Old 09-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
counter edging

In my 78 the edging insert on the counter of the entertainment cabinet is pulled out and seems to have shrunk. Especially where it goes around the curves. It is the same wood grain look as the counter, on a plastic insert. Can this be replaced, or redone? Any suggestions are appreciated.

1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
If you get to a more woodshop kind of store, you can buy the thin wood strips, about 3/4" wide by 10' long or so. It comes in 2 styles. The you glue it on and wait to finish it, or the factory installed hot glue on the back kind.

The hot glue kind installs with an clothes iron and can be finished immediately.
Figure about $1 per foot, usual types, oak, maple, mahogany, birch, pine.

Glue it on to cover the edge, then use your laminte trimmer to get rid of excess.

Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am fighting the same issue. FWIW laminates come in a couple of different "grades" (read thickness) not all laminates or colors are available in all grades. I used to buy what they called an edging grade. IIRC it was about the right thickness for what we need. Now the challenge is finding a good color match. I am pretty sure Wilsonart makes one that is close, but haven't had the time to track it down yet. You might want to consider some other options, such as painting or just leaving it gold. Also be forewarned the extruded corners are the same way as the edges...and I have broken a couple of those already

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I am away from my home computer; however, if you will PM me, I'll try to send you the link to a company that makes several kinds of molding, including T-molding. Judy
juel is offline   Reply With Quote