some detailed pictures I can see? I've looked through 1000s of the pics, but no luck showing construction details.
A table similar to this...
Ohana 40th Anniversary - Ohana74 received new upholstery for her 40th birthday. Photo Gallery
Studioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1996 30' Land Yacht
Riverview , Florida
We have a similar table in our '77 which I rebuilt. Not sure of the availability of hardware. Let me know the pictures you want and I'll send them off list. pryner@verizon.net
pryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I generated a detailed sketchup model based on the flipup table in my '66 Ambassador. Let me know if you want it.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
That would be GREAT!!

Dimensions is not my concern (As I am sure mine will differ because of the year). The directions of the flips, hing assemblies, Leg bracket detail, locking for transport mode, etc.
Even a little video of how it folds up/out would be GREAT!

I'm several weeks out, but I'd rather have the plan down instead of scrambling at the last minute.

But I was convenience, a killer appearance, practicality and comfort all into one setup...
But I do know FOR SURE I want a custom wrap around sofa.
Thanks for anything further you can provide me.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Sorry, no video.
Basically the flip table is connected at a long metal hinge mounted to the wall under a short 'top plate' (seen here from the backside, collapsed):

The short end panel of the table top slides out on wooden runners, and the extra leaf fits in using little metal tabs as guides (the extra leaf stores behind the whole collapsed table top leaning against the wall). I'm not showing the wood runners extended in this pic; but, that's attached to the table top, that's then attached along it's length to the metal hinge.

The table top is supported by a folding metal leg.

The whole assembly could be fabricated from wood; the only 'custom' hardware pieces are the hinge, leg, and alignment tabs for the leaf.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Here's some detail pix:

Hope it helps!
Old 12-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That's like the table in the Classic 30 up to 2014. That one is on the street side and a smaller one on the curb side.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
We had this table built for our 25'FC BY A local carpenter. It is 26 inches wide and folds down for traveling

Gary

Sorry about the sideways photo but I do not know how to rotate them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	229253  
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I am impressed! Wow.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Wow! Thanks!!!

I think I am seeing it... I didn't realize there were leafs involved.
I don't think I want to hassle leafs.
What makes the MOST sense for my application and it would keep closer to the factory dinning table, is a "Pole Table" (With the 2" pole into the bracket mounted in the floor) and a U couch. But I don't think I really want the hassle of stashing the pole and table.
I think I'd like a double flip out table with an L couch (ie: first one flips up with the leg in the bottom, then when needed, the table top of one flip, is the bottom of the next flip){If that makes any sense}...
I would need a blind locking hing (Which I thought I saw in a pic somewhere on this forum).

I could have swore I saw the table I have in my head in a newer AS at a camper show. It set up and dropped down in literally seconds. Then to extend it even farther was even faster. You pulled a bar out that ran on the bottom of the table that has the leg on it, and the next leaf flipped over to make the table probably 6' long. Like I said, all within seconds and when folded up, it burnt maybe 6" of floor space next to the wall. A good trade-off for the convenience IMO.
I should try to scan my sketches to get some opinions. My original plan, a U couch (L couch if I go with the wall mounted flip out table), TONS of storage underneath and the pole table would drop to a bed with pulling out a mount bracket as the couch front sitting edge will be rolled over the front. But the problem is, where to store the table then some kind of cushion for over the table as the U couch will be built-in. I would RARELY need the bed, but better to have and not need than to need and not have.
IMO, that couch will make the look of the camper as you walk in the door. The curbside of the U (Or the L) will have a big slide drawer for outside tables, chairs, etc. It will look amazing and be TOTALLY practical for what we know we want.
Tough call and a HUGE commitment as once I dump the $ & labor, I'm committed.
I wish I could explain this "Locking Hing" setup. It would make a lot more sense. Hoping a newer AS owners sees this thread and posts a pic or two.

THANKS for all the info! You are helping me more than you probably know.
Sorry if this post sounds scattered-brained. In a rush and wrote earlier, then added to it just now.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Hing

I BELIEVE this is the hing I need to do the "Flip up"Table???

Airstream SOSS Hinge | eBay
Old 12-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We built ours using those SOSS hinges, among other things. We have two. Our interior is very custom. We can seat ten people for dinner and the tables disappear entirely in the arms of the nine foot long sofa, they are hinged on sliders.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3420560173.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	229326   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-771537062.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	493.7 KB
ID:	229327  

Name:	image-200912334.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	229328   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1901541220.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	229329  

Name:	image-1072164842.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	229330  
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
We built ours using those SOSS hinges, among other things. We have two. Our interior is very custom. We can seat ten people for dinner and the tables disappear entirely in the arms of the nine foot long sofa, they are hinged on sliders.
Wow!
Very nice... that's what we need, instead of our dinette
Old 12-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #14
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
This is a very thought provoking topic... I have found and installed an original pull out sofa bed in my AS, and need to fabricate the arm rests at each end.
I remember back in school and in lecture halls, there was seating that had those annoying little swing up and flip over tables. That would work on the bumper end of the sofa.
If I remember correctly, they didn't take up more than 1-2 inches when stowed. If necessary, it could be built into the armrest to prevent conflict with the fixed storage table. The table top could be lengthened a bit to hold the groceries. Upholster to match and Ta-daah!
When I get this one figured out, I'll let you all know.
I really need to get into CAD....it is soooo cool.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
This is a very thought provoking topic... I have found and installed an original pull out sofa bed in my AS, and need to fabricate the arm rests at each end.
I remember back in school and in lecture halls, there was seating that had those annoying little swing up and flip over tables. That would work on the bumper end of the sofa.
If I remember correctly, they didn't take up more than 1-2 inches when stowed. If necessary, it could be built into the armrest to prevent conflict with the fixed storage table. The table top could be lengthened a bit to hold the groceries. Upholster to match and Ta-daah!
When I get this one figured out, I'll let you all know.
I really need to get into CAD....it is soooo cool.
Sketchup is a great way to quickly model/visualize your ideas.

It's free, and they have basic tutorials to show you how it works. You'll be making models in no time.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Something like this: It is commercially available. Will call to see if they will sell component parts.

Name:	Deluxe%20with%20tablet%20arm.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	229414

Name:	Deluxe-with-tablet-arm.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	229415