Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Easley , South Carolina
Dinette: Looking for Photo's and Measurements

I'm thinking about installing a dinette is my 1975 AS Land Yacht. I would sure like to hear from someone who may have some measurements and maybe a photo or two. Ever time I go to an AS dealer I run in one right quick but the salesman is there before I can get my ruler out. I would sure appreciate any thing you would be willing to share.

Thanks,

BJ
Member #9091

The difference between genious and stupidity is that genious has it's limits: Einstien
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No measurements - they wouldn't match-up year-wise anyway, but lots of photos to show how I did it in our '64 GT.

New Dinette

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Dinette Photo

Hi John

Here is a link to my photo of my dinette table after resurfacing with WilsonArt Deepstar Mineral.

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...873&original=1

Redid this to match the new counter top over the "Entertainment Center". I don't have measurements with me right now, but if you'd like I can put some up later.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Photos??

Photos? Good Luck!! Our beloved Airstream site has taken a Left Turn.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Easley , South Carolina
WOW what a beautiful Airstream, that is one of the nicest Airstreams I've seen. I can work out the measurements from the layout, that was what I had the most problem with. Thanks for sharing those with me.

Best regards,

BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi John

Here is a link to my photo of my dinette table after resurfacing with WilsonArt Deepstar Mineral.

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...873&original=1

Redid this to match the new counter top over the "Entertainment Center". I don't have measurements with me right now, but if you'd like I can put some up later.

Vaughan
Member #9091

The difference between genious and stupidity is that genious has it's limits: Einstien
Old 08-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Easley , South Carolina
Thanks for that great information and the pics. Man you did a beautiful job putting that together.

Regards,

BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
No measurements - they wouldn't match-up year-wise anyway, but lots of photos to show how I did it in our '64 GT.

New Dinette

Shari
Member #9091

Old 08-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Thank You Very Much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
WOW what a beautiful Airstream, that is one of the nicest Airstreams I've seen. I can work out the measurements from the layout, that was what I had the most problem with. Thanks for sharing those with me.

Best regards,

BJ
Hi BJ,

I really appreciate it. It is setup for me to live in single. I’m parked for a while…job and new TV complications. I’m quite comfortable in it, AC aside (another thread, to be resolved soon. I really enjoy the dinette. Having a place to sit down and have dinner or work on something makes all the difference. My brother and sister-in-law have a 1984 32’ Excella and they are jealous. I think I see a 34 in their future.

To the point. The tabletop is 34” by 26”. The seats are 34” by 23”, for a total area of 34” by 72 and 3/4”. Gives you a little fudge factor between the table and the seats. As you can see from the photos in my area, the bottom is a much larger radius where the tambours track. The top I made has a much larger radius than the original, but still much less than the seats. The original top has corners curved much like a bottle cap. I think the new one is much more graceful.

Another note…when I removed the original, I had to struggle for about half an hour to drop it from the wall brackets in the up position. I kept thinking, “What am I doing wrong?” I dutifully put the tabs on the top in the same position as the original, tried to slip the tabs in the wall brackets, and they were at least ¼” too close together. All I can think of is when the put it in at the factory, someone held it up while someone else got below and hammered it into place. You’ll be ahead. You can take your own measurements.

And yes. InsideOut did a great job on that front gaucho to dinette conversion.

Vaughan
Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
One of the members here (Pizzachop) has photos of the one he did. Look in his photos or search. I know there are others as well...
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #9
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Conversion of 74 Sovereign into dinette

Here's a before & after picture of the conversion of the front couch into a dinette. The table folds down as well. We also relocated 3 group 31 AGM batteries to the front middle. Cork floor replaced the old carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1DCP_0496_edited-2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	42994   Click image for larger version

Name:	1forward dinette with fold down table_edited-2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	42995  

Name:	front dinette table folded down.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	42996  
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Below are a couple of pics of the dinette I built in my '73 Sovereign. There are some pics of it in my photos section as well as the one I built in a '72 Overlander. I think the second one is an improvement over the first one.

Here's the drawing for the Sovereign dinette (I made it a bit lighter than the first one by framing it and using 1/4" oak plywood for the "picture frame" look. (I had to make my own oak molding because I used 7/8" plywood for the frames. If you use 3/4" oak plywood, you can purchase oak trim molding to face your exposed edges.)

Here's the Overlander dinette with dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dinette 005 webcopy1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	42997   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinetteconstsm1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	42998  

PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Easley , South Carolina
Hi Vaughan, thanks for sharing the measurements that will be a great help. You mentioned Inside Out as who did the conversion, where are they located? I'm in South Carolina and would love for someone to do this for me. The only reason I was going to try and tackle it myself, there is no one close by that does what I need.

Thanks again for the help.

BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi BJ,

I really appreciate it. It is setup for me to live in single. I’m parked for a while…job and new TV complications. I’m quite comfortable in it, AC aside (another thread, to be resolved soon. I really enjoy the dinette. Having a place to sit down and have dinner or work on something makes all the difference. My brother and sister-in-law have a 1984 32’ Excella and they are jealous. I think I see a 34 in their future.

To the point. The tabletop is 34” by 26”. The seats are 34” by 23”, for a total area of 34” by 72 and 3/4”. Gives you a little fudge factor between the table and the seats. As you can see from the photos in my area, the bottom is a much larger radius where the tambours track. The top I made has a much larger radius than the original, but still much less than the seats. The original top has corners curved much like a bottle cap. I think the new one is much more graceful.

Another note…when I removed the original, I had to struggle for about half an hour to drop it from the wall brackets in the up position. I kept thinking, “What am I doing wrong?” I dutifully put the tabs on the top in the same position as the original, tried to slip the tabs in the wall brackets, and they were at least ¼” too close together. All I can think of is when the put it in at the factory, someone held it up while someone else got below and hammered it into place. You’ll be ahead. You can take your own measurements.

And yes. InsideOut did a great job on that front gaucho to dinette conversion.

Vaughan
Member #9091

Old 08-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Project Dinette

Hi BJ,

Looks like InsideOut’s in Colorado. My comments are from their link. If you are not comfortable doing this, look for a cabinet maker. Then show him the links from InsideOut, whitelight, and PizzaChops. They are all good.

Mine is a side dinette, so different. If that’s what you are interested in doing, I will provide all the guidance I can. I could provide you with some drawings if you need them. The comments about framing and using ¼” plywood are right on point. A common newbie mistake is to overbuild new cabinets.

Vaughan
Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
You mentioned Inside Out as who did the conversion, where are they located? I'm in South Carolina and would love for someone to do this for me. The only reason I was going to try and tackle it myself, there is no one close by that does what I need.

Thanks again for the help.

BJ
Yes, I am in Colorado...but I don't do this for others, just a do-it-yourselfer here, sorry. Our trailer "Maxwell" is the one we did the gaucho/dinette remodel to and I have enough to keep me busy with our second refurb "Birdy" right now ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Oh my gosh, Vaughn, your A/S is GORGEOUS!! It looks very comfortable and retro-stylish. VERY nice work!

Brad and I may bug you for a tour one of these weekends!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote