Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Cayce , South Carolina
counter top

the original counter top in 1961 Outlander has been painted black. I am thinking about using a stripper to try and remove. Any ideas on removing paint? i tried sanding but it did not work and paint is tacky feeling if something is left sitting on counter.
Thanks
Buzz1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
If you already tried sanding, then stripping is probably the only way to go (unless the labor justifies resurfacing or replacing).

Maybe they covered it with a plastic or rubberized coating instead of paint. Try and determine what stripping product to use and test a sample area. Use a good mask, chemical-resistant gloves, and plenty of ventilation.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Most pros will recommend mechanical methods (sanding, scraping) over chemicals whenever you can. Don't underestimate the power of a rented or borrowed belt sander and a crepe block (to clean the paper).

All that said, sometimes straight replacement is cheapest if you value your labor...
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Cayce , South Carolina
Thanks
Buzz1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Original countertop was a formica type product. If you want to preserve it, I would not use a belt sander - it has the potential to chew right through the formica…

Instead use a safe stripper type product. I have used SmartStrip by Dumond - available at Sherwin Williams and some Home Depots - very safe on the user, the environment, and on most plastics. Try it on a small area first to see how quickly it works and that the formica is not affected. Some paints lift very quickly and are easily removed with a plastic scraper. Other paints may require a longer time to lift and you may also need to cover the stripper with plastic to keep it moist for the longer wait times. Make sure you protect those areas where you don't want the stripper!

Let us know how it all turns out - photos are always appreciated...Geo
Old 08-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Allow me to toss out an idea I considered a while back. It's a coating that makes old countertops look like Corian.

https://www.miraclemethod.com/pinellas-county

The link happens to be the one I bookmarked, but there are franchises around the country.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote