Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Covering vs. Replacing 1969 yellow laminate countertops

Hi. I have a 1969 Globetrotter with yellow laminate counter tops. They're in great condition, but... yellow. Any ideas for covering them (preferably) or replacing them? I definitely don't want to add much weight so I'm hoping for a lightweight solution.

I don't know if I can paint the walls of the Airstream but if I could do that then the yellow counter tops might not be so loud. I'm just kinda brainstorming solutions now.

Any ideas welcome!
LindsayRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
You can lay new laminate over the old successfully if you sand the original first with an 80 grit sandpaper. You will only be adding the weight of the laminate and a little glue - probably less than 15lbs total. The edge treatment that you currently have may be an issue though.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
You can lay new laminate over the old successfully if you sand the original first with an 80 grit sandpaper. You will only be adding the weight of the laminate and a little glue - probably less than 15lbs total. The edge treatment that you currently have may be an issue though.

I've done this in several kitchen and bath remodels with very good results. If your existing laminate is still firmly adhered you should be fine.

I remove the laminate edge band and apply the new edge trim directly to the old substrate though, as the edging bond is sometimes weak. I've also removed the edge laminate and added t-slot edge trim which comes in many configurations.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
What Dryfly says. You will need to remove the backsplash (If any) to do it properly, and that can mean the easiest way is to remove the entire countertop. The front edge trim will need to be removed too, so the laminate can go all the way to the edge of the countertop.

Then when you reinstall the edge trim it will be slightly higher, so it will be attached with new holes in the countertop edge.

Now, the yellow countertops I can live with, it is the truly ugly green ones that make me barf. (well they also look like barf). Sorry.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Great advise so far,

A reasonable approach to personalizing your trailer is a fresh counter-top.
Yes, you can simply recover the original, possibly in place, but that method, which can be hugely successful, isn't warranted by laminate tradesmen.

Laminate work is fairly easy, and can be a do it yourself project where learning from your mistakes isn't too costly, and the tools you'll need will be handy in the future. Never turn away from reasons to buy tools. Fly-cutting the substrate edge for "T" banding could be intimidating for a first timer, but is a mark of workmanship that elicits oohs and aahs..

Make a decision on color and style, You-Tube, and go for it. A concerted effort will be rewarding. You could also remove the counter-top intact and take it to a cabinet shop where they can replicate it any way you desire. In removal, there's a frustrating episode of screw finding entailed, but with care, it will eventually come apart in one piece.

The vinyl weave wall covering is bonded to the aluminum by the manufacturer Kaiser? or Alcoa? and very durable. Doing the prep-work for good paint adhesion is more entailed than simply scrubbing it clean. The original vinyl, clean and unpainted has greatest value. The vinyl cleans quite well, and is infinitely more durable than paint. You just have to follow appropriate cleaning procedures which come down to a lot of elbow grease. The "Signlady" posts well on this subject. There's as much said about successfully cleaning these walls in the forum archives, as the nightmares of poor paint adhesion. Resist the urge to paint the walls.

Globe Trotters RULE!
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If it were my trailer I would just simply leave the counters alone-
Period correct and instantly identifiable as 60's/mid-century modern decor means more to me than updated counters I guess.
If you just can't stomach the yellow, either brown and pink boomerangs on a white background or gold specks on a white background- period correct-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
We have a 69 GT as well that came with the Yellow. We carefully pulled them out and used them as a template for our new counters. We just bought them from Ikea. They look great and it is was fairy cheap to do. https://canadiancampingcouple.wordpress.com
CDNCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
We have the yellow in our 69 Safari also. It is in such good shape though that we are going to leave it as is. The sink cover has the same laminate on it and it serves as a cutting board when turned over. For now we'll leave it as is but these are all great ideas and input!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Joshua Tree , California
Ugh. I've got the green ones.
StarckMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #10

1978 31' Sovereign
Danville , Indiana
Just refinished my 1978 31' Sovereign counters with paint. Came from Home Depot online and is made for countertops, by Giani. I'm happy with the results, don't know about longevity yet.
Indy Anna is offline   Reply With Quote