Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Drawer question

We have a 07 25 ft FB Airstream. On our last trip out the drawer located under the dinnet seat but the door came out of its bracket. I placed the drawer back into the rails but it will not stay in place. Is there something holding the drawer in place in the rails. I hope I have explained this correctly.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We had the same problem with a similar drawer on our 25FB. I finally configured a small velcro strap to hold it in place while underway. I finally replaced the whole drawer with a large plastic bin. It holds a lot more and is easier to use.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Look on the back of the drawer. There's a plastic doorstop hook like thingy that fits into some kind of latch that's mounted behind the drawer... Mine broke early on and had to be replaced. You can replace it with most standard drawer hardware you find at the big box stores. There is a lot of strain on that particular drawer when it's loaded, so it's not a bad idea to wedge it closed when you're underway. I keep a plastic dustpan near the door, and pair of clogs to run around the campsite. Either make a good wedge for that drawer.

This drawer is designed to hold files - but with it's location isn't terribly efficient - and has a LOT of waste space below, behind and on both sides of it. If you look at a picture of a Classic you'll see how differently that seat area is configured. The back has a cabinet for folding chairs, and the underseat area is one big tub like storage bin that you access by folding up the seat base.

I've seen a few people eliminate the drawer to get more use of the space under it.

Have fun fixing it, you'll have to lie on your stomach so get everything you'll need before you start or have a standby to bring you stuff.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink dropping your drawers....

Does your drawer slide look like this?...if so, thats how I fixed it.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Look on the back of the drawer. There's a plastic doorstop hook like thingy that fits into some kind of latch that's mounted behind the drawer... Mine broke early on and had to be replaced. You can replace it with most standard drawer hardware you find at the big box stores. There is a lot of strain on that particular drawer when it's loaded, so it's not a bad idea to wedge it closed when you're underway. I keep a plastic dustpan near the door, and pair of clogs to run around the campsite. Either make a good wedge for that drawer.

This drawer is designed to hold files - but with it's location isn't terribly efficient - and has a LOT of waste space below, behind and on both sides of it. If you look at a picture of a Classic you'll see how differently that seat area is configured. The back has a cabinet for folding chairs, and the underseat area is one big tub like storage bin that you access by folding up the seat base.

I've seen a few people eliminate the drawer to get more use of the space under it.

Have fun fixing it, you'll have to lie on your stomach so get everything you'll need before you start or have a standby to bring you stuff.
Even in the classics, there is wasted space around the dinette drawers. I use this space to store rarely needed flat(ish) items like 25', 30 amp extension cord, misc small replacement parts and screws.....etc. Lots of other stuff I can't think of right now. (That's why I keep a list of where these items are tucked away.....by the time I need them, I can never remember which cubby hole I put them in.)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Drawers in the rear of trailers take a real beating, because that is where the trailer rides the roughest. On our rear bedroom 25 there was a drawer in a night stand between the beds that was always coming open while we were driving, and that distroyed the roller rails in short order.

I went to Lowes, bought a heavy duty set of drawer slides, installed them, and then also put some stick-on velcro on the drawer face inside, which stopped the drawer from opening easily. I had no more problems with the drawer after that.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Our 25-footer has a nightstand in the rear, between the two beds. On one of our initial trips, when it was brand new nearly a dozen years ago, we arrived at our destination and found the drawer on the floor between the beds. Fortunately, it did no serious damage as it came out. Since the drawer faces forward, it is vulnerable to the normal motion of the trailer traveling down the highway. I wasn’t too keen to put a Velcro strap on the outside, so I installed one of those inexpensive “childproof” latches inside the drawer to keep it from flying out if it jumps the detent in the drawer hardware track. I used the same “Kindergard” product that I used when our kids were at a young age. It has kept the drawer in place for nearly a dozen years over thousands of miles, and is easily depressed when you partially open the drawer. And it’s invisible when the drawer is closed.