Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
rochester , Minnesota
flip up cabinet springs:?

2005 safari...broke cabinet door (flip up type) spring.....have tried to locate one from dealers but no luck..(desperate) email at :
jebcsb@hotmail.com

Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiards View Post
2005 safari...broke cabinet door (flip up type) spring.....have tried to locate one from dealers but no luck..(desperate) email at :
jebcsb@hotmail.com
Well I tried the Rockler website which is always good for unusual stuff, but I don't know the right keywords. Rockler did have some nice gas lifts.

Simplest fix, call Airstream and have them ship a replacement to your local RV dealer.

Second simplest, go to the Airstream website and find a picture/part number/description of the spring hinge thingy. That could make a search of Rockler or some other hardware website more productive.

Last, call Colaw's RV Salvage and get them to find and ship you a salvage one. ... Without looking at mine, I'm guessing that they are left and right specific, so order carefully or get the pair.

I'm somewhat shocked one broke, those are rather stout hinges on fairly lightwight doors. Is it possible that the spring adjustment screw just came loose and fell out? I know there's a thread here where the owner added these hinges to the cabinet over the fridge... Maybe best mode for under $100?

Paula

Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
rochester , Minnesota
thanks Paula....ya broken spring for sure....went over a r.r. to fast out in the az. desert ...i am sure the bump was so bad the tires came off the ground ...it stretched the brake wire to the axle so bad so fast it snaped....the hwy. dept. had a pull of each way AFTER the tracks, a fifth wheeler had pulled off to check things over......o well i learned something.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
OUCH! Yep, those uneven tracks and unseen potholes will mess you up for sure. I hit a rock turning out of a gas station that damaged a wheel and schwanged my steps something fierce. I've whacked them somewhat back into line, but plan to replace them in spring. Gotta just SLOW down when things look questionable.

Dumbass move too, I KNEW there was a huge station 30 miles down the road that had diesel, but was low... realized after turning in, that there was no way I could get to the pump so went through the neighboring funeral home's parking lot to get back on the road. Saw the rocks but thought I had plenty of room. NOT SO.

Paula
Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Try here

Woodworker's Hardware® - Kitchen Cabinet hardware, clamps, cabinet drawer slides, knobs, pulls, hinges, abrasives, adhesives, cabinet organizers.