Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Finally I'm refinishing the woodwork

At last I get to redo the woodwork in the "Trotter". This is more pleasure than than redoing a Steinway. The cabinets look deceptively simple but I do appreciate the workmanship, lots of as curves and miters as I found out when rebuilding a couple of them. I do have to say that the finish in '63 wasn't the best (colored lacquer and not much off it) but it makes for easy stripping. At this point I have about 2/3 stripped and should be done with the rest with about another 8 hours of masking and stripping.

After that, a little minor veneer repair , then a '60's color stain job and into the finish . I'd like to do lacquer and be done in a long day of spraying but I worry about the overspray and it's effect on my fridge. So it will be a special varnish mix that I've used in restoring fine antiques. I guess a '63 A/S qualifies as fine antique.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm not a fan of lacquer around water, it just doesn't hold up in my experience.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Progress, sounds good

Good to hear of your progress.
Are you going to post pictures?
I bought a camera to post pictures and have not so I understand but a job well done is worth showing to others.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
At last I get to redo the woodwork in the "Trotter". This is more pleasure than than redoing a Steinway. The cabinets look deceptively simple but I do appreciate the workmanship, lots of as curves and miters as I found out when rebuilding a couple of them. I do have to say that the finish in '63 wasn't the best (colored lacquer and not much off it) but it makes for easy stripping. At this point I have about 2/3 stripped and should be done with the rest with about another 8 hours of masking and stripping.

After that, a little minor veneer repair , then a '60's color stain job and into the finish . I'd like to do lacquer and be done in a long day of spraying but I worry about the overspray and it's effect on my fridge. So it will be a special varnish mix that I've used in restoring fine antiques. I guess a '63 A/S qualifies as fine antique.
The original finish on your cabinets was likely just an oil finished applied directly to the bare wood. No stain,laquer,poly etc. AS used Watco natural danish oil during the 60's. The great thing about oil finishes is it is just wiped on. And when it starts to look dried out, just wipe on another coat and the woodwork looks like new again. I would stay clear of laquer, stains etc. as they are not as easy to renew, unless you want to change the color. (As an aside, I like Waterlox as opposed to Watco for the finishing oil. It's sold at Woodcraft.)
Remember that any oil finish will amber after a little time. I had rebuilt several of the cabinets in our rig with new walnut and just lightly sanded the remaining cabs. Several months after finishing, I can't tell the difference from the old and new. After the finish cures, take some Johnson's paste wax (it's for wood, not car wax) and wax the cabinets with the grain using #0000 steel wool. Your cabinets will have a buttery smooth feel. Good luck on your refinish job, I know what you mean about it bringing more pleasure than redoing a Steinway... Hey, post some pics and your "secret recipe" if you decide to go that route! --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I've started taking some pictures, forgot to get a before of the interior. Got a large portion stained today mainly doors and drawers so i'm making good progress.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
So how's it coming? Would love to see what you're up to as to stain & finish - we're thinking of doing the same.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Had it all done but I've got some doors that I don't like the color on so I'm going to redo them. A few more hours of labor won't really matter. I can't believe that amount of hours I've got in this job and I do this professionally. Lots of masking and hardware to deal with plus veneer repair and some drawer and cabinet rebuild work. Since it's my Airstream it's fun rather than work. I'll get some pictures up when I'm done.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Interior picture

Here is my first attempt at putting a picture of the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCT 2007 AS interior 012_resize.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	52185  
Old 01-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Wow - looks nice! The curtain fabric is a lot of fun, too.