Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
De-laminating counter trim

We have some trim that has pulled loose from the inside curve of our galley counter. It looks like the kind of trim tape that can be heated back into place with an iron. Has anyone dealt with this? There is about an 1/8 inch gap and the tape is continuing to pull away, although it hasn't been exposed to moisture.
Thanks,
Janet
Old 04-02-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Yup we've seen that in our CCD

We had a leaking faucet in the Bathroom and it leaked over into the trim and loosened it. We had it reglued by the dealer as part of our warranty. I'm not sure what caused yours to loosen.....but if it's in the galley, it's exposed to lots of water from washing dishes and wiping countertops. Most likely it's due to moisture. Your warranty should cover this repair. If you're a fer piece from the dealer and want to save a trip, you could try and reglue it yourself.

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Been there, done that!

It happened here and there on my 25 FB SE too. I first noticed it on the edges of the shelves in the medicine cabinet, later I found a spot near the sink, and one on the table. I did just iron it back on.

You want the iron to be hot enough to steam, (cotton, not linen). If an extremely long piece is loose it can stretch while hot, so you may want to loosen it all the way to the end, the iron it down from the middle to the end and cut off any little overage. If just a couple of inches is loose, put paper towels over it. Press your iron on the for about 15 seconds and remove the iron and the towels. DON'T touch the laminate until it's completely cold. A little glue might come out of the seam, but that can be rubbed off once cold. If you've got a long strip loose, do not rub the iron back and forth, but just pick it up, move it and put it back down again.

It may be a "warranty repair" but it's too simple to do it yourself to waste the time going to the dealer. It takes longer for the iron to heat than to do the repair.

Paula
Old 04-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks to both of you for your good suggestions. It sounds like we should be able to do the fix ourselves, and I now realize that routine water splashes contributed to the problem...Hope this is the end of it.
Janet
Old 04-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Another member here had the same problem and took it to the authorized repair place in Bell. G&C? Anyway as a warranty repair they ran an aluminum trim piece all around the counters and table. Looks really good and of course the problem is solved forever.

I'm having the beginnings of this problem too. Long lasting good looking Aluminum trim sounds about perfect to me.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Laminate

I hate too tell you, but the edge is only the start. My laminate is comming off everywhere and it's not warrenty according too Airstream, so New Acrylic Solid Surface goes on Thur.
The kitchen counter base is $500.00 from Airstream.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The chrome trim sounds like a beautiful solution, it is used on the David Winick AS, looks sharp!

We had that problem on the Safaris too. I didn't know about heating the strip. I pulled the strip away and used wood glue and strapping tape to tension it tauntly from over the top across the strip and underneath--better than clamps for the purpose, until it dried then removed the tape. I also had to go over my edges with an finger nail emery board which really did a good job on any rough edges.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
It was covered

Janet,

We did have the aluminum trim on all of the edges of our counter and table installed under warranty by C & G Trailer in So Cal. Rod's team did a nice job. The top side of the trim has a rolled lip which effectively secures both the side and top of the counters/table laminate. It was our understanding that Airstream prefered to repair the problem this way because it is a permanent fix as opposed to reheating or regluing.

We will have our Safari at Casini where you can check it out.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Terrific. That's my favorite solution so far. Look forward to see it first-hand in a couple of weeks.
Janet
Old 04-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sounds like a good idea, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Janet,

We did have the aluminum trim on all of the edges of our counter and table installed under warranty by C & G Trailer in So Cal. Rod's team did a nice job. The top side of the trim has a rolled lip which effectively secures both the side and top of the counters/table laminate. It was our understanding that Airstream prefered to repair the problem this way because it is a permanent fix as opposed to reheating or regluing.

We will have our Safari at Casini where you can check it out.

John
That laminate is very thin, and a rolled edge piece of aluminum trim would do a great job of softening the rough edges. Since I'm going to the summer solstice rally I may just blow the money on a new sink base - with the lobster pot sink. I know it's only one sink, but it's big and deep. I splash everywhere with the tiny twosome!

Paula Ford